The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
I've had my ep3, stock bar a tegiwa filter for 3 years in April. I wanted to change 6 months ago, but my budget of 8K didn't seem to go far. Budget is higher now. So I was just looking at a 2007 Audi S3 on pistonheads, and wondering about the german hatches like Golf R32.

How do these compare in driving experience? I imagine outright performance is similiar to an EP3. I do want something slightly more refined, but I also want a better power spread, and crucially, to avoid the soft wallowy suspention setups I read about in these german cars.

Would these cars compare to the EP3 excitement, as well as offering the better drivibility I crave?

Was considering Evo/Scoob, but I dare not buy these private, and no dealer seems to sell them.
Why does it need to be German? The only 2 hot hatches I've driven that match/better the EP3 for excitment are the Clio 200 and Megane R26.

R32 sounds fantastic but it felt heavy compared to Gti. I'd go 130i or Golf Gti if it has to be German.
dave_g wrote:Why does it need to be German? The only 2 hot hatches I've driven that match/better the EP3 for excitment are the Clio 200 and Megane R26.

R32 sounds fantastic but it felt heavy compared to Gti. I'd go 130i or Golf Gti if it has to be German.
Depends what the OP wants, avoiding wallowy susp. is one thing, gti couldn't be described as this, however is somewhat sterile and yes whilst being a brilliant car, depends what you're looking for.

As dave says, want a fast capable hot hatch then yes renault (and quietly MPS / focus st) but again the later two can be thirsty.

Have a go in them and see what you think! [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
Spiral45 wrote:Thanks, sort of what I expected really. By this logic then should the Megan's rs 250 be a decent step up overall? Or is the older r26 better?

Megane 250/265 is still the hot hatch king. Theres a fruitier version due end of the year which may take the new name of Cup+ like the forthcoming Cup+ Clio.

The old Megane was good but a boggo 250 is better out the box than an R26-R.
I love R32's especially with the DSG box. Drove the fiance's brothers which was lowered and had a full miltek fitted - lovely car to drive. That was back when I had my ST with 300+bhp. The 4wd was immense, I found that I was taking corners too soon in the R32 compared to the ST.

With that being said I want another ST!!!!
I've been in the same predicament for a while now. Each year my MOT is due I start thinking about swapping my EP3 for a newer car, but then spend a few hundred on it for various things, passes its MOT and I end up keeping it for another year. I've had mine 6yrs in September so am ready for a change, although I know deep down I'll miss the CTR once it's gone. It's not particularly quick compared to the newer gen hot hatches but it has a certain fun factor to it that I can't seem to explain. Plus it's been a pleasure to own in regards maintainance on the most part and I've covered over 50k in it. Most turbo equivalents would have given me grief by now I'd have thought, unless it was low mileage to begin with.

There are two things I need to consider though -
1. I have a golden lab so it needs a decent sized, preferably low-slung boot.
2. I have a 3yr old.

Most of the time it is just me in the car though when I'm bobbing to and from work, so a big heavy car would compromise the majority of my journeys. I have looked at estates and unless I'm willing to go for something very boring, the choice is limited. I think the handling would be a bit wallowy too in comparison to what I'm used to.
The reviews I read at work suggest the r26 F1 230 to be more exciting to drive than the 250. I think these two I should drive first off. I did consider a modified EP3 whoever suggested that, I even posted here for information, but the costs add up to being like £2k overall to get the car right. I did consider just popping up to TDI North and getting a Kpro and a map to keep me happy for a bit longer, as the very narrow power band is the thing really annoying me, and the dip in momentum before VTEC engages. I've seen this extended and smoothed on Dyno graphs I've seen. I suspect this would be then as much fun as an r26 also. Be nice to find a clean Scooby to drive as well, nice blob eye. I was considering looking at the newer shape STi, but some instability at work means I'd like to keep some spare budget. Ideally below £10k, but would spend 12 for a megane new shape I think.

The thing with the Megane RS 250 is though it lacks road presence, just looks like another new car on the road.
*nub* wrote:Spiral why not sell yours, buy a newer one with full mods and at least 240bhp. Maybe even supercharged ?
A 240bhp FN2 would be very nice actually. I just can never find one for sale. This has crossed my mind a few times actually. The performance of a turbo motor with the reliability and revs of the K20. Only major downside to that is road presence again, or a huge lack of!
Last edited by Spiral45 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickdj wrote:
*nub* wrote:lol check "this is what i've done to my CTR", nobody modifies FN2s... well there's some on civiinfo
I never noticed untill you've just said that. Why dont they ?
dunno. maybe partly due to the fact that more of them FN2 fags head over to civinfo, although personally I think FN2 attracts more mature drivers and doesnt have the same success in a way. don;t think even 1/10 build threads I see here are about FN2s... I really have no idea what kinda powerz FN2 gets with bolt ons, see EP3s with 240-250 every day. I would really like an FN2 but it would need to have the full works, mugen wing, splitter, bonnet etc, lowered, aftermarket alloys AND be running around 250bhp. but all that brings the price right up. what spec is your EP3 btw?

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]