The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By wHAmEz
Hi guys I'm in a pickle about what to do for my servicing. It was last serviced at 14725 miles at the end of 2013. It has had 8 services since it was new. The car has obviously covered very low mileage and it still doesn't do many miles in my hands. It's had full Arnold Clark servicing throughout its life and the last was a 32 point services. I have never been to get a car serviced at a garage it's always something I've been able to do my self. Can anyone tell me other than the usually oil, filter, brakes etc what would need to be serviced this time around. The car runs sweet as a nut and doesn't burn oil even on 0-30w which was used by Honda when serviced. I don't want to get fleeced by a silly price. The brakes are fine new pads, discs, lines and fluid. I'm looking to change the oil when I next get time with the car, probably to 5-40w as that seem to be the preferred choice. What's the deal with the valve clearance? Are there any tell tale signs that needs looking at? Is it the done thing to explain to a garage that most of the service has been done and your basically just paying for a stamp? Any advice and I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
James
By ABP MOTORSPORT
wHAmEz wrote:Hi guys I'm in a pickle about what to do for my servicing. It was last serviced at 14725 miles at the end of 2013. It has had 8 services since it was new. The car has obviously covered very low mileage and it still doesn't do many miles in my hands. It's had full Arnold Clark servicing throughout its life and the last was a 32 point services. I have never been to get a car serviced at a garage it's always something I've been able to do my self. Can anyone tell me other than the usually oil, filter, brakes etc what would need to be serviced this time around. The car runs sweet as a nut and doesn't burn oil even on 0-30w which was used by Honda when serviced. I don't want to get fleeced by a silly price. The brakes are fine new pads, discs, lines and fluid. I'm looking to change the oil when I next get time with the car, probably to 5-40w as that seem to be the preferred choice. What's the deal with the valve clearance? Are there any tell tale signs that needs looking at? Is it the done thing to explain to a garage that most of the service has been done and your basically just paying for a stamp? Any advice and I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
James
Hi James,

Yes use 5w/40 fully synthetic oil as that is what we use and its a perfect grade for that engine.

With the Valve Clearances you probably will be wasting your money because of the mileage it has covered. We usually see them needing to be reset at around 70,000+ miles.

If you just want a stamp for a service, take it to the garage and get them to carry out a small service changing just the oil and filter and a checkover which will get you the stamp. If you want to replace anything else just do the additional parts yourself.

If you give me the registration year of your car, I will work out what it is due for.

Hope this helps?

Regards, Dave.
By wHAmEz
ABP MOTORSPORT wrote:
wHAmEz wrote:Hi guys I'm in a pickle about what to do for my servicing. It was last serviced at 14725 miles at the end of 2013. It has had 8 services since it was new. The car has obviously covered very low mileage and it still doesn't do many miles in my hands. It's had full Arnold Clark servicing throughout its life and the last was a 32 point services. I have never been to get a car serviced at a garage it's always something I've been able to do my self. Can anyone tell me other than the usually oil, filter, brakes etc what would need to be serviced this time around. The car runs sweet as a nut and doesn't burn oil even on 0-30w which was used by Honda when serviced. I don't want to get fleeced by a silly price. The brakes are fine new pads, discs, lines and fluid. I'm looking to change the oil when I next get time with the car, probably to 5-40w as that seem to be the preferred choice. What's the deal with the valve clearance? Are there any tell tale signs that needs looking at? Is it the done thing to explain to a garage that most of the service has been done and your basically just paying for a stamp? Any advice and I would be very grateful. Thanks in advance.
James
Hi James,

Yes use 5w/40 fully synthetic oil as that is what we use and its a perfect grade for that engine.

With the Valve Clearances you probably will be wasting your money because of the mileage it has covered. We usually see them needing to be reset at around 70,000+ miles.

If you just want a stamp for a service, take it to the garage and get them to carry out a small service changing just the oil and filter and a checkover which will get you the stamp. If you want to replace anything else just do the additional parts yourself.

If you give me the registration year of your car, I will work out what it is due for.

Hope this helps?

Regards, Dave.
Cheers Dave. I've just bought Fuchs 5w-40 and a new oil filter. I'll probably change most filters and fluids just so I know there done. I'll do that with the stamp. A friends friend works at a decent garage so I'll take it to him. Thanks again with the valve clearance. The car drives great so I wasn't sure about that.
By ABP MOTORSPORT
No problem.

Let me know if you need any parts as we stock everything for servicing.

Regards,

Dave.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]