The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By jonnyb86
Considering selling my fn2 and going to a comfy car again my thoughts are either a bmw e90 330d auto or an e60 530d auto or 535d. Has anyone went from a type R to either of these and if so how did you find them to live with?
By NHB_EP3_Chris
I went from an ep3 to a BMW 320d e92 and there really is no comparison in regards to creature comforts. Im sure an FN2 is more civilised so maybe not such a big difference. In terms of day to day living with it, its a really nice car as the interior is brilliant, although getting my 4yr old in and out the back can be an arse so maybe something to think about if you have kids. The boot is huge though so that helps. Driving wise the handling is superb and feels very planted on the road, dare I say it handles better than my civic ever did especially fast sweeping corners. My one and only gripe however is the engine. Mine has a bmwpower kit fitted which moves the power up the rev range and increases max torque, so it does feel more petrol-like to drive than most oil burners, and still does 50mpg but if Im honest its just really dull. My dad has the 330d saloon and the engine sounds much nicer being the 6cylinder but then it only averages 30mpg. From what Ive come to realise they are all compromised in one way or another, it just depends which compromise it best for you.

Im currently considering swapping mine for either a 330i e92 or possibly a nice low milage Golf GTI ED30. Im not convinced that a diesel is proving any cheaper for me for travelling to work in as it still costs me the same as my civic did. Yes people bang on about mpg figures but if the fuel costs more in the first place you have to do quite a few more miles to the gallon just to make up the difference.
By adamsmith
No comparison really.

We have an E93 320d. The E90 will obviously feel less frantic and smoother on the road. I disagree with the handling, its like a small boat.

The diesel engines are very good. I would defo go for the 320d rather than the 330d.Go for the 177 or 184hp models. Less gutsy, no much power difference( even more with a remap) and will be much easier to find with a good spec and to sell on.

Make sure its an M sport too!

We had an Fn2 last year, myself and the mrs think it was a much nicer car too drive on a regular basis.

Practicality I would say the Fn2. Much better use of boot space, the e90 will have a larger boot but wont be very high.
More legroom in the back on an Fn2. Only bonus on the e90 is the extra doors.

I wouldn't bother with the awful sludge box either.
By Col R
Case closed

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]