The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By Alex Knight
Hi All,

Did my valva clearances today, they were MILES out. Car is on 78K miles.

About 0.08mm clearance, inlet and exhaust.

Set them to 0.23mm inlet, and 0.27mm exhaust.

Tis a bit noiser now, but that's to be expected. Shut up once it's warm.

Anyone else had their's so far out?
By dannypom
Are these the honda listed clearances for the valves??
Doing mine soon so need them
Thanks
By Alex Knight
Thanks Owl, the search doesn't appear to be working for me?

Anyone that has adjusted their valve clearances then, what were the clearances before adjustment?

I'm actually a little concearned, as the engine does seem a fair bit tappier than before. You could barely hear them before, even with the bonnet up.

BTW, I did re-check the clearances after the locknuts were tightened. :wink:
By Sam_EP3
Going to ring Honda on monday to see about having mine done. Any gaskets need replacing when this is done?
By Alex Knight
No, no gaskets need replacing per se, you can replace the rocker cover gasket if you like.

Just a note to anyone who is contemplating this:

Please make sure that you begin with cylinder 1, and be 100% that you set to TDC, by aligning the marks, and then working to 3,4 and then 2.

DO NOT set the valve clearances with what appears to be the cams 'off' lobe.

This is how I did it the first time, and the clearances were wrong. I re-did them today with each cylinder set to TDC and the valvetrain is now silent, and I am no longer concerned.

Many thanks to mjhamilton for supplying the link.
By mjhamilton
Alex Knight wrote:No, no gaskets need replacing per se, you can replace the rocker cover gasket if you like.

Just a note to anyone who is contemplating this:

Please make sure that you begin with cylinder 1, and be 100% that you set to TDC, by aligning the marks, and then working to 3,4 and then 2.

DO NOT set the valve clearances with what appears to be the cams 'off' lobe.

This is how I did it the first time, and the clearances were wrong. I re-did them today with each cylinder set to TDC and the valvetrain is now silent, and I am no longer concerned.

Many thanks to mjhamilton for supplying the link.
NP.. altho I have not used this document myself it is very well written and the process makes complete sense and is in its simplest form.... I have seen other people do write ups on this forum which seem very complex and there seems to be a lot of 'guesswork' in finding TDC for each cylinder.. this document uses standard marks and identifiers on the engines moving parts to be very accurate in making this happen :WOOT

Glad I could of been of assistance
By Sam_EP3
I took the car down to my local dealer today to have the valve clearances checked/adjusted as the engine has become quite noisy during normal operation, alot more 'tappety' over the last couple of weeks. Left it with them 9.30am, came off the ramps at 3.30pm (why it was on a ramp to have the valves checked is beyond me!), service manager then informed me that the valves were checked and all were fine, two different technicians had listened to the car and said it sounds normal, and any excessive noise I can "supposedly" hear during driving is just the injectors!? This is business as Im very picky when it comes to my car and I can tell when the engine noise differs from normal. He said that all clearances are with the guidelines so no adjustments neccessary. And then they ask me for £70 for not adjusting anything! Ive sent an email off to Honda UK customer care as he was not prepared to accept that the car didnt sound right, and i want to know exactly how wide these tolerances are.
By tuf
According to service manual, Valve clearances are -
Intake:
0.21 - 0.25 mm (0.008 - 0.010 in.)

Exhaust:
0.25 - 0.29 mm (0.010 - 0.011 in.)

mjhamilton has posted a link which shows the pages from the service manual which confirms the above numbers.
By Barney
You asked them to check them, they did., they said they were fine (im assuming that Honda know what they are doing being Honda mechanics working on a Honda car).

They are going to charge you for the time taken in checking.

Unless you are saying that they didnt check them at all.
By dave ep3
The dealer does have the right to charge you for any work you request even if it just a check so i doubt Honda uk will do anything about this as you requested the work so Honda carried it out therefore a charge should be applied. As for the engine being noiser this is very very odd as the tappets are now within spec (tighter) so the engine would have made more noise before you adjusted them.
By CFA
I have only had my car for just under two weeks and I do not know if the valve clearance's have been done the car has 77k on the clock but had its 75k service at a private garage. Does anyone know how much this normally costs as was thinking about getting it done just incase.

Thanks
By mjhamilton
CFA wrote:I have only had my car for just under two weeks and I do not know if the valve clearance's have been done the car has 77k on the clock but had its 75k service at a private garage. Does anyone know how much this normally costs as was thinking about getting it done just incase.

Thanks
one hours labour and maybe a new rocker gasket... plan for £90 tops

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]