The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By Josh1921
Thread is making me want an m3 :lol:
By cammy92
Josh1921 wrote:Thread is making me want an m3 :lol:
Me too :laughabove:
By keithlou
It's a natural 'upgrade' from an ep3 to an e46 m3 to be quite honest

you will find the bmw a lot more refine thou and less exciting to begin with but you'll soon love it

however from time to time i jump back to an ep3 and had a go, it felt very special and exciting but once you get used to the bmw level of comfort you can't really go back lol, unless it's a track car ep3 then it's difference as it won't matter :rotflmao:
By burton
I'm keen on a 1M in white.
By bornlucky1
yella wrote:
bornlucky1 wrote:
As for a 130i...well if you cant afford to run an M3 then yeah..theyre alright, i suppose..Bit like an ep2 to an ep3...

[smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
yeah exactly the same. :roflmao:
It is, people who liked type r's but don't have the funds or income to maintain an ep3 buy the sport, it's the same as I would rather have an e92 m3, but settled for an e46 as it was what I could afford comfortably.

Nothing wrong with not being able to afford something. But don't kid yourself that there's not much difference. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By bornlucky1
Seen as there's so many m3 owners on here I've got three sets of oem 19s if anyone wants a set cheap :lol:
By yella
bornlucky1 wrote:
yella wrote:
bornlucky1 wrote:
As for a 130i...well if you cant afford to run an M3 then yeah..theyre alright, i suppose..Bit like an ep2 to an ep3...

[smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
yeah exactly the same. :roflmao:
It is, people who liked type r's but don't have the funds or income to maintain an ep3 buy the sport, it's the same as I would rather have an e92 m3, but settled for an e46 as it was what I could afford comfortably.

Nothing wrong with not being able to afford something. But don't kid yourself that there's not much difference. [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
I could have bought an E46 for less than i paid for the 1 series but its the reliability and future running costs that put me off, not basic maintenance. Trust me, pop a diff and stick the KW's on the 1er and you are going to be very close. i've got the E90 M3 front suspension and camber modification then all mods including diff and suspension are being chosen so they go straight on the 135i next year. Ask the question on cutters, but this is why so many e46 m3 owners sell up and get the 130i, it costs stuff all to run. Oh and this bit you might not beleive as i doubt you;ve driven the 130i, it actually has a lot beeter throttle response than the M3, how i don't know but a few M3 owners who have driven mine have said the same thing.
By SeanEP3
bornlucky1 wrote:I've got one too, doesn't feel as raw as the ep3 on the road as its a lot more composed, but on a track its awesome!

i wanted a manual at first but after viewing a few described as mint and getting messed around with another i ended up buying an smg on the basis that it was a clean car and if i didnt like it i could sell it. I've really started to like it now.

Mines had most of the common stuff done already, new alternator, both wishbones and brand new discs and pads all round at bmw just a month before i bought it and apart from me fitting poly bush rear control arm bushes and descent track pads thats been it maintenance wise.

I've just had eibachs springs put on, with the poly bushes and i have just taken delivery of two of H&R's finest anti-roll bars and it handles great with a descent set up.

Oh yeah, pic moment..

Just buy the best you can afford - and try and get a facelift as they have less issues with big-ends and subframes cracking.
You'll love it [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
missed that somehow first time around. absolutely love it!
By bornlucky1
yella wrote:
I could have bought an E46 for less than i paid for the 1 series but its the reliability and future running costs that put me off, not basic maintenance. Trust me, pop a diff and stick the KW's on the 1er and you are going to be very close. i've got the E90 M3 front suspension and camber modification then all mods including diff and suspension are being chosen so they go straight on the 135i next year. Ask the question on cutters, but this is why so many e46 m3 owners sell up and get the 130i, it costs stuff allo to run. Oh and this bit you might not beleive as i doubt you;ve driven the 130i, it actually has a lot beeter throttle response than the M3, how i don't know but a few M3 owners who have driven mine have said the same thing.
So, buy a 130, which is more expensive, spend a shed load on it to make it almost as good, but still not quite as good, then come on here and recommend others to do the same? Why not just save a wedge and buy the car developed to go fast in the first place?

I'm on cutters too btw, there may have been a few who bought 130s but they're hardly flocking over to them like you make out.
You're mental mate.
By cammy92
Mark83 wrote:
Thats brilliant :laughabove:
By Shappers
The E46 BMW is looking properly dated now, the interior especially so. That's not surprising since it was designed in the mid 90's though.

Of course no current E46 owner will admit to that... especially as this is a car forum and no doubt it's their 'pride and joy'.

My money would always be on the 130i, as that engine is an absolute peach. In most peoples hands, and on most roads I think you're going to struggle to notice much of a difference between them. On a track it may be a entirely different proposition...
By SeanEP3
this is all excellent stuff.
Love the vid!

thanks

Sean
By Sacrificial Pawn
You need to buy a 330d and remap it for the torx.

No M3 will come close. :salut:
By bornlucky1
Sacrificial Pawn wrote:You need to buy a 330d and remap it for the torx.

No M3 will come close. :salut:
Assuming you are talking in-gear then you are right, they are pretty epic :cool:
Never really had a problem shifting down myself though, and the weight of that engine is apparent when taking some tight b-roads. I loved mine but it was always a compromise. i actually preferred the 320d i had afterwards as it was noticably more nimble and not slow either.

I can only compare with the E46's though, but then if you are talking e9x then you're comparing to the v8 m3 which is a different ballgame again. Try one and come back telling me you'd actually still choose the derv if fuel wasn't an issue :smile:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]