The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Information, speculation and anything else specifically related to Mugen products.
By Markb42
Hi, I will be test driving a white mugen type r tonight.

Just wondering if they have any common faults that I should look out for.

I know very little about Hondas so I'm sorry about my ignorance! Did they only make 200 of the mugen or are there some that arent limited edition?

Thanks,
Mark
Cheers, are the m200's alot better than a standard type r? Is it worth the extra money?? Also what sort of extras do you get in them as standard? I have done a few searches but nothing seems to come up
They are the GT LSD spec type r with mugen front and rear bumpers. They look nicer but have no more 'go' unfortuantely compared to normal FN2's.

Common problems are:

clutch squeaky/noisy
Rust under the top door rubber trim
Rust under the rubber strip where the windscreen and roof meet
Recall for wiring under the left side engine mount, vin can be checked against Hondas site to see if it needs this doing
stone chips bonnet and front wings
FireBIade2 wrote:They are the GT LSD spec type r with mugen front and rear bumpers. They look nicer but have no more 'go' unfortuantely compared to normal FN2's.

Common problems are:

clutch squeaky/noisy
Rust under the top door rubber trim
Rust under the rubber strip where the windscreen and roof meet
Recall for wiring under the left side engine mount, vin can be checked against Hondas site to see if it needs this doing
stone chips bonnet and front wings
As FireBlade said, plus 19" Lightning alloys, and Mugen plaque infront of the gear knob and a leatherbound wallet with the mugen number on it for you log book manual etc.
Cheers for the replies, the car was really nice to drive but just didn't feel as fast as I expected. Just done a bit of research and it's probably because I was told that they were 237 bhp when they are only the same as a standard type r.

Do like the fact that there are only 200 though :-D.
Markb42 wrote:Cheers for the replies, the car was really nice to drive but just didn't feel as fast as I expected. Just done a bit of research and it's probably because I was told that they were 237 bhp when they are only the same as a standard type r.

The real mugen one was 237bhp not the m200
Markb42 wrote:Cheers for the replies, the car was really nice to drive but just didn't feel as fast as I expected. Just done a bit of research and it's probably because I was told that they were 237 bhp when they are only the same as a standard type r.

Difference of feeling fast and going fast! Being used to boost you will lose that shove in the back when you boot it; but rest assured the civic will still be flying!
Shappers wrote:

Difference of feeling fast and going fast! Being used to boost you will lose that shove in the back when you boot it; but rest assured the civic will still be flying!
The corsa would have felt faster, because it was.
pulpmelon_r wrote:
Shappers wrote:

The corsa would have felt faster, because it was.
How fast are these little corsas, noticed a few in my area recently.
By yella
pulpmelon_r wrote:Resonably fast untill they melt a piston.

200hp, 1220kg and 170lbs of torque

And thats before anyone says the 'r' word...
Ask jordanVXR on here, he owned a remapped arctic VXR for 42000 miles, never had a single issue apart from a wheel bearing done under warranty and most of its time was either round the ring or trackdays here. the 4th piston problem is about as common as oil issue on type r's. Very rare, blown out of proportion by uninformed forum types and fully down to user error usually.

However he now has an EP3 and prefers that to the vauxhall, especially on track.
yella wrote:

Ask jordanVXR on here, he owned a remapped arctic VXR for 42000 miles, never had a single issue apart from a wheel bearing done under warranty and most of its time was either round the ring or trackdays here. the 4th piston problem is about as common as oil issue on type r's. Very rare, blown out of proportion by uninformed forum types and fully down to user error usually.

However he now has an EP3 and prefers that to the vauxhall, especially on track.
I'm guessing it was stock?

EP3 > Corsa

No brainer.
Quite liked the idea of the 1.6T Sri corsa... Same engine, lower state of tune.

Standard vxr is 190 iirc? Think thorny stage 1 map takes them to around 230? Piston problem was down to dodgy remaps from the research I did few years back. Was tempted by one, but reliability put me off.
By EvoStu
yella wrote:

Really? Blown out of proportion? I don't so matey, a simple search highlights the issues.

www.bit.ly/PSXfxb
EvoStu wrote:
yella wrote:

Really? Blown out of proportion? I don't so matey, a simple search highlights the issues.

http://www.bit.ly/PSXfxb
I usually let Yella off the odd rage post, but those Corsas do kinda have a rep for the melting thing.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]