The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By Frankthetank1
Hello I am new to the forum and I am currently trying to decide what car to buy next. I am currently stuck between two options 1) get a nice low mileage ep3 for anything up to £6000 or 2) a bmw 123d coupe or hatch for anywhere between £10-15000. I know I may get slightly biased views on here but it's worth asking.

They are opposite end of the scale for the type of cars I know, but the thinking behind it is il have less monthly repayments on the ep3 although il spend more on fuel where as the bmw would be higher but the running costs would be lower. Both cars are around the same price to insure. The bmw would be on a longer finance/loan as well. I do about 15k a year.

I am almost 24 and need to start saving for a house, there is no rush to move out so I can still save and have something to enjoy at the same time. What would you go for in my situation?

My previous car was an Astra VXR Nurburgring which I spent quite a lot on. If I was to get the civic would I get the mod bug again? Although if I was to buy the bmw it would be remapped straight away but that's where I would leave it.

Which would be quicker in standard form?
By Lewisgame
Wouldn't bother getting finance for an EP3. Hold out and save between £4-5k and you should be able to find one decent enough.
Running costs of the BMW won't be cheaper. Servicing, brakes, suspension, tyres ect will all be more expensive. You'll only save on tax and possibly on fuel.
By Frankthetank1
Lewisgame wrote:Wouldn't bother getting finance for an EP3. Hold out and save between £4-5k and you should be able to find one decent enough.
Running costs of the BMW won't be cheaper. Servicing, brakes, suspension, tyres ect will all be more expensive. You'll only save on tax and possibly on fuel.
I suppose your right about the parts and that. I wouldn't finance it all but the low mileage premiers all seem to be out my price range without a little help from the bank at the min and any borrowings will be paid off in a short time. I'm due to start a new insurance policy next month so would like to have a new car ready for then.

As I am coming from a turbo petrol car will I be unsatisfied with the performance of the type r? I know you have to drive them hard and if I have one it will be slightly modified just the usual bits n bobs.

Has anyone on here had both cars?
By bonezzz
Depends if you want to go fast or have fun. Had an mps, it's was fast. That's about it, one trick pony. But genuinely miss my ep3.
By Frankthetank1
Fun would be the main priority to be honest, although the bmw always gets me thinking about it being a bit more luxurious. The car will be kept for 2/3 years while I save for my house deposit. Really unsure what to do.
By Frankthetank1
That's what I was thinking but all the stuff I have read about remapping the 123d is that it starts to feel more like a petrol, granted it will never be the same but they are supposed to go well and dare I say will be quicker than the type r?

Insurance isn't too much of a problem as it's about the same on the two cars. Only once the mods start getting serious then il see a big difference.
By daytona365
Frankthetank1 wrote:That's what I was thinking but all the stuff I have read about remapping the 123d is that it starts to feel more like a petrol, granted it will never be the same but they are supposed to go well and dare I say will be quicker than the type r?

Insurance isn't too much of a problem as it's about the same on the two cars. Only once the mods start getting serious then il see a big difference.
If you're tempted by a BMW then have you considered a 130i? I made the switch from a CTR and was at first looking at 123d's. The more you read into the timing chain issues on the N47 engines, the more it puts you off though.
I'd always though that a 130i would be expensive to run, but they're not! I can average up to about 33mpg on the commute, plus the tax is £265 for the year too.
Oh and the engine....what a beaut. Probably the finest (and most probably the last) 3.0 na that BMW have ever built.
Try one dude, you might be surprised.
By J@mes
I wouldn't get either if you're saving for a house.
By NHB_EP3_Chris
If you are doing 15k a year I recommend going for a Beemer. The EP3 is great fun and goes well but it doesn't make a great commuter if you're going a decent distance. It wasn't the fuel consumption (could get about 38mpg on a motorway run), it was just a bit wearing with the combination of 4k rpm at 80mph, road noise and poor lumbar support from the seats. It's just not what they are designed for. The bmws are much more grown up, have a better interior and generally more equipment. They also handle very, very well in standard m sport guise...

Just bear in mind the runflats on the 1's make the ride on-par with an ep3. Either buy one with decent normal tyres or go for the 3 series. To put it in perspective, my 320d with 255/30/19s rides noticeably smoother that my brother's 120d with 205/45/16s, both on RFTs.
By NHB_EP3_Chris
daytona365 wrote:
Frankthetank1 wrote:That's what I was thinking but all the stuff I have read about remapping the 123d is that it starts to feel more like a petrol, granted it will never be the same but they are supposed to go well and dare I say will be quicker than the type r?

If you're tempted by a BMW then have you considered a 130i? I made the switch from a CTR and was at first looking at 123d's. The more you read into the timing chain issues on the N47 engines, the more it puts you off though.
I'd always though that a 130i would be expensive to run, but they're not! I can average up to about 33mpg on the commute, plus the tax is £265 for the year too.
Oh and the engine....what a beaut. Probably the finest (and most probably the last) 3.0 na that BMW have ever built.
Try one dude, you might be surprised.
I have the n47 engine in mine, no probs as yet. *touch wood*
To be fair my manager had a 118d that he ragged from cold daily for 4yrs and never skipped a beat. He was doing 20+k a year in it too.

My tax is only £96 /yr so if it breaks I'll offset the cost with that over the next 5yrs lol.
By daytona365
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:It is affected, allegedly. Still the same lump as the others.
You're right, it is. It's just not as common in '23' guise as it is in '18' and '20'.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]