The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Mugen products.
By Sedge
Are there any key tells between fake and genuine items you can point out? There are similar things with fake Takata and K100 where there is a small detail which hasn't been copied right.
By 11110111
true that - the real ones are so much better because the backs are nicer looking - when they are in the footwell you can really notice the difference & even more so when heel toeing
By MUGEN POWER
Sedge wrote:Are there any key tells between fake and genuine items you can point out? There are similar things with fake Takata and K100 where there is a small detail which hasn't been copied right.
There are some different signs with different products, and now some are being manufactured with anti-counterfeiting measures built-in, but 1) I don't handle enough of the parts enough of the time to be able to tell all the pointers, 2) declaring them all in a public forum would only serve to show the fakers where to concentrate their efforts, and 3) the aim is to close them down and if necessary put them away for a spell so sometimes it pays to let them make mistakes.
The easiest way to spot is - if it looks too cheap to be genuine then it almost certainly isn't - if it's on ebay and not from one of the authorised UK Mugen retailers then its a case of caveat emptor.
By 6N2 GTI 00
Here is an example of the two "Mugen" radiator caps I purchased

Top being the genuine article [smilie=karls_thumb.gif] difference in quality is pretty blatant
The copy was fitted for 5 months, I have now had the genuine one fitted for the same amount of time and it's still mint.

Some items like the Mugen Pedals & Oil caps are harder to identify as fakes as they look so similar

I think if Mugen reduced their prices slightly the counterfeit items would not be so popular
By Chatters
I have been looking at getting the Mugen wing for my FN2! I love the shape it gives the car, but I'm actually a little disgusted by the £1,200 to £1,400 price tag this part comes with, I have been trying to find snippets of info regarding the "fake" wings you find on ebay, seeing lots of reviews saying that the wings fit extremely well, and that unless your actually an expert in genuine Mugen parts, there is really little difference in the build quality. I'm not stupid I can tell quality when I see it, but for nearly £700 less, has anybody noticed any teething problems using one of these wings e.g. fitting/ wear and tear?

I'm not tight, and try to buy only the genuine, recommended parts for my Type R, but the extortionate pricing on a wing which is seemingly the same as a replica is swaying me towards a "fake" Mugen wing.

I'm sure your all gritting your teeth now at the thought of even entertaining a replica wing, but if it does what its supposed to and there isn't much difference in terms of build quality longevity, then im game for the replica.

Appreciate any replies in advance.

Thanks

Chris.
By *nub*
majority of people buy replicas such as seibon. theres a guy developing some fiberglass ones atm, I think for £100 or so. Only genuine one I recall seeing is for sale right now although im sure there have been others. however I don't think Mugen will appreciate you posting this here ;)
By dweezle
Chatters wrote:I have been looking at getting the Mugen wing for my FN2! I love the shape it gives the car, but I'm actually a little disgusted by the £1,200 to £1,400 price tag this part comes with, I have been trying to find snippets of info regarding the "fake" wings you find on ebay, seeing lots of reviews saying that the wings fit extremely well, and that unless your actually an expert in genuine Mugen parts, there is really little difference in the build quality. I'm not stupid I can tell quality when I see it, but for nearly £700 less, has anybody noticed any teething problems using one of these wings e.g. fitting/ wear and tear?

I'm not tight, and try to buy only the genuine, recommended parts for my Type R, but the extortionate pricing on a wing which is seemingly the same as a replica is swaying me towards a "fake" Mugen wing.

I'm sure your all gritting your teeth now at the thought of even entertaining a replica wing, but if it does what its supposed to and there isn't much difference in terms of build quality longevity, then im game for the replica.

Appreciate any replies in advance.

Thanks

Chris.
The fugen kit has killed mugen for the fn2, a chap on civinfo sold a genuine cw mugen spoiler for £400 he started at 800 but no offers because people are buying fugen.
It's ruined it for those who spent thousands making theirs look unique, now every fn2 looks the same & yet they still call theirs "mugenised"
By reppad
i know someone who has bought a fake wing and his mate who works for mugen say that is better quality than the real one, he got his from ireland and to tell the truth im no expert but it is the mutts nuts and at £ 500 euros also the fit is perfect no drilling or nothing and comes fully primed
By NPyke
Mugen need to assess there pricings, especially when you can almost buy a ctr for the price of a carbon wing.. Come on that's ridiculous! I'd choose to pay £2/300 but not £1000 more for a genuine product.. I know of mugen dealers who aren't to comfortable selling there products at the catalogue price.. Tells you something doesn't it, and that company is quite big in the Honda world..
By J
burberry stuff is cheap in local markets as well. Looks almost the same as the real thing. Look closely and a fake is a fake and you just end up looking cheap and from a council estate.
By smartie
J wrote:burberry stuff is cheap in local markets as well. Looks almost the same as the real thing. Look closely and a fake is a fake and you just end up looking cheap and from a council estate.
Look like that with genuine Mugen though. :lol:
By dweezle
Quality better than the real thing :lol: I'll get a photo of my mates irish fugen rear splitter the fitment is that poor you can get your fingers behind it, I had the genuine and both were fitted at the same body shop & the chap said the difference was miles apart, genuine was literally on in 10 minutes with no problems, fugen fitment was shockingly bad.
Mugens prices are high for a reason (so owners can make a unique car) so if you want something that bad then save up for it, buying a fake spoiler with the mugen badge on it is no different than walking around with a bolex watch or a raff loren polo shirt with a camel stitched on it
By Lee H 27
My fake grille from Ireland is dreadful, cheap plastic bubble badge, holes in the wrong place for the Honda badge.

Rest of the genuine Mugen parts on my car fit great.
By LUV4JDM
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/Volante-Hon ... 6016.l4276

Spotted this and didn't see it in the link so might as well post it here. Pretty obvious fake though, but at that price people who don't know the difference might think this is a bargain when it's actually a big rip off. I've already seen these for $32 on another site so don't bother :wink:

Looks good for a $32 wheel but I bet these fold/break just as easy as the QSP, fake Nardi wheels etc.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]