The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By mjhamilton
Barney wrote:why is this a sticky ?
I think it is because of me hosting the pages from the workshop manual for all that want to do the job correctly instead of guessing :thumbup:
By Barney
mjhamilton wrote:
Barney wrote:why is this a sticky ?
I think it is because of me hosting the pages from the workshop manual for all that want to do the job correctly instead of guessing :thumbup:
:cool:
By ryanthetriad
Mr Anderson wrote:Maybe 2. The car will need to be left overnight as the clearances have to be checked on a cold engine.
I see. Thanks, this will be the first time I get this done.
By Yates
im not too up on the lingo but is valve adjustment the same as adjusting the tappets? Because ive just speaking to a mechanic about valve adjustment & he said do you mean adjusting the tappets.
By ryanthetriad
Yates wrote:im not too up on the lingo but is valve adjustment the same as adjusting the tappets? Because ive just speaking to a mechanic about valve adjustment & he said do you mean adjusting the tappets.
Good question! I want to know as well....
By gusman2x
On a bit of an aside, I had a 50,000 mile service done last month (including valve clearances). Immediately after the car felt pretty nice and tight, but after about a week, it's started to take an extra 0.5-1.0 seconds to turn over. Not all the time, and it always does turn over, but just seems to take longer to catch.

Any ideas?

Thanks
By dibbles00
Mr Anderson wrote:Maybe 2. The car will need to be left overnight as the clearances have to be checked on a cold engine.
I'm taking my car in to TDi and they will be doing the valve clearances.

Question is:

How can they do this if I am driving down there for 1pm (very hot engine) and leaving at the end of the big service?

Shall I ask them about this as they certainly haven't told me anything about a cold engine is needed to check them :???:
By mjhamilton
dibbles00 wrote:
I'm taking my car in to TDi and they will be doing the valve clearances.

Question is:

How can they do this if I am driving down there for 1pm (very hot engine) and leaving at the end of the big service?

Shall I ask them about this as they certainly haven't told me anything about a cold engine is needed to check them :???:
this is a point of discussion... most people say it needs to be stone cold but if you look at the workshop manual it actually says below a certain temp...

When I took mine to TGM I dropped it in the morning and they did the service and valve adjustment in the afternoon.. it has been perfect since... I personally and not convinced the engine should be ice cold and as I say above the Honda manual supports this
By dibbles00
Thanks for the reply. I have email Paul at TDi what I wrote here and I am waiting for him to get back to me. When he does I shall post up on here what they think.

Thanks,
Dibs

AKA
Dee :)
By dibbles00
Okay, TDi have replied with the car's engine has to be under 38’celcium (100’F) and it is checked prior to adjusting with a laser thermometer (which backs up what you said
mjhamilton wrote: if you look at the workshop manual it actually says below a certain temp...
).

Can anyone tell me the actual reason for adjusting the clearances? Someone on here said that it has made his engine harder to start, so is it actually worth it in the long run?
By chuffy
mjhamilton wrote:
When I took mine to TGM I dropped it in the morning and they did the service and valve adjustment in the afternoon.. it has been perfect since... I personally and not convinced the engine should be ice cold and as I say above the Honda manual supports this

Did the car sound better

I'm booking my ctr in for its next service next week which will be 66k

I asked honda do phone me back with a quote for a service & add to do the clearances. The woman on the phone says valves are done @ 75k. My ctr still has a tappy sound when it is warm after the drive home from work. No harm done in getting it done now?
It will be getting:
Oil & filter (supply own oil)
fuel filter
plugs (supplied by mike)
Gear oil changed

Might as well see if they can do the clearances.
By mjhamilton
dibbles00 wrote:Okay, TDi have replied with the car's engine has to be under 38’celcium (100’F) and it is checked prior to adjusting with a laser thermometer (which backs up what you said
mjhamilton wrote: if you look at the workshop manual it actually says below a certain temp...
).

Can anyone tell me the actual reason for adjusting the clearances? Someone on here said that it has made his engine harder to start, so is it actually worth it in the long run?
it wont make the engine harder to start.. that is a load of old toffee.. :scratch: it will only be like this if the job has been done wrong and the valves are now totally out of tolerance and opening too much or too little :lol:

.. over time there is wear on the cams and valves that changes their length.. this when it gets to a certain point actually reduces the amount the valve opens at the top of the cam lobe and thus reduces the engines efficiency.....

Adjusting the valve train simply compensates for this wear by bringing the rocker arm closer to the valve stem top (to the specified tolerance) so the engine runs smooth again. :thumbup:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]