The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By Jimmy W
Took my car to my local dealer for a 6-month oil and filter change yesterday. When I checked the oil level this morning it was mid way between the high and low marks rather than up to the high point as I would have expected after a change :shock:.

According to their invoice they charged me for 4 litres which sounds to be about right but TBH I've never checked my oil level straight after a service before on previous cars (too trusting!) so I'd just assumed it would be filled up to the max level.

Probably me just being too pinickity but any advice would be appreciated as I want to make sure the job's done right particularly as this is my first Honda servicing experience!

Cheers. :)
By Captain Redbeard
Mine had its first service last Thursday before I picked it up on Saturday.

I'm going to check the oil levels tomorrow morning but I would expect them to be at full as they've charged me for 4 litres as well.

I'll let you know what I find.
;)
By Jimmy W
Just read a thread from the 'Oil' section (sorry mods - this is now probably in the wrong place!) and notice that some of you think you won't get full performance from your iVTEC unless your oil is up at the full marker :shock: .

Any other views on this? Obviously if this is the case then the Service Dept at my dealer have fu**ed up as the oil level (when cold) is only mid way between high and low.

I'm sure there must be enough experts on this forum to answer this one definitevely :roll:
By JPS3290
I'd check it properly first mate,in the CTR, and most modern Petrol engines these days you have to let the oil get up to temperature then swtich the engine off and allow it about 4-5 mins to settle and then measure the oil while its warm. Sounds like it probably is too low though.

You only measure the oil in Diesel engines when cold.
By Jimmy W
Thanks for that JPS. I did actually check it when I got back from the service last night (was at the same level as this morning) but as it was on the low side I thought I'd check it this morning once it had fully settled but there was no real change.

Think I'll phone Honda!
By gsm
If the level you're parked is not fully level then you also won't get an accurate reading. Basically the car should not move with the handbrake off.
Unless the car holds oil near the cam (very few high performance cars), I would read it when cold.
By coxy
JPS3290 wrote:I'd check it properly first mate,in the CTR, and most modern Petrol engines these days you have to let the oil get up to temperature then swtich the engine off and allow it about 4-5 mins to settle and then measure the oil while its warm. Sounds like it probably is too low though.

You only measure the oil in Diesel engines when cold.
Can you explain ... I measure mine when cold to get accurate readings (cos I park on flat). Why would I have to do what you say?
By Ibizarich
I checked my oil for the first time last weekend since buying the car in July... A little foolish perhaps.. anyway the level was practically at the bottom of the dip stick... I hadn't got any oil lights yet though...

anyway I promptly went and bought some Helix plus and it drank probly about 4 Litres and it was right up to the max fill level... so I think they charged you too much.. well put in too little...
By TypeR-2898
Jeez.... :shock:

You hadn't checked your oil since July..... you should check any car at least once a month let alone a CTR (Which is a little thirsty and should be checked weekly - ish)

You are lucky your engine hadn't seized
By Ibizarich
yeah I know... my bad...I'm sure I would have got an oil Low light before anything nasty happened anyway... Anyway, I'll check it regular now..
By TypeR-2898
My belief of the oil light is to do with pressure not level, which is why it is on before you start the car and after you stop it...

I may be wrong and am willing to be corrected etc.... :D :oops:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]