The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By billster
I'm looking at applying for a new job which could potentially end up with me doing c. 30k miles each year. Apparently they don't have a company car scheme but I can get a company car allowance. I've never had anything like that before, and use my old EP3 to commute the 8miles on a couple of days each week at the moment.
Does anyone have any experience of the company car allowance?
And what's the best way to spend it?
I'm guessing leases are out because of the higher mileage.

As for what car, I don't really mind as long as it's not too slow, comfy, economical, and reliable. Was thinking maybe diesel Golf?

Yawn!
By billster
pulpmelon_r wrote:Do they pay per mile in addition to the allowance?
I'm not sure to be honest. I'll have to ask. I imagine they will pay as little as they can get away with. Standard!
By mjhamilton
Most just give you a lump sum every month which you pay your standard Tax and NI against

What you are left with can then be used to buy/lease whatever you want and off you go

Some do an allowance and a subsidised list of cars to choose from post tax and NI

On top of that you should receive a fuel lump sum which again you pay tax against or a fuel card which you can use for company travel

It really depends on the company and the offer they are making - plus I thinking you are using the car for business only you may be able to claim some tax back on your annual return

Do you know the terms and conditions yet? Remember the allowance may have to pay for running costs, tax and insurance as well
By billster
Thanks for the info. This is obviously all new to me. I'm going to have to do a lot more question-asking by the sounds of it.
Assuming I will get (taxable) cash towards a car, rather than a lease scheme with a third party, I guess I'll just be wanting the most economical car I can cope with....
I've just bought what car magazine so I'll be studying that tonight and looking at the costs per mile....
By billster
adamsmith wrote:Get the job first mate. Then start the car talk
Good point. Good point. The only thing is I likely won't have much notice from getting the job to starting it. Suppose I could just drive the ep3 for a few weeks until I can find a replacement.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]