The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By jymsta
Hi to all you ctr ep3 owners

I am in a bit of a dilemma, i have recently just purchased a new set of Khumo ecsta 39 le sports all round on 215/40/R17 standard OEM wheels..
now after the right ups and hype and people saying they are amazing i decided to shell out the money for a full set all round.
However i had conti 3s on the front and bridgestone re050s on the rear and the car turned like on rails
fully standard set up suspension at the mo.
with the new khumos i feel the front of the car turn in and then the rear after almost like a delayed split second reaction
why is this? at first i thought it was that i had put to much air in at 34 all round so now have 31psi all round and it still feels disconcerting for me and a bit tail happy.... is it because the tyre wall is softer? im out of options
has anyone experienced this other than me, do i just need to get used to that type of tyre?

any thoughts people will really help
cheers
By bluntcap
Always stay conti sports IMO I love them.

Could be many different factors, tyre wall softer/harder, tyres need scrubbed in, tyres are softer/harder in general.

Different tyres = different characteristics I guess.

Wheels all balanced ok?
By jtc
Check the wheels have been properly balanced. Had all 4 of mine done recently and completely changed them for the better.
By J@mes
Kumho are a softer compound i think. They tend to wear quick, however I like them and have had them all round on couple of cars now.
By billster
More than likely it's just flex in the treadblocks as the tyres are still new and give that extra flexibility. Give it a thousand miles or so and it'll get better (or you'll just get used to it lol!). Every time I fit a new set of tyres I'm mildly disappointed because I get the same feeling and I reckon this is the reason....
By jymsta
Thanks guys [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
im sure is a mixture of a few things, balancing is sound i know for a fact.
running 31 front and 30 rear now so feel better than this morning which is good but still not a patch before the swop.
possibly is the tread never thought of that at all.. well done that fellow member
thanks to you all so shocked on responses so fast too
i know what to do if i have any more probs
also getting frsu done soon so once tyres are 1000 miles old plus frsu should be awsome :-D
cheers

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]