The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By fras83
I know it's another tyre thread but been looking about for a couple of weeks for what tyres to put on my ep3. The car will be used on the road at weekends for some fun with some track days now and then. What I'm wondering is are the ad08r 's OK on the road in the wet/cold? Or would I be better with the Eagle f1s for colder, damper days? By the sounds of it the ad08r's would be the best for track. Got some time on track at end of march.
By AdamB92
Trouble is neither of them are good at both!

F1's are great on the road, but they overheat easily on track (not so bad on a wet track obviously).
AD08's you'll struggle to get heat in them for road use.
Maybe look at the RE050A's, Lewis does alright with those on track ;)

Is the car a daily? How many miles do you do?
If you don't do many miles then I'd go for AD08R's, their not terrible in the wet but obviously not as good as a predominant road tyre.
I have used AD08's on the track and road and they are a great tyre overall. Not to mention can be had for very reasonable money at the moment.

With the right geometry they perform really well on the track providing a good level of grip. They will obviously go off after a while but provide decent grip before they do.
By mc36155
im using the AD08r as a daily tyre (got a good price so why not), seem perfectly capable in current weather, although im down in south cornwall so likley not as cold
By w6ady
I have had both and found the goodyears were far too soft on the sidewalls had no feel at all. Decent grip wet and dry though but too floppy during hard cornering. Changed to the ad08r much better when cornering not used them in the wet but better grip in the dry than the goodyears.
By fras83
Well after a few months I have managed a couple of track days and loving it! First one I stuck with my road tyres which are toyo tr1's. Gripped well but to keep them as my road tyre they weren't going to last long! So for the next time I put a set of ad08r's on my spare set of wheels. These were amazing! So much grip! Question is should I really be running a baffled sump if I'm using these tyres on track?
By Norv
I'd say yes. I put a clockwise motion drop in baffle in mine, couldn't risk it for the relatively small job of dropping the sump. My first track day was also Abingdon which is mainly left handers!

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
By Lewisgame
Even with semi slick tyres you'd probably get away with a baffled sump. A lot will depend on driver skill as well on how much corner speed you take with better tyres.
On the other hand it's best to be safe than sorry. So it's well recommended to have a baffled sump if you're regularly on track no matter what tyres you have.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]