The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By jymmm
Currently looking at 2006 120d with 98k for £4950

Looking into them for a friend. Any thing to look out for? Any notorious issues etc ?
By Fly100
No room for feet. Pedals too close together!
By cosmic_dave
Fly100 wrote:No room for feet. Pedals too close together!
Pedals were fine for me (size12)!!!

Main things are clutch judder on the older models and the timing belt.

Apart from that good solid car
By Fly100
cosmic_dave wrote:

Size 14! hence foot space issues.
By matts1
Check the oil breather (crank case breather) is the revised design, the earlier version was like a mesh cylinder that gets clogged due to it not being obvious and access taking a little more work, result is a turbo staved of oil!! iirc it is about £65 from bmw for the revised version and is a MUST!

Timing chain is also a concern but some years are less affected so maybe google for more info, check youtube for what to look for. Also iirc the dtc can fail, again, give it a google.

I owned an '08' 123d and a friend had a '04' 118d and to be honest, I found them to be a bit of a niggly car, sensors going or things either failing, playing up or being a pain to change and I am not talking old lemons but decent motors.

I went from an A3 to the BMW and now onto a scirocco and have to say, the A3 and the scirocco are just nicer to own. I would certainly look at what else floats your boat before opting for the bmw.
By Harv
Got a 135i, had it from new since 2012. not single problem so far. although had the engine warning light come on today, I was driving like a loon at bedford GT though.

Read up on here for more 1 series info. http://www.babybmw.net/index.php
By ben-111
Matts1, this oil breather, was this mandatory introduced in the later models 2010/2011
By cosmic_dave
Fly100 wrote:
cosmic_dave wrote:

Size 14! hence foot space issues.
I bet you cannot fall over. How tall are you?

As regards to the audi A3 Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn what an absolute boring car to drive.
By matts1
ben-111 wrote:Matts1, this oil breather, was this mandatory introduced in the later models 2010/2011
the revised design came in earlier than that, poss 2006 onwards but always best to check it. It sits at the top of the engine roughly above the turbo, you have to remove a few bits to get to it but nothing difficult. I would say it does however get overlooked by people doing services and the old design meant it just clogged, starved the turbo of oil and the bearings would go.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]