The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Burning Rubber!
By n3ilo
Hi, over the winter I've somehow managed to destroy my front re050a's. Seeing as the weather is still quite rubbish I'm planning on moving my rears (almost new) to the front and fitting new sticky summer tyres on the back.

My theory is I'll use the potz until the good weather comes in and then swap the summer tyres to the front.

I've just bought a charger so I'm hoping that the ad08s will be a good choice. I'm also hoping that they are hard wearing because just chewed a set of conti sport 3s and those potz.

Are the ad08s my best option?
Also where is the cheapest place to get them in 215/45/r17?

Ps I'm running abp springs but I imagine that the 215/45 would be ok?

Cheers
By yella
you want to run semis slicks with normal tyres.

sorry asking for trouble.

All 4 wheels should ahve the same type of tyres, even better as most on here will atest to is to have exactly the same tyres all round. mixing tyres is the work of chavs and retards.

a mediocore set of summers would be better than a good pair of summers mixed witha pair of semi slicks.
By dcep3
I had RE040's and now have AD08's, there is no doubting that the AD08 is a fair bit grippier on track but I haven't yet had them long enough to know how long they last.

For the price you seem to be able to get AD08's for I think they're a good deal (in 215/45 R17 that is)
By n3ilo
yella wrote:you want to run semis slicks with normal tyres.

All 4 wheels should ahve the same type of tyres, even better as most on here will atest to is to have exactly the same tyres all round. mixing tyres is the work of chavs and retards.

a mediocore set of summers would be better than a good pair of summers mixed witha pair of semi slicks.
Nah I know what your saying about mixing tyres, basically my fronts are shot to bits, rears are good. I'm planning on getting a full set of ad08s in the summer. But instead of buying replacement 50s I thought I could just get the ad08s (which will last longer on the back) and run the 50s on the front until the better weather comes in and I can afford another two of the yokos.

I have like zero money as I've just bought a charger. So want to avoid wasting money on tyres that'l sit until next winter
By tabblink
Epic snap off is imminent with good rubber up front and sh*t rubber at back.
By eatthis
tabblink wrote:Epic snap off is imminent with good rubber up front and sh*t rubber at back.
snap off?
you mean snap oversteer?
By bondyboy
eatthis wrote:
tabblink wrote:Epic snap off is imminent with good rubber up front and sh*t rubber at back.
snap off?
you mean snap oversteer?
I reckon that's what he means

Although I know it's not recommended I have mixed tyres before, but they were of a similar grip level at least; mixing semi-slicks with normal tyres would be pretty interesting to say the least - the difference in grip between a premium road tyre and a semi-slick is huge
By bondyboy
eatthis wrote:
snap off?
you mean snap oversteer?
Although thinking about it now, if you had the sticky rubber on the rear and got a bit sideways, I'd imagine the rears would reach a point where they'd grab like an anchor and snap your nose around to the outside of the corner?

Snap off because you'd be off the road/track and in a ditch or tyrewall? :scratch:
By dcep3
I had my AD08's on the rear and RE040's on the front for a few months, I couldn't tell any real difference.

And as above, with grippier tyres on the back would give understeer which is safer and more controllable.
By n3ilo
bondyboy wrote:If you're going the semi-slick route have you fitted a baffled sump? or plan to?
I wasn't planning on the sump as I don't do any track days. If I do in the future I would look into one as well as a LSD. I'll mainly be using the car for work(only 7 miles away), weekend blasts, and the odd tear up the strip.

I've had to fit 2 oem wheels with 040s to get it through its Mot. So I think I'll just run them until they die, then fit a full set of ad08s and put the 050s on the oem alloys.

I got 5 months from the 050s from new, should I expect a lot less with the yokos?
By eatthis
i had r888s on the front of my golf vr6 and t1rs on the back for a while. twas ace fun :lol:
By Mart
AD08's on the rear with RE050's on the front would make the car understeer long before it oversteered in the dry. However in rainy conditions like today you would be asking for serious trouble going with a semi slick on the rear with a road tyre on the front.
By T180985
Am I missing something here? I didn't think the AD08 was a semi slick?? I was under the impression the A048 was yoko's semi slick offering?
By Stevo M81
yella wrote:you want to run semis slicks with normal tyres.

+1 totally agree [smilie=karls_thumb.gif]
By Wingnuttzz
Don't hold me to this, but as far as i'm aware the AD08 is a tyre aimed at fast road and track use. It has 8mm of tread from new (unlike semi-slicks which have 5 or 6, sometime less), its has a fairly conventional tread so can shift a bit of water, but it has the grip levels of a semi slick and won't melt on a track...
By T180985
Wingnuttzz wrote:Don't hold me to this, but as far as i'm aware the AD08 is a tyre aimed at fast road and track use. It has 8mm of tread from new (unlike semi-slicks which have 5 or 6, sometime less), its has a fairly conventional tread so can shift a bit of water, but it has the grip levels of a semi slick and won't melt on a track...
It's a good tyre but doesn't have semi slick grip levels, fast road would be how I categorize it! I was impressed with them though
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]