The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By wHAmEz
Ok I know the tyre testing for our civics is W. I'm curious as to what the difference would be if I put on a faster speed rating. The tyres on looking at are Y rating. Would they still hands and perform the same. Never really thought about this before. Can anyone shed some light on this?
By AdamB92
W is the minimum you should be putting on, anything higher is ok, it's just the speed rating. Although even with a W it's not very often you'll be hitting 168mph or more to need to go up to a Y :wink:
By wHAmEz
Lol yeah I've only suddenly thought about it. I can understand going for a lower rating can be dangerous obviously but not the other way. I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports but they only have the Y rating. Pretty expensive £493 fully fitted.
By wHAmEz
I imagine you be safe if you travel over 149 mph too often!
By AdamB92
I have heard some rumours that if you put on the wrong spec tyres, your insurance is void. Don't know how true that is, but I guess insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying up!
By wHAmEz
Yeah that would make sense [THUMBS UP SIGN]
By 15repyt
AdamB92 wrote:I have heard some rumours that if you put on the wrong spec tyres, your insurance is void. Don't know how true that is, but I guess insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying up!
That's if you down grade mate from say a w to v.
By AdamB92
15repyt wrote:
AdamB92 wrote:I have heard some rumours that if you put on the wrong spec tyres, your insurance is void. Don't know how true that is, but I guess insurance companies will do anything to get out of paying up!
That's if you down grade mate from say a w to v.
Yeah that's what I was meaning to say, lower speed rated tyres.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]