The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

Found any good Honda or CTR clips, then post a link
Forum rules: You can now embed YouTube videos directly in your post.

Just place your YouTube link in post and submit. NO need for BBcode anymore :-)
By yella
the only thing i will say on this, although the civic does not have right of way, if that was a lorry coming you would be expected to move over for him or slow down and make space,

but lorries very rarely make space for other drivers, that could have been avoided if the lorry had slowed a little to let the driver in.
By Sedge
Isn't that really old? It might have been a similar event but it included the car driver doing it on purpose for a claim.
The Highway Code wrote: 3. Joining the motorway (259)
Joining the motorway. When you join the motorway you will normally approach it from a road on the left (a slip road) or from an adjoining motorway. You should:
  • give priority to traffic already on the motorway
  • check the traffic on the motorway and match your speed to fit safely into the traffic flow in the left-hand lane
  • not cross solid white lines that separate lanes or use the hard shoulder
  • stay on the slip road if it continues as an extra lane on the motorway
  • remain in the left-hand lane long enough to adjust to the speed of traffic before considering overtaking.
yella wrote:the only thing i will say on this, although the civic does not have right of way, if that was a lorry coming you would be expected to move over for him or slow down and make space,

but lorries very rarely make space for other drivers, that could have been avoided if the lorry had slowed a little to let the driver in.
It'd be nice but, in my experience, they usually only move over to allow other lorries out.
By J@mes
yella wrote:the only thing i will say on this, although the civic does not have right of way, if that was a lorry coming you would be expected to move over for him or slow down and make space,

Cant really argue with that.

I don't know if anyone is a lorry driver here? But, can anyone explain why lorries overtake each other for aaaaaaaages taking up two lanes to get a couple of seconds in front of the other? Does it really make that much difference to their journey/tacho?
J@mes wrote:

Cant really argue with that.

I don't know if anyone is a lorry driver here? But, can anyone explain why lorries overtake each other for aaaaaaaages taking up two lanes to get a couple of seconds in front of the other? Does it really make that much difference to their journey/tacho?
Because most of them went through secondary school licking their own reflection off the windows in the special needs room. They also find great difficulty in conducting other complex challenges in life, such as spelling their own name correctly or eating a sandwich without spilling half of it down their hi-vis. Don't frown on them, feel sorry for them.
I think they do it out of frustration. That or half of them are pissed and don't know what they are doing. Some nob in an Wilko lorry pulled out on me this morning on J31 roundabout and then coasted to a standstill. I can only presume he had a problem with the truck. That or he was pissed and didn't know what he was doing.
By graeme01
Well boys am a hgv driver ! And the answer to your question is, if your overtaking a slower lorry the slower lorry should back off and let you pass fairly quickly but some drivers are c**ts and don't so you literally hold everyone else up ! It's frustrating for us aswell !
Understood, but if there is so little difference between the speed that you want to travel and that of the other truck, what's the point in attempting it? It will shave such a small amount off your journey it's not worth holding everybody else up, is it?

When driving a car, you wouldn't overtake someone only to then pull in front of them and continue 2mph quicker than you were doing before, so why do it in a lorry?
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:Understood, but if there is so little difference between the speed that you want to travel and that of the other truck, what's the point in attempting it? It will shave such a small amount off your journey it's not worth holding everybody else up, is it?

When driving a car, you wouldn't overtake someone only to then pull in front of them and continue 2mph quicker than you were doing before, so why do it in a lorry?
I understand where your coming from but look at this way if your going through the average speed limits on the motorway say at 50 and you get 1 person doing 50 and the person behind him doing 49 and the person behind him doing 48 and so on you wouldn't get anywhere ! So if you catch a slower lorry up because yours is faster or unladen you overtake when possible just the same as you would in a car ( but slower )
graeme01 wrote:
NHB_EP3_Chris wrote:Understood, but if there is so little difference between the speed that you want to travel and that of the other truck, what's the point in attempting it? It will shave such a small amount off your journey it's not worth holding everybody else up, is it?

I understand where your coming from but look at this way if your going through the average speed limits on the motorway say at 50 and you get 1 person doing 50 and the person behind him doing 49 and the person behind him doing 48 and so on you wouldn't get anywhere ! So if you catch a slower lorry up because yours is faster or unladen you overtake when possible just the same as you would in a car ( but slower )
You are talking about such small differences though! Something I've noticed over the last 10yrs is that overtaking on British roads doesn't tend to gain you much, unless it's a clear road and you keep the extra speed up for a substantial amount of time. In most cases, on most roads you will have to slow down again before much of an advantage can be gained. For example, I see no end of car drivers overtake in dangerous places, only to reach a set of lights 500yrds down the road and the car they were following pulls up a metre behind them. What's the point in taking the chance of a head-on collision, just to gain a few feet?

The same applies on the motorway to a certain extent, which is why it annoys so many people when they get caught in a huge tailback behind an articulated lorry which is trying to overtake another lorry (esp. uphill!), when there's basically nothing between them in terms of speed. Regardless of some unwritten etiquette between truck drivers, it's just a bit pointless anyway.

Back on the original topic the video the OP posted, all it would have taken to avoid that accident is for the lorry driver to show a tiny bit of consideration and let the car in. Instead, either to prove a point or because he was so hellbent on keeping up with the lorry ahead, he decides to hang the driver out to dry, potentially causing a serious accident. The car driver doesn't cross the solid white line to the left which is actually in compliance with the highway code. Yes they screwed up their position trying to merge in but in most circumstances you'd expect the lorry driver would show the decency to just let them in.
Your right the advantages of overtaking are minimal sometimes it gets you ahead sometimes it doesn't ! As for the original topic it's just bad driving by the hgv driver he should of backed off and let him in. Just another case of bad driving, unfortunately it happens a lot on our roads by all types of drivers.
Ok so the hgv driver could've let off and this would've been avoided.but the car driver should've seen this situation as he was coming down the slip road and not put himself in this position trying to squeeze in between 2 trucks.but as with most drivers on the road nobody wants to ease up just for a second and expects everyone else to adjust for them.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]