The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Got a question/comment about another marque? Ask in here.
By kaka12
Hi,

My friend is looking for one of the following 3 cars:

Clio dci 04 onwards
mini diesel
peugeot 307 estate (most likely the diesel one)

He is looking to spend roughly between £3-4k and 80k mile cars do not bother him.

Which one should I advise him to get?

Thanks
By cosmic craig
Clio will definitely....... Break
Mini will......... Break
Peugeot aren't good to work on but out of the three it's the best :scratch:
By algreene
Buy a 500 quid shitter. Drive til it dies. Repeat.
By mikeface
algreene wrote:Buy a 500 quid shitter. Drive til it dies. Repeat.
This.

I did this in the winter while my EP3 was garaged.

Bought a 1993 Civic EG 1.3. Was stripped out, only had dash and two front seats in it... but was great fun, didn't matter if I knocked it. Had done 130k but I gave it a service and it was fine!
Then sold that and had my aunties 1.9 DCi Meganne... French I know but being a diesel, the MPG was pretty good.

Wouldn't go with the Peugeot, had a friend at work recently that has a Suzuki Vitara but has a Peugeot engine in it. Started running like a dog.. turned out to be an injector problem but the injector was stuck in the block. There is a specific kit that is designed to remove injectors from Peugeot diesel engines... managed to find a company with the kit (That costs over £1000) and did it for him for around £250.

Just my pennies worth :)
By CrouchyM
Get a little 1.0 micra or something. Easy to work on and cheap as chips.
By kaka12
Thanks for all the advice, based on what I've heard none of them seem to be any good.
For £3-4 grand what is the best reliable diesel he can get?

Cheers
By Colinhamilton
Clio Dci all day long mine ran faultless to 170000 miles then died but done its job and great mpg. All I had wrong was a leaky sun roof. Fixed with silicone ha
By cosmic craig
Colinhamilton wrote:Clio Dci all day long mine ran faultless to 170000 miles then died but done its job and great mpg. All I had wrong was a leaky sun roof. Fixed with silicone ha
Renault with a leaky sunroof, wow that's rare!!
Think you must have had the only reliable one in the world ever made then, well done you [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Mr Anderson
Yaris diesel. Most reliable car in the world, £30 road tax a year, and 650 miles from £57 of fuel to fill the tank. Get the T Spirit spec and it comes with alloys, sunroof, foglights, aircon, and satnav. Available in 3 or 5 door. And good rust protection. And timing chain, no belt.
By Shappers
Mr Anderson wrote:Yaris diesel. Most reliable car in the world, £30 road tax a year, and 650 miles from £57 of fuel to fill the tank. Get the T Spirit spec and it comes with alloys, sunroof, foglights, aircon, and satnav. Available in 3 or 5 door. And good rust protection. And timing chain, no belt.
Or just get the T sport which goes better and is cheaper to buy in the first place (and looks better...)
By Stevo07
I bought a 1.4l '02 Civic two years ago this month as a run around. Had 95k on the clock and cost me £1250, now has 120k and has cost me barely anything in maintenance.
By Mr Anderson
Shappers wrote:
Mr Anderson wrote:Yaris diesel. Most reliable car in the world, £30 road tax a year, and 650 miles from £57 of fuel to fill the tank. Get the T Spirit spec and it comes with alloys, sunroof, foglights, aircon, and satnav. Available in 3 or 5 door. And good rust protection. And timing chain, no belt.
Or just get the T sport which goes better and is cheaper to buy in the first place (and looks better...)
True but more to tax and fuel

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]