The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By WelshyWelsh
Hi guys

I've put down a deposit on a Mugen 200 with 23k miles on it with a private seller.

The HPI check has come back perfectly, with one major exception. The mileage history reads like this:

Data currently held on the National Mileage Register (NMR) indicates that there may be a mileage discrepancy on this vehicle.

Mileages as recorded by the National Mileage Register

Date recorded Recorded by Mileage reading Total
27-Apr-2012 DVLA 9,000 9,000
12-Jun-2012 DVLA 10,000 10,000
25-Jun-2013 NMR 47,243 47,243
26-Jun-2013 DVLA 12,000 12,000

The car had its first MOT on 26 June 2013, so my question is how are the 2012 figures reached (servicing?) and how can there be such a change over 1 day between 47,243 and 12,000?!

The only genuine figure seems to be the 47,243 as the others appear rounded up/down.

I have asked to see pictures of the service book and MOT certificate (he's in Scotland, I'm in Cardiff) but I'm not convinced this will reassure me.

Any help appreciated!
By baddohc
Hi buddy. When cars are bought or sold/traded in.

Motor vehicle dealers hpi check them and often
Enter the mileages in.

It's common practise to cut the mileage on new cars before the mot is due.

Get another one.
By WelshyWelsh
Thanks guys. He's emailed me a pic of the four service stamps and stamps 2 and 3 match the HPI report (which had rounded up). The first one isn't listed on HPI but matches the service invoice. The most recent matches the current mileage stated.

The MOT mileage for last year and this year match up on VOSA also.

In short, it all looks as it should. I've spoken to NMR who have also accepted a mistake has been made which will sort the HPI report.

Waiting to see if it works out otherwise I'll walk away.
By ShaunCTR
This is weird!!!

I work in the car industry and I had a customer wanting to buy a Kia Venga from me. They did their own HPI check last week and that one said the car had done 120k!!!

It was a 13 plate car with only 10k on but the service history married up perfectly with what the clocks read!!

When we did our own experien gold check that also read 120K for some odd reason.
By baddohc
When some dealers do hpi checks, the insert the current mileage.
This builds up the mileage record history in part amongst other sources.
Sometimes dealers enter the wrong miles or round it up.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]