The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
*nub* wrote:
mickdj wrote:
*nub* wrote:lol check "this is what i've done to my CTR", nobody modifies FN2s... well there's some on civiinfo
I never noticed untill you've just said that. Why dont they ?
dunno. maybe partly due to the fact that more of them FN2 fags head over to civinfo, although personally I think FN2 attracts more mature drivers and doesnt have the same success in a way. don;t think even 1/10 build threads I see here are about FN2s... I really have no idea what kinda powerz FN2 gets with bolt ons, see EP3s with 240-250 every day. I would really like an FN2 but it would need to have the full works, mugen wing, splitter, bonnet etc, lowered, aftermarket alloys AND be running around 250bhp. but all that brings the price right up. what spec is your EP3 btw?
If you mean Micks Ep3 then ignore this, but mine is stock bar Tegiwa M. Oh and some ds2500 pads and braided lines.
Spiral45 wrote:
*nub* wrote:
mickdj wrote:
*nub* wrote:lol check "this is what i've done to my CTR", nobody modifies FN2s... well there's some on civiinfo
dunno. maybe partly due to the fact that more of them FN2 fags head over to civinfo, although personally I think FN2 attracts more mature drivers and doesnt have the same success in a way. don;t think even 1/10 build threads I see here are about FN2s... I really have no idea what kinda powerz FN2 gets with bolt ons, see EP3s with 240-250 every day. I would really like an FN2 but it would need to have the full works, mugen wing, splitter, bonnet etc, lowered, aftermarket alloys AND be running around 250bhp. but all that brings the price right up. what spec is your EP3 btw?
If you mean Micks Ep3 then ignore this, but mine is stock bar Tegiwa M. Oh and some ds2500 pads and braided lines.
yeah I did actually mean you lol. My EP3 used to be the same, only Tegiwa and then later exhaust. I think you'll find if you jumped into a 240-250EP3, lowered with FRSU etc you would find it a much better and faster and completely different car to drive. Could also go for a premier edition too so you're buying a newer car (presuming yours isn't already a prem lol).
You could get all that for under 6k probs, or might a supercharged EP3 appeal to you for 7k or so? You might find you enjoy this more than spending 10k + on one of the others you mentioned, as there aren't many cars around that budget giving the same experience. I only say this because some people upgrade like this and end up returning to an EP3 because they miss the enjoyment factor. and a 240-250bhp EP3 is faster than a lot of the heavier and AWD cars in your budget, probably cheaper to run too.
*nub* wrote:
Spiral45 wrote:
*nub* wrote:
mickdj wrote:
yeah I did actually mean you lol. My EP3 used to be the same, only Tegiwa and then later exhaust. I think you'll find if you jumped into a 240-250EP3, lowered with FRSU etc you would find it a much better and faster and completely different car to drive. Could also go for a premier edition too so you're buying a newer car (presuming yours isn't already a prem lol).
You could get all that for under 6k probs, or might a supercharged EP3 appeal to you for 7k or so? You might find you enjoy this more than spending 10k + on one of the others you mentioned, as there aren't many cars around that budget giving the same experience. I only say this because some people upgrade like this and end up returning to an EP3 because they miss the enjoyment factor. and a 240-250bhp EP3 is faster than a lot of the heavier and AWD cars in your budget, probably cheaper to run too.
That is a good point about people returning to ep3's. My EP3 is on about 92,000 miles so i'd lose a lot buying another one probably. If I were to do that the best option might be to buy a twinloop catback and the inlet manifold, then get mapped with a K100. Surely that should see about 220-230? But again, considered this and usually end up deciding the exhausts on the K20 usually sound like fart cans sadly.
There are lots of modified FN2's out there but for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be many build threads on here. The best route for the FN2 is forced induction as the NA tuning options are limited in comparison to the EP3, the FN2 runs a higher compression K20 engine too (K20Z4) and generally doesn't respond as well to bolt ons like the EP3.

The FN2 is also heavier than the EP3 (150KG apparently) but the performance stats are similar because it runs a 5.10 Final drive stock compared to the EP3's 4.7FD. You don't tend to see many FN2's making 250bhp + NA, the ones that do have spent lots of money to achieve that so going boosted is more cost effective.

Plenty of boosted FN2's about on Civicinfo
I think it depends on what extras are on the car, the fully loaded FN2 GT's will be heavier than the base model

EP3's vary in weight from 1185kg to 1240kg that's due to the likes of Aircon, Recaro seats, satnav etc
Tuned Fn2's make about 10-15hp less than the same level of tune on an EP3

Mostly due to lack of room for optimal header design, funky exhaust routing under car and the massive oil pump with balance shafts on it.

The extra weight is offset to a degree by the shorter final drive. I put the FN2 final drive in an EP3 and loved it.
pulpmelon_r wrote:Tuned Fn2's make about 10-15hp less than the same level of tune on an EP3

Mostly due to lack of room for optimal header design, funky exhaust routing under car and the massive oil pump with balance shafts on it.

The extra weight is offset to a degree by the shorter final drive. I put the FN2 final drive in an EP3 and loved it.
what do you drive now btw? done anymore induction testing?
*nub* wrote:
pulpmelon_r wrote:Tuned Fn2's make about 10-15hp less than the same level of tune on an EP3

what do you drive now btw? done anymore induction testing?
My current daily driver:

107_0230 by pulpmelon, on Flickr

With an intake and removal of one of the two cat converters that car made +28hp (baseline 264hp, after 292hp), takes the piss how easy it is to make power on a turbo motor.
I know there seems to be some sort of running joke where everyone speaks about mps' on here, but jokes aside, what they like?

It does seem like awfully cheap way to get 250bhp. Especially when you can map for more. Handling? Reliability?
that's the facelift one? looks alright from the front I really hate the OEM wheels though. 292bhp must be pretty fast through just 2 wheels. dunno if it has the same character as an EP3 and just doesn't look mean enough specially with that big smily face splitter :-D
*nub* wrote:that's the facelift one? looks alright from the front I really hate the OEM wheels though. 292bhp must be pretty fast through just 2 wheels. dunno if it has the same character as an EP3 and just doesn't look mean enough specially with that big smily face splitter :-D
292hp was at stock boost, fuelling and timing. I have self tuned this one on Cobb AP with an extra 4 pounds of boost (extra 25%) since fitting the intake and decat. Not sure on the power level right now as I've not dyno'd yet.

I've my own custom boost by gear tables up to 4th gear so it can put down most of the power okay in the wet and all in the dry.

The big old happy face spreads joy on the roads, and makes people let you out of junctions :biggrin:
pulpmelon_r wrote:The MPS is a CTRO meme now, as such I dont want to trigger anything by thread jacking OP's questions on German hatches...
I am OP any way lol. I just like talking about cars being honest. So when people pop in and day 'use the search function' or that's off topic, or even 'didn't you ask this question last month?', I never get it. Interesting to speak about peoples cars etc I think.

In an ideal world, one without subframe cracking and £800 tyre sets, this is where my money would land very quickly.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/ ... iment=true
*nub* wrote:Why mugen twin loop in particular? I don't think they sound like fart cans providing they have a decent sized silencer and backbox. Might as well go all the way and get a header too and go for 250bhp.
I heard the twin loop is fairly quiet. Manifold means trouble MOT time. I might buy a quietish exhaust and get it k100 mapped. Will fitting an inlet manifold without the exhaust manifold be at all beneficial?
Mk2 Leon Cupra

Yes I know its Spanish but its built with all the good German parts which is why it's such a bargain. I've had one for just over 6 months now and its superb. So much faster than my old ep3 and handles better as well. Huge tuning potential, 300bhp from just a map. They can run upto 400+bhp on the standard turbo and internals. They are much better value than the other vag brands as well and come very well specced as standard. The pre facelift ones are even cheaper but the interior in them is pretty dated IMO. That why I went for the MUCH better looking facelift model. Mine is now running 370bhp with all the proper add on parts and the handling is spot on with the KW V3s.

long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]