The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By Josh1921
adamsmith wrote:
Josh1921 wrote:
TimEP3 wrote: E46 is dated
So is your mum.
Oh wow.

Strong comeback

Mind is blown

Wouldreadagain/10

Not srs

Plz go

Mum jokes not even once

Brb intelligence level low
By Lewisgame
I agree the E46 shape is looking dated. Although the M3 E46 still looks good.
I know a few people with these cars and the issues they've had. Rear floor on one and SMG box on another, which after spending £2k on still isn't fixed. Plus the SMG box is useless for normal driving.
They're cheap to buy, but still have running costs of a £40k car and it's not exactly a car you can go cheap on parts with.
I'd love one for a track car.
By pulpmelon_r
Intake, header and exhaust with software seems to get another 35bhp out of them.

Could be a trackday legend once stripped out.
By Jules
smartie wrote:It will go past dated into classic soon enough. :cooldude:
Already did that, which is why the standard model never will.

By donald
If it helps, i am lucky enough to have an EP3 and M3.

Got 02 EP3 from new and done approx 90k miles in it. Its pretty comprehensively modded as you can see from the pics

I got the M3 on 1st Dec 2013 and in the first 12 months clocked up over 25k miles split between motorway and around town.

My mpg averaged 28.6mpg

The total bills over the year, which included, services, new front disks, pads all around, replacing corroded brake lines, new starter motor,new tyres all round,along with fixing a number of things like aircon,lights & tracking came to £2,800.

I stopped driving my EP3 as enjoyed driving the M3 so much. They are too completely different drives. Going from the M3 to EP3 U definitely notice the weight difference! Performance wise (as mine is stripped out, with all the mods). there is very little in it.

I can drive my ep3 at 9/10th all the time, whereas with the M3 u never drive at more than 6/10 as you are always aware of that 340 bhp engine and rear drive.

Love both cars

By paulydixon
I like that Donald!

I feel in a similar position, I've got about 7k to spend and I'm doing about 40 miles per day.

I think my old age/maturity is kicking in though and making me think a nice 2007 320d m sport is the car for me. I'll just stick the Civic in the garage for a while
By SAW
Good write up Donald.

Would you say the EP3 'feels' like you are going quicker because of the car being stripped out? I get the same feeling in my track 172 which has no interior, but in a race the M3 spanks it.

Probably find that the 6/10 effort from the M3 gets you the same performance as ringing the civic 9/10 effort. The acceleration of the M3 in 3rd and 4th gear is savage for a standard car.

Also very nice front bumper on the M3. Where did you get it from?
By donald
My EP3 admittedly has about 240bhp, plus i have quaiffe diff and 5.46 final drive fitted, so it is plenty quick! The gear change in the EP3 is lightening quick compared to the M3, which can be difficult to swap cogs quickly!

The M3 isnt particularly fast untill you are doing 3000rpm plus .Below that its quite gutless. It could really do with a lower final drive.

The bumper was on the car when i bought it and i think its a replica CSL bumper

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]