The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

The place for all those routine questions about routine servicing.
By mjhamilton
chuffy wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
When I took mine to TGM I dropped it in the morning and they did the service and valve adjustment in the afternoon.. it has been perfect since... I personally and not convinced the engine should be ice cold and as I say above the Honda manual supports this

Did the car sound better

I'm booking my ctr in for its next service next week which will be 66k

I asked honda do phone me back with a quote for a service & add to do the clearances. The woman on the phone says valves are done @ 75k. My ctr still has a tappy sound when it is warm after the drive home from work. No harm done in getting it done now?
It will be getting:
Oil & filter (supply own oil)
fuel filter
plugs (supplied by mike)
Gear oil changed

Might as well see if they can do the clearances.
Yes it did.. but remember the top end of the K20 is 16 valve and these are always clicky engines, they will never be slient.. also the fuel injectors make quite a loud clicking or tapping noise each time they fire...
By chuffy
Just to throw this out here.... got a quote from Honda for a 6 year service including valve clearances:

£523.66

That prob includes plugs and gear oil (I hope)
By ctr_boi
so is it difficult to do this yourself? i serviced my car etc all running nicely but i am wondering if i could do this myself? lol
By rossi82
mjhamilton wrote:Anyone interested - http://cid-ea53332ab160d6fc.skydrive.li ... chUpload=1

Mods - feel free to delete this if I am not allowed to post this type of documentation
And they charge nearly £200 for this! :shock: Seems like an absolute doddle! Only question is where it says rotate the crankshaft 180 degrees, how exactly is this done? Has anyone who has done this before had any issues removing and re-installing the cylinder head cover?
By RoBMX
I just got a quote over email for the big 75000 mile service for a trouser ruining sum of $600 all in all, I'm hoping that they will include the valve clearances in that? They do want the car for the whole day.

Is it worth getting the service done early so its done just before a trackday I may be going on or should it be fine as long as oil levels etc. are ok?
By rossi82
RoBMX wrote:I just got a quote over email for the big 75000 mile service for a trouser ruining sum of $600 all in all, I'm hoping that they will include the valve clearances in that? They do want the car for the whole day.

Is it worth getting the service done early so its done just before a trackday I may be going on or should it be fine as long as oil levels etc. are ok?
Could go either way really, if you do an oil and filter change yourself before the trackday and leave the service until after, it should be fine so long as it's running ok at the moment?
By mjhamilton
RoBMX wrote:I just got a quote over email for the big 75000 mile service for a trouser ruining sum of $600 all in all, I'm hoping that they will include the valve clearances in that? They do want the car for the whole day.

simple.. don't take it to Honda.. there is no real benefit in doing this anyways once the car it out of warranty.. you don't gain anything from doing this in reality
By scotttomo
Are there any issues with not having the valve clearances done as soon as the tapping starts? Will there be any exssesive wear on the cams resulting from this?

Cheers,

Scott
By mjhamilton
scotttomo wrote:Are there any issues with not having the valve clearances done as soon as the tapping starts? Will there be any exssesive wear on the cams resulting from this?

Cheers,

Scott

tapping wont just 'start' it will creep in over time.. poor valve clearances will lead to poor performance and economy and in some cases the engine can run pretty poorly...
By vtrsp1rob
Cheers MJ, set mine today using this info. :thumbup:
By rossi82
vtrsp1rob wrote:Cheers MJ, set mine today using this info. :thumbup:
Was there much to it?
By vtrsp1rob
rossi82 wrote:
Was there much to it?
pretty fiddly! Getting everything off wasn't too bad, had to take brake resevoir bracket off to get cam cover off, and front wheel off to turn engine over using a socket on the bottom pulley. Also had to bend feeler gauges 90 degrees to be able to check clearances.....

top tip, take spark plugs out to make turning crank around easier!
By rossi82
vtrsp1rob wrote:
rossi82 wrote:
Was there much to it?
pretty fiddly! Getting everything off wasn't too bad, had to take brake resevoir bracket off to get cam cover off, and front wheel off to turn engine over using a socket on the bottom pulley. Also had to bend feeler gauges 90 degrees to be able to check clearances.....

Haha! Noted :thumbup:

How long did it take you from start to finish?
By vtrsp1rob
rossi82 wrote:
vtrsp1rob wrote:
rossi82 wrote:
Was there much to it?

Haha! Noted :thumbup:

How long did it take you from start to finish?
about 3 - 4 hours, but if i did it again prob only a couple of hours. Most didn't need doing.
By owen86
Can anyone confirm that these are the same settings need for the FN2 engine aswell? I believe the heads are the same as the EP3?
By hamlar13
getting my valves done by honda next week, taking it to honda as i dont trust any local garages to do it eventhough it will cost more. Now iv read the manual on how to do it i really want to attempt it myself! but knowing me i would only make a dogs dinner of it :lol: hope it doesnt cost too much though as they charged me £50 the other day just to reset the SRS light!
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]