The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By w6ady
I have been offered some tyres at a good price. They are new but we're made in dec 2011. My question is will these still be ok? What sort of shelf life do semi slicks have? Been told they have been stored properly whatever that means :lol: any input would be good. Thanks guys :bigthumb:
By Lewisgame
Bit of a vague area tyre life regarding age. Just over 3 years old is fine but how long before they start to go hard and start cracking. It may happen sooner, although chances are you'll burn out them tyres before you reach that stage. Personally I wouldn't buy a tyre that's over 4-5 years old and many companies recommend changing tyres regardless of tread depth varying from 6-10 years old.
By w6ady
I have got quite a few spray bottles anyway so that wouldn't be a problem. I have ordered the tyres now so may purchase this if its as easy as spray on and leave to soak. Could I just ask how should I store the tyres? Until I purchase some wheels to put them on. Should they be stood up? Or laying on the sides stacked up? I would think standing up without wheels to keep there shape? Any ideas peeps?
Last edited by w6ady on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
By AdamB92
Tyres that aren't being used should be stored cool and away from direct sunlight so the UV rays don't effect the rubber compound :)
I would lay them on the tread rather than stack upon the sidewalls. This should be fine, if they had wheels with them it would still be okay to stack on the tread but would probably say to rotate them every so often so the weight isn't spread on one patch.
By w6ady
That will happen anyway as they will be in the garage. Does it matter which way the are stored? Upright? Or laying on sidewalls?
By AdamB92
I don't think it really matters, not without any wheels in them anyway. I know race teams stack them on their sidewalls but that's to not create flat spots on the tread due to the weight of the rim (every little helps I guess).
I would just lay them on their tread, this is how 99% of tyre garages and warehouses store them on racks anyway.

Guess it really depends how much space you have.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]