The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By Jktaylor87
So who has tackled the timing chain on their own? If you have, what problems did you face? Other than the crank pulley bolt! [emoji23]

And who's taken it too a garage? How much did you have to shell out?
By al_typeR
I took mine to TGM. Turned out it was the tensioner at fault (zero stretch on the chain, not bad for 145k miles).
By Benjanyan
Took mine to a garage near where I work to have it done. Convenient but not all that cheap. About £370 for parts which were OEM - Chain, tensioner, tensioner assembly, tensioner arm and two guides. Whether all these needed replacing, I don't know; not even sure what the tensioner assembly or arm even is. Then it was almost 4 hours labor costing £200.

I keep telling myself that it was worth it because it runs so much better now. :Cry:
By royp
I took the cam cover off the other day to check the cam timing marks Image it doesn't look too bad for 109K miles, maybe 1/2 a tooth out.I will replace the chain, tensioner & guides myself at some point for peace of mind.There is an excelant guide on Youtube but I don't see it as an urgent job.I would welcome any ones opinion as to if the misalignment is acceptable.
By Lewisgame
royp wrote:I took the cam cover off the other day to check the cam timing marks Image it doesn't look too bad for 109K miles, maybe 1/2 a tooth out.I will replace the chain, tensioner & guides myself at some point for peace of mind.There is an excelant guide on Youtube but I don't see it as an urgent job.I would welcome any ones opinion as to if the misalignment is acceptable.
Looks ok to me. Just consider that the chain tensioner requires oil pressure to apply tension to the chain. Engine off, no oil pressure, so the chain isn’t under the correct tension which can make the timing look slightly out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]