The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By jymsta
Hi Guys
Looking for some new rubber for my ep3 ctr..
Anybody have any advice as tyre choice is a big deal and there are some brands that work and others that are plain rubbish
Cheers
By jtc
I've just fitted 4 x Goodyear F1 2's for £380. I was going to give Conti 5's a go, but read they wear a lot quicker.
By mjhamilton
Potz are great and hard wearing

Car was designed around their predecessor the 040
By bennn
160mph_boy wrote:Bridgestone RE050a.
I had these and thought they were good, but the Eagle F1 Assymetric 2's I replaced them with were far superior.

I think the F1's were slightly cheaper too, so thats what I go for now.
By bennn
mjhamilton wrote:Potz are great and hard wearing

Irrelevant IMO, the car was designed over 13 years ago now and tyre technology has obviously moved on since then.
By Lewisgame
Potenza's are known for their rock hard sidewalls. Makes the ride a little stiff but great for pushing hard.
It's difficult to compare tyres. You get used to a worn out tyre. Stick on a brand new tyre from another brand and then rave how much better they feel. Obviously they'll feel better as they're brand new.
All the top brand tyres as as good as each other really. They're all priced roughly the same as well. A lot is down to personal preference. I like the Bridgestone Potenza's. A lot of high performance cars come with these tyres so I think they're pretty well proven.
By JDP
AD08R blow everything previously mentioned out the water as a performance tyre, byt depends what you want....grip....low wear rate....cheapness....availability....etc

Someone who rates one tyre thinks anothers gash and vice versa, i think continentals are toss on everything ive driven with em on.....
By mjhamilton
bennn wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:Potz are great and hard wearing

Irrelevant IMO, the car was designed over 13 years ago now and tyre technology has obviously moved on since then.
and the 050 is the modern improved version which is still right for this platform
By bennn
Yes and the RE050 is now almost ten years old and now superceded by the RE070 which isn't available in the right size....
By 15repyt
bennn wrote:Yes and the RE050 is now almost ten years old and now superceded by the RE070 which isn't available in the right size....
+1
By Lewisgame
RE050 and RE050a haven't been superseded as they're still available to buy. They also come in run flat and many BMW's use these.
The RE070 is a completely different tyre. The RE070R is for the GTR.
By JDP
Im running RE070's and they are an amazing tyre for an ep3 as long as you running evo wheels or any other 8 inch rim
By bennn
Lewisgame wrote:RE050 and RE050a haven't been superseded as they're still available to buy. They also come in run flat and many BMW's use these.
OK its a different tyre but its based on newer technology - I see new technology as a good thing.

Do you still listen to music on a tape player?
By Lewisgame
bennn wrote:
Lewisgame wrote:RE050 and RE050a haven't been superseded as they're still available to buy. They also come in run flat and many BMW's use these.
OK its a different tyre but its based on newer technology - I see new technology as a good thing.

Actually I play/listen to music on amps with valves. Old technology but better sound quality ;)
By mjhamilton
bennn wrote:

EP3 is a car designed over 13 years ago - just because newer technologies and tyres have come around since then it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be better or improve the car in anyway
By bennn
mjhamilton wrote:
bennn wrote:

EP3 is a car designed over 13 years ago - just because newer technologies and tyres have come around since then it doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be better or improve the car in anyway
I have to say I disagree with that when it comes to tyres. The leading tyres nowadays are far superior to the tyres of 13 years ago.

I remember my old GTI 6 (which was 8 years old when I bought it) came with Pirelli P6000's on it (the OE tyre) and they were absolutely shocking.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]