The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By EvoStu
banksy101 wrote:I'll have a test drive of something, don't know what though
M135i is a good starting point.
By banksy101
EvoStu wrote:

The 135 is out my price range though, I'm under the impression after a few comments here that there good and bad paddle shift technology's, I wouldn't want to jump in a car which has an excellent system only to find what I find in my price range is less so if that makes sense
By EvoStu
banksy101 wrote:
EvoStu wrote:

The 135 is out my price range though, I'm under the impression after a few comments here that there good and bad paddle shift technology's, I wouldn't want to jump in a car which has an excellent system only to find what I find in my price range is less so if that makes sense
The problem lies in the fact that the transmission has to match the drive train. Its why I didn't mind losing the paddles from my F10 when I changed cars. The transmission is brilliant but with a diesel engine not really required.

I can't think of many cars below the M135i price range where the engine and transmission in a auto with paddles works. Try an S3 that's quite handy and in many ways so is the Golf GTI MK6 & MK7.
By integraleo
It's not just about ultimate gear change performance. I actually like manually changing gear even if it is slower. I have a worry when on a hard drive I would lose track of which paddle changed up and down or not quite be able to find it.
Might not be the case but for me a manual is still good
By dave_g
DSG works very well in the Mk5 Gti, especially the Edition 30. They are good cars also, and you'd get a nice example in budget. Ultimately I preferred the manual for slightly more involvement but it was a close call. Definitely give one a go. Can't think of any other flappy paddle car in your budget I'd want. M135i would be cool though.
By Lewisgame
Mk5 GTI has a faster 0-60 time with a DSG over the manual. It might only be small like 0.2 seconds or something but it proves to be better.
Something to take into account. There's more maintenance costs, DSG require oil and oil filter changes every 40k and it's not cheap!
By JackEP3Premier
Nothing will beat the satisfaction of heel toe downshifts [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By EvoStu
JackEP3Premier wrote:Nothing will beat the satisfaction of heel toe downshifts [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Comes in proper handy on the M6 that.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]