The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

We all move on at some point, get some help from our members on what to buy next. Usually a monster V8 or second hand Lambo will suffice but usually the three letters M P S will be muttered......standard!
By JDMy0
I am looking for a car with very similar performance to a EP3:

0-60 in 6.6 (ish) seconds
30 MPG Combined

What alternatives can you get that are like this? RWD or FWD even a saloon / coupe doesn't matter...
more MPG and a slightly slower performance I would consider... seeing as petrol is supposed to be going up another 5p tomorrow! :shocked!:
By karl
that^ or a horse
By smartie
Will shorten the thread for you. :salut:

MPS
320D
330blah
S3
R32
GTi
Evo
STi/WRX
Focus ST

What have I missed? :-D
By sn:afu
smartie wrote:Will shorten the thread for you. :salut:

MPS
320D
330blah
S3
R32
GTi
Evo
STi/WRX
Focus ST

FN2?
By Ali
Karl's diesel, when he stops lying about the figures....
By I need VTEC
JDMy0 wrote:I am looking for a car with very similar performance to a EP3:

0-60 in 6.6 (ish) seconds
30 MPG Combined

What alternatives can you get that are like this? RWD or FWD even a saloon / coupe doesn't matter...
more MPG and a slightly slower performance I would consider... seeing as petrol is supposed to be going up another 5p tomorrow! :shocked!:
Budget? Clio 200, MX5 BBR turbo, Celica GTfour, Ferrari 458 Italia, Audi Quattro, Lancia Delta Integrale, Nissan Pulsar GTiR, BMW E46 330i, and of course the Fiesta ST Mountune 185. Can't forget that.
By karl
Ali wrote:Karl's diesel, when he stops lying about the figures....
truth must hurt bad if you gotta tell yourself it's lies to stop teh pain (doesn't stop it being true though) Image
By Ali
So it doesn't do 0-60 in over 6 seconds?
By karl
about 6.6 or so, yeah
By JDMy0
Thanks for all your suggestions! I am seriously digging deep into this thought in case I have missed out on something...

Budget wise I am looking to spend around £4,000 - £5,000 really, unless its something special... Preferably on a car no older than 10 years.

Skoda Fabia VRS - Only comes in an ugly 5 door, 0-60 takes 9.5secs :scratch: I would like something either quicker (/something I would be more proud to drive!)

Ford Fiesta Mountune - Had a quick look and they are start from around £10,000 so out of my budget and no way would I spend £10,000 on a fiesta!! Autotrader only seems to list stats for the standard 1.6 Zetec of 120bhp 0-60 of 9.9secs and 48.7mpg combined which is slow but good mpg - obviously the Moutune is 150bhp...

Focus ST Does roughly the same 31MPG combined as an EP3 but is slower with 0-60 of 8.2 secs :roll:

STi/WRX These are too expensive starting at £8,000 - no info about them on Autotrader - and even looking at the GX 2.0 Turbos they are slow with only 125bhp!!

Evo VIII 0-60 in 6.1secs but 25.9 mpg combined going down to 18.3mpg urban - really dont want to be back in the mpg teens as I always was with my RX7 twin turbo! :bigcry:

VW Golf R32 Poor 24mpg combined but same 0-60 as EP3 and more expensive for no reason that I can see...

BMW 320D Big car and 0-60 8.9secs make it not very intersting but 49.6mpg combined which is good

What is an MPS ?

The best contenders for alternatives to a Civic Type-R?

S2000 - recently test driven and was seriously contemplating one of these as they are so nice to drive, they get slightly less MPG and are around 30% more to insure than an EP3 with very limited practicality.

Golf GTi - the 2002 1.8 T GTi with 0-60 in 8.5secs and 35.3mpg (combined) - nice looking car - ugly interior compared to an EP3 though!

Ford Fiesta ST - 0-60 of 7.9secs and 38.2mpg combined seem the next best thing to an EP3? Decent looking little car really even though it is a Ford...

Audi S3 Didn't know much about these until now so thanks for pointing this one out! Good looking 4WD car with 0-60 6.8secs simlar to an EP3 and pretty much the same 30MPG combined. Choice here is do I like Audi or Honda, do I want the sound of VTEC?... :roll: and does 20 valves mean more expensive servicing / maintenance?

BMW 330 Cd 0-60 in 7.2secs 42.8mpg combined - thats a good combo!? Good looking car too... will sound like a tractor though.

BMW 330 Ci 0-60 6.5 secs with 31mpg combined - pretty much as if the EP3 was a BMW... :thumbup:

Clio 182 Cup - slightly slower 7.1secs and slightly better 34.9mpg it is a compromise but not sure if its one that I want to make... the newer 197 is about the same too. But the 3.0 V6 just isn't worth it compared to an EP3...

For comparison here are the specs on Autotrader for an EP3:

Fuel consumption (urban) 23 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 40.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 31.7 mpg
0 - 62 mph 6.6 seconds
Top speed 146 mph
Cylinders 4
Valves 16 v
Engine power 200 bhp
Engine torque 145 lbs/ft
By eatthis
smartie wrote:Will shorten the thread for you. :salut:

MPS
320D
330blah
S3
R32
GTi
Evo
STi/WRX
Focus ST

dude you forgot the fmtx
By Ali
JDMy0 wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions! I am seriously digging deep into this thought in case I have missed out on something...

Budget wise I am looking to spend around £4,000 - £5,000 really, unless its something special... Preferably on a car no older than 10 years.

Skoda Fabia VRS - Only comes in an ugly 5 door, 0-60 takes 9.5secs :scratch: I would like something either quicker (/something I would be more proud to drive!)

Ford Fiesta Mountune - Had a quick look and they are start from around £10,000 so out of my budget and no way would I spend £10,000 on a fiesta!! Autotrader only seems to list stats for the standard 1.6 Zetec of 120bhp 0-60 of 9.9secs and 48.7mpg combined which is slow but good mpg - obviously the Moutune is 150bhp...

Focus ST Does roughly the same 31MPG combined as an EP3 but is slower with 0-60 of 8.2 secs :roll: It's not slower unless you were looking at the old ST170's figures. The ST 225 is the one to look at. It's a bit softer but makes a much nicer noise than an EP3.

STi/WRX These are too expensive starting at £8,000 - no info about them on Autotrader - and even looking at the GX 2.0 Turbos they are slow with only 125bhp!! The GX isn't a turbo, it's NA. WRXs can be had for £5k but will be older. After my experience of a new STI, I wouldn't want one without a warranty. Chocolate pistons are rife amongst them.

Evo VIII 0-60 in 6.1secs but 25.9 mpg combined going down to 18.3mpg urban - really dont want to be back in the mpg teens as I always was with my RX7 twin turbo! :bigcry: That figure must be for the old Evo VIII 260. Worth avoiding. If you look at Evo VIIIs, it has to be an MR.

VW Golf R32 Poor 24mpg combined but same 0-60 as EP3 and more expensive for no reason that I can see...

BMW 320D Big car and 0-60 8.9secs make it not very intersting but 49.6mpg combined which is good

What is an MPS ? A sexually transmitted disease. Like crabs, but far more irritating.

The best contenders for alternatives to a Civic Type-R?

S2000 - recently test driven and was seriously contemplating one of these as they are so nice to drive, they get slightly less MPG and are around 30% more to insure than an EP3 with very limited practicality. If you can handle the practicality, buy one, in Moonrock Grey. They're superb. But be VERY careful in the wet.

Golf GTi - the 2002 1.8 T GTi with 0-60 in 8.5secs and 35.3mpg (combined) - nice looking car - ugly interior compared to an EP3 though! Wouldn't touch with a very long barge pole. Thoroughly rubbish GTi unless you can get one of the 180bhp Anniversaries. The 1.8 20V had all manner of electrical problems, mainly the coilpacks, IIRC.

Ford Fiesta ST - 0-60 of 7.9secs and 38.2mpg combined seem the next best thing to an EP3? Decent looking little car really even though it is a Ford...

Audi S3 Didn't know much about these until now so thanks for pointing this one out! Good looking 4WD car with 0-60 6.8secs simlar to an EP3 and pretty much the same 30MPG combined. Choice here is do I like Audi or Honda, do I want the sound of VTEC?... :roll: and does 20 valves mean more expensive servicing / maintenance? Same engine issues as the Golf Mk4. And Jules will try to have sex with you if you buy one. You do NOT want this.

BMW 330 Cd 0-60 in 7.2secs 42.8mpg combined - thats a good combo!? Good looking car too... will sound like a tractor though. And Karl will try to bum rape you if you buy this. Jules enjoyed it but most recoil in horror at the thought.

BMW 330 Ci 0-60 6.5 secs with 31mpg combined - pretty much as if the EP3 was a BMW... :thumbup: Similar performance, very different drive. Soft and middle aged. And RWD doesn't seem to make these fun. They like understeer and need serious provocation to slide properly. Bit dull, really.

Clio 182 Cup - slightly slower 7.1secs and slightly better 34.9mpg it is a compromise but not sure if its one that I want to make... the newer 197 is about the same too. But the 3.0 V6 just isn't worth it compared to an EP3... Great little cars but the age you want could mean big bills. Renault gearboxes are made of Kinder chocolate and they eat suspension bushes for breakfast.

For comparison here are the specs on Autotrader for an EP3:

Fuel consumption (urban) 23 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 40.4 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 31.7 mpg
0 - 62 mph 6.6 seconds
Top speed 146 mph
Cylinders 4
Valves 16 v
Engine power 200 bhp
Engine torque 145 lbs/ft
By I need VTEC
JDMy0 wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions! I am seriously digging deep into this thought in case I have missed out on something...

Do you currently own an EP3?

If you're looking at getting a car that's no more than ten years old, why not just tune the EP3 to get more power out of it? Not many of the cars on your list will offer the sort of reliability peace of mind an EP3 will offer you.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]