The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
By mjhamilton
So after nearly 5 years of EP3 ownership I purchased something else on impulse - EP has now gone on to another member who looks like he is doing the right thing and not going to install 'fly eyes'

So to replace I got a 2005 Audi S4 Cabriolet in black metallic - fully loaded and the 4.2lt V8 40v is just effortless when combined with the 6 speed manual and Quattro system - she was a bit of a barn find and was in need of some cosmetic TLC in terms of cleaning and tidying up but has a bomb proof stack of Audi receipts for the service history (clutch last year was £2k+ from Audi fitted)

Had for nearly a month now and am enjoying every minute so far - 350bhp and 304lb/ft torque is effortless and fun when you need it

So far I have done the following to bring up to scratch
- Recoded RNS-E to be correct for car and most importantly show S4 splash screen
- Polished antiglare coating off RNS-E screen as someone previously had attacked it with a strong cleaner and partially removed it
- Removed seats and interior to deep clean carpets
- Used steam cleaner to strip 8 years of weathering and bodily fluids from leather and then feed and revitalise (looks and feels amazing now)
- Fitted the OE brushed Aluminium wing mirror to replace the colour coded black ones
- Fixed the boot expander lever as the cable had popped out
- sanded and polished the drivers headlight as the UV coating had gone cloudy
- Removed all engine covers and plastics to degrease and clean plus stream cleaned engine bay and rads
- Reflashed the BT module to the latest version to enable advanced phone feature and services
- Fitted new Audi badges on RS center caps as one was missing
- cleaned, sterilised and added protectant to canvas roof (water beads off now like it is solid)

Things still to do
- Fit reverse parking sensors
- Clay and machine polish the body once the weather cools down
- Machine polish the aluminium trim as it has water marks on the surface
- Fit SS cat back
- Reflash to 400bhp

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=ea53332a ... 6FC%211858
By Mad-Dog
not really a fan of the cabby but it's starting to look good.You can see the time has been spent bringing it up to scratch. Audi V8 is a peach too. Nat's grandad had an RS4, sounded awesome.

What is the re-flash? is that basically similar to a re-map in that it unleashes more ponies?
By dandemoraliser
Mad-Dog wrote:not really a fan of the cabby but it's starting to look good.You can see the time has been spent bringing it up to scratch. Audi V8 is a peach too. Nat's grandad had an RS4, sounded awesome.

What is the re-flash? is that basically similar to a re-map in that it unleashes more ponies?
see hear one of the options for reflash!

1.50 in

By mjhamilton
My wife told me I had to buy a grown ups car so this was my best attempt at meeting this requirement

v8 is an engineering marvel although it can be expensive if something goes wrong (like anything) the way I look at it is that this cost less than 1 yr's depreciation on a BMW or new Audi, I get a good car allowance and drive 2500 miles a year - if it goes bang I sell it for parts and still only lose a few thousand so risk is pretty low IMHO (the thought of buying a £30k+ car and watching the money pour off it on the driveway is just too much for me to take and wouldn't make me happy at all - other more important things in my life to worry about)

Timing chains look like this and cost £2k+ from Audi to replace as they are at the back of the engine so it is an engine out job

As for the remap I found this funny :lol:

And yes a milltek exhaust is the only option :twisted:

And if you remove the rear bumper there are 4 markings to drill the holes for 'proper' rear parking sensors and have these at the ready (rear visibility with the roof up is not ideal) :bigthumb:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370777776779? ... 1439.l2649
By Mad-Dog
dandemoraliser wrote:
Mad-Dog wrote:not really a fan of the cabby but it's starting to look good.You can see the time has been spent bringing it up to scratch. Audi V8 is a peach too. Nat's grandad had an RS4, sounded awesome.

see hear one of the options for reflash!

1.50 in

thats the latest 3l v6 supercharged version, mj has the older B6 4.2 v8. I'm not sure the re-flash has the same effect
By mjhamilton
Nope.. that's a B7 S4.. same engine.. just facelift version of my car :bigthumb:

The RS4 is the supercharged one

They made very few RS4's in the B6/7 phase which also had a slightly tweaked v8 but was FSI with 32v and not 40v - it was not as reliable and even more complex than the S4 version so it was soon canned
By mjhamilton
As for being a cabriolet.. well of course the chassis is not as rigid as it could be and you do feel it.. but I wanted something the family could also enjoy and the wife would drive (she never liked the EP) so it is a win on both parts here... also being VAG paint I can go crazy myself to correct the paint without too much fear of melting it away :bigthumb:

Paint is it really good condition with only one stone chip on the bonnet (also mirrors but I replaced those) and a 1/2" scratch on the rear quarter - the surface feels rough to the touch and in some lights I can see some swirls from general washing - clay, chip repair, machine polish and then way will go a long way

One thing I do notice now if the amount of cabs around with their roofs up even on sunny days - I guess they are driven by vain people who don't want their hair messed up but then why buy one in the first place??... for us unless of course it is raining everyday is a roof down day :bigthumb:
By algreene
mjhamilton wrote:This = Milltek.. I have nothing else to say on the matter :lol:

Exactly!!

Check out some MTM Audi vids!! :shock:
By Mad-Dog
mjhamilton wrote:Nope.. that's a B7 S4.. same engine.. just facelift version of my car :bigthumb:

The RS4 is the supercharged one

They made very few RS4's in the B6/7 phase which also had a slightly tweaked v8 but was FSI with 32v and not 40v - it was not as reliable and even more complex than the S4 version so it was soon canned
No, it's a B8 S4 vs a B8 RS4

the new rs4 uses an upgraded variant of Audi's trusted 4.2 v8 firing out 450hp. The s4 uses a supercharged 3l v6 however the older s5 used the 344hp 4.2 v8 from the previous B7 s4. That whole video you posted is about Harris testing his revo mapped S4 against the new RS4 too see if he could 90% of the performance for very little money, which he did. They also never made a B6 rs4, just the previous B5 which was a twin turbo (bi-turbo) 2.7 v6. The B7 rs4 was the First of the new breed 4.2 v8 which was said to produce 420hp although quite a few never actually did.
By algreene
Hang on, I remember. The S4 had less than 1 inch leg room behind my drivers seat where as the Murano was 12 inches or more.
By Omni

Let me know if it needs replacing, i'll give it a bash :lol:

Thats an odd layout, timing chain at the back of the engine, is the gearbox in the back?
By mjhamilton
Omni wrote:Image

Let me know if it needs replacing, i'll give it a bash :lol:

Thats an odd layout, timing chain at the back of the engine, is the gearbox in the back?
something they had to do to couple the 4wd system up with the gearbox and still make it so there was room for people inside
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]