The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By gavin_T
As much as I love my car and it serving me well over the last five years im thinking of a change. Just looking into things at the moment as I want to keep the civic for the summer to do track days etc then will get serious after september.
Not really sure what I want but I feel it needs to be different or better then the civic. RWD maybe for a change?

So far my shortlist idea consists of

>Focus RS - really like them for some reason but its essentially a newer more expensive version of my car. No better handling or faster etc
>E46 M3 - like them but I feel they are a bit dated now, E90 M3 would be dregs of the market so probably best avoided
>Audi RS4 estate - Like them and always have, plus bikes will go in easy , but ive heard a few horror storys and expensive parts like brakes etc
> Porche - sensible boxster, cayman or some form of older 911, dont know alot about either
> GT86, - nice but a bit slow?
> S2000, do like my hondas but not sure of the handling, didnt feel conifdent driving the one I tried.
>Evo, fast but possibly boring, expensive bills? or could be ok if I get a good one
>BMW 135i coupe - suposed to be good drive, toys and newer then an m3.....

I short any suggestions? :lol

Weekend car and doesnt do any miles but needs to be able to cover distance if needed. Did like elises but without a garage to keep it in I feel its a bad idea

Budget upto 20k for the right car. But would prefer around 10-15k

GO!
By s_barker
I have not long sold my 335i which was a really nice car but just wasn't for me. I prefer going out and playing in a hot hatch come the weekend the beemer was just to smooth and boring even after mapping and full straight thro system!

I'm now onto a focus rs which I love to drive but think the inside of the car let's it down alot. I'm not a fan of the grey and black plastic dash. But it's the noise that does it for me. A standard one ain't all that exciting power wise but after a map with a few goodies it becomes alot more fun.
By gavin_T
s_barker wrote:I have not long sold my 335i which was a really nice car but just wasn't for me. I prefer going out and playing in a hot hatch come the weekend the beemer was just to smooth and boring even after mapping and full straight thro system!

I'm now onto a focus rs which I love to drive but think the inside of the car let's it down alot. I'm not a fan of the grey and black plastic dash. But it's the noise that does it for me. A standard one ain't all that exciting power wise but after a map with a few goodies it becomes alot more fun.

Noise is the main reason i want one i sure haha
Just not sure i would be happy paying that amount for one and it been not much of an improvement if any over the charged ep3
By MattRST
Evo Xs are a good price at the moment, mapped past 360 they start to get fun.

Just had mine detailed

By tomhighton
You've pretty much considered everything decent

370z
Z4 mcoupe maybe a little less dated than e46
Lexus Isf your at the bottom end of the market at 20k
By MattRST
Yeah well worth it, I've had mine over 3 years and driven 50k ish, trackdays, school run, Daily hack, Europe holidays , Nurburgring etc SST is immense on track in S-Sport mode and then normal mode for the relaxed drive
By tomhighton
MattRST wrote:Yeah well worth it, I've had mine over 3 years and driven 50k ish, trackdays, school run, Daily hack, Europe holidays , Nurburgring etc SST is immense on track in S-Sport mode and then normal mode for the relaxed drive
The more I hear about evo x the more I want one :lol:
By gavin_T
I think i would go for an older shape evo if i did. Bottom of the list at the mo. 135i coupe and gt86 winning me over at the mo. But i havemt driven either yet.....
By tomhighton
You can always put a Litchfield supercharger kit on the gt86 should be a match for your ep3

or for those on a bigger budget

and you can fit a supra engine if that's not cool I don't know what is

By adamsmith
I would go for the E92 M3. With a 20k budget you will find a decent early one on a 57/08 plate with 50-60k miles.

Remap and a decat and your talking 450hp+

Or what about an E60 M5?

500hp V10 and 4 doors.

If your looking at a porsche then i would go for a 996 C4S on around a 53/04 plate Only has 320hp but it definitely has a lot of road presence and 4wd.
By gavin_T
Fn2 wont gain anything over what i have though.

Been reading up on 135i and it looks like they are easy to get good power and torque from for a little input. Look nice too with a few subtle changes.

Charged gt86 would be spot on. Lots of doller though

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]