The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By Mi_kie
JPS3290 wrote:Will there be any insurance issues with putting a V rated tyre on instead of a W rated one? :?

I know when it comes to old bangers insurance companies dont give a toss and just pay out, but when it comes to people with modified cars who take care of them they become right to$$ers from what ive seen. :roll:

Think i'll still be going on them depending on your review jbeverley.
Been talking to my insurance company about changing the tyres to a set of V rated tyres ( the Feds) and they said that the tyres had to be approved be Honda. Honda say the CTR requires a set of W rated tyres at the correct spec.

Be careful out there! :shock:
By dieselpower
Who's your insurer mate??

Andrew
By Mi_kie
dieselpower wrote:Who's your insurer mate??

Andrew
Direct Line
By Stu
How many millions of cars out there have different tyres on than when they came from the manufacturer? loads! And alot of people driving normal cars just go for the cheapest, crappest tyre they can....they dont even look at the 'speed ratings' which must be lower on at least some (100000's i'd guess)....does anyone else have this problem with insurance?
By EvoStu
Stu wrote:How many millions of cars out there have different tyres on than when they came from the manufacturer? loads! And alot of people driving normal cars just go for the cheapest, crappest tyre they can....they dont even look at the 'speed ratings' which must be lower on at least some (100000's i'd guess)....does anyone else have this problem with insurance?
Nope.

The only time you would have trouble is if you had a high speed (over the rating of the tyre) blow out.

And lets face it guys, the CTR tops out at 146mph. The Feds are rated to 149 so thats not going to happen now is it?

EvoStu.
By Mi_kie
Evostu wrote:
Stu wrote:How many millions of cars out there have different tyres on than when they came from the manufacturer? loads! And alot of people driving normal cars just go for the cheapest, crappest tyre they can....they dont even look at the 'speed ratings' which must be lower on at least some (100000's i'd guess)....does anyone else have this problem with insurance?
Nope.

The only time you would have trouble is if you had a high speed (over the rating of the tyre) blow out.

And lets face it guys, the CTR tops out at 146mph. The Feds are rated to 149 so thats not going to happen now is it?

EvoStu.
Who are you insured with?
By EvoStu
Mi_kie wrote:Who are you insured with?
Company Club scheme via Norwich Union Direct.

The situation should be the same with any insurer. As Stu stated it would have to be a high speed accident above the rating of the tyre to make them warrant an investigation into the tyre.

But if you're talking 149mph and you're in an accident the chances are you won't be making a claim as you'd be dead.

The W rated tyre covers you to 168mph but even then that doesn't stop these tyres blowing out. See where I'm coming from. :wink:

What would happen if you had Z rated tyres on and something happened? These are way above spec but not the same spec. It's swings and roundabouts. All tyres can fail it doesn't matter who they are made by.

EvoStu.
By Gasper
Ordered my CTR (Black) about 10 days ago for delivery Sept 1st. Can't wait! Have wanted one since they came out and finally bit the bullet.

Regarding the tyre issue, used to work for an insurance company years ago and of course if you ask them the question then they are obliged to say that as long as it's Honda approved it's okay. But I agree with you Stu, the reality is that unless the tyre is directly to blame for the accident then it really isn't going to be an issue.
By Durzel
Do Feds come in 225/35/R18 configuration? Looked on topgear.co.uk but its not listed (only 40s for R18)
By gftg
Durzel wrote:Do Feds come in 225/35/R18 configuration? Looked on topgear.co.uk but its not listed (only 40s for R18)
The Federals used to be available in 225\35x18 but the UK distributor stopped bringing them in cause there wasnt enough call for them

I asked about getting some in stock for somebody else but they have no plans to do them again in the near future

Gary
By Durzel
Damn.

I've got a set of 18x8 alloys en route (or will be once I've paid for them :)) so 225 is a must for me.

mytyres.co.uk appears to be the best value for money I've seen on these size tyres so far - do you have any TopGear recommendations/special offers? :)
By Big_Red
So where exactly do you get these Feds from then, beats me :roll: :roll: :roll:
By EvoStu
johnmglen wrote:So where exactly do you get these Feds from then, beats me :roll: :roll: :roll:
Ring Gary @ Top Gear Burnley, you can get them from him either at the unit or via mail order.

Gary:
Tel 01282 414413
E-mail: [email protected]

EvoStu.
By dieselpower
They'll fit no problem mate! :D It'll knock your speedo out slightly but it already errs on the side of caution ;)
By Type-R
Hehehe i dont think il get them then :? i can get some Toyo 950 R/F

205/45R17 for £122 ... is it good ?

:2gunfire: :usa
By gftg
Durzel wrote:Damn.

I've got a set of 18x8 alloys en route (or will be once I've paid for them :)) so 225 is a must for me.

mytyres.co.uk appears to be the best value for money I've seen on these size tyres so far - do you have any TopGear recommendations/special offers? :)
No special offers on this size tyre at the moment but check out the fokllowing post , i put some prices in there for somebody else

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/vie ... 8b401288c0

Gary
By TazR
gftg wrote:
Durzel wrote:Damn.

No special offers on this size tyre at the moment but check out the fokllowing post , i put some prices in there for somebody else

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/vie ... 8b401288c0

Gary
What price can you do Gary on 215/35/18 Feds??, i need 4.
By slammin sammy
I have got Continentals on my type r (it is an ATR so comments may be invalid) although I haven't had the car for very long so far I have found that these tyres don't inspire great confidence and I have had a couple of tank slappers, one fairley major. The tyres just do not get warm at all and the compound seems quite hard. Don't know if this helps CTR owners much but it may help someone. :?
By gftg
TazR wrote:
What price can you do Gary on 215/35/18 Feds??, i need 4.
215\35x18 Federal 70 each + vat

Gary

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]