The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By ::Adds::
so im now in a position where I can either Rotrex, clutch and diff my ep3.... Or get another car...

I have been contemplating a change for some time and went for a blast in my friends mk5 GTI which only has a 3" turbo back and good map(270bhp 320 torque) .... I was pretty impressed with it and it got me thinking.. and wonder if I should take the dive and go for something else....

Opinions pleases.. :salut:
By J@mes
I'd be tempted to stick with what you know and Rotrex yours. Yours is lighter and probably stiffer than a gti could ever be.
J@mes wrote:I'd be tempted to stick with what you know and Rotrex yours. Yours is lighter and probably stiffer than a gti could ever be.
That does have a factor in it.. I know F all about golf's..

I just feel like I wouldn't mind a change, and something with a measure of refinement rather than totally stripped bucket seats and harnesses loud as hell civic...

We did go for a b road test and again i was surprised he wasn't left for dust...

Mine Rotrex'd would be an animal but im not sure wether i want to spend thousands more doing that and diff etc.. :scratch:
Well today I decided I had to test drive one... I booked in and drove a mk6 (they had no mk5)

It was a beautiful car to drive, the steering was nicely weighted and you had a decent feel what the tires were doing, lovely interior... The best thing about it for me was the DSG with flappy paddles on it, changes were quick and very smooth... One thing I wasn't keen on was that the paddles turn with the wheel..

Really enjoyed it overall, the thing it was lacking in was obviously power... I'm going to test my friends stage 2 mk5 and that should help me decide if its the car for me or not...

Any info or thoughts from people who changed over to the Nazi side?
By civictyper45
::Adds:: wrote:Well today I decided I had to test drive one... I booked in and drove a mk6 (they had no mk5)

It was a beautiful car to drive, the steering was nicely weighted and you had a decent feel what the tires were doing, lovely interior... The best thing about it for me was the DSG with flappy paddles on it, changes were quick and very smooth... One thing I wasn't keen on was that the paddles turn with the wheel..

Really enjoyed it overall, the thing it was lacking in was obviously power... I'm going to test my friends stage 2 mk5 and that should help me decide if its the car for me or not...

think its more of a change you want and couldnt have thought of a better car to be honest the build quality is miles better then the civic and theres tons of tuning options :bigthumb:
By Daz W
I had a go in a 2.0 TSi Scirocco recently (similar car) and was very impressed, I'd steer well clear of the chocolate DSG box though
By EvoStu
Daz W wrote:I had a go in a 2.0 TSi Scirocco recently (similar car) and was very impressed, I'd steer well clear of the chocolate DSG box though
As long as its not heavily modded there's nothing wrong with the DSG box. :bigthumb:

As much as it pains me to say it, the Golf is a very good all round car. Not much to touch it for the money.
By Daz W
It was the money that put me off the Scirocco, people ask stupid money for them. The one I drove was on 08 plate with 50k miles and they wanted £13000 for it. An equivalent FN2 goes for between £7-8k
By Omni
My mate has a Golf R and its epic, only thing you could really fault it for is the interior is a bit shabby for a £35k car (by the time he'd specced a couple of options)

I would go for the DSG every time
civictyper45 wrote:
::Adds:: wrote:Well today I decided I had to test drive one... I booked in and drove a mk6 (they had no mk5)

think its more of a change you want and couldnt have thought of a better car to be honest the build quality is miles better then the civic and theres tons of tuning options :bigthumb:
It really is a far nicer car, and as you say there is a lot that can be done with them...

So I had a go of my friends one which is only 270 bhp and around 320 torque iirc...

Really enjoyed the drive... The power delivery was so smooth and felt very nice with the DSG... Even more tempted now
EvoStu wrote:
Daz W wrote:I had a go in a 2.0 TSi Scirocco recently (similar car) and was very impressed, I'd steer well clear of the chocolate DSG box though
As long as its not heavily modded there's nothing wrong with the DSG box. :bigthumb:

As much as it pains me to say it, the Golf is a very good all round car. Not much to touch it for the money.
From what I have read and heard from some golf enthusiasts the DSG is good for upto 400 ponies... Which is more than enough grunt in a fwd car... Id probably set my goals a tad lower than that lol.

I considered mps, but something doesn't quite feel right about them...
Omni wrote:My mate has a Golf R and its epic, only thing you could really fault it for is the interior is a bit shabby for a £35k car (by the time he'd specced a couple of options)

I would go for the DSG every time
Ive not checked out the R's... How does it compare to the mk6 gti interior? I thought it was like a spacecraft.... But then I have been driving a stripped civic for a few years :lol:

DSG is epic... I'd get one with the flappy paddles also
By gilberto
Golf GTI is dead easy to tune if you're going down that route. I've just put a Revo Stage 2+ map on my S3 and it's pushing out 360 bhp. The golf's got similar tuning capability being VAG.

You'll have a really capable car with turbo back exhaust, induction kit and remap.
gilberto wrote:Golf GTI is dead easy to tune if you're going down that route. I've just put a Revo Stage 2+ map on my S3 and it's pushing out 360 bhp. The golf's got similar tuning capability being VAG.

You'll have a really capable car with turbo back exhaust, induction kit and remap.
Nice!

That's exactly it, for not much monies the car turns into a bit of a beast :twisted:
By gilberto
Yeah it's good gains for a couple of £k, you could probably pick the modifications up second hand too.
By gilberto
Thats less than i thought, there was a lad on here running silly power with a GTI, it was maybe an Edition 30.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]