The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

All chat/questions relating to this highly memorable driving holiday in here.
By evilowl
11 days
2500 miles approx (first draft of route)
2x double rest days to be spent doing what you want inbetween the driving

This is a rough first draft of the route

Day 1 (311 miles - 6hrs expected driving)

Eurotunnel
Calais - Ypres for brekkie
Ypres - Spa Francorchamps late lunch
Spa - Nurburgring
Evening laps of ring
Stay locally

Day 2 (374 miles - 5hrs 40 mins expected driving)

Nurburg - Lauterbrunnen via Koblenz. Derestricted autobahn for the MF'ing win

Day 3

Lauterbrunnen and surrounding area. Go up Eiger (bring crampons climbingfags) depends on weather

Day 4

Lauterbrunnen and surrounding area.

Day 5 (242 miles - 7 hrs expected driving)

Lauterbrunnen to St Moritz via several epic driving roads (as featured on Top Gear Chur to Davos)

Day 6 (180 miles - 6hrs expected driving)

AM - St Moritz to Stelvio for lunch via Livignio for all you duty free shoppers buy your fags here

PM - Stelvio to Varenna or somewhere around Lake Como

Day 7 (approx 326 miles, 6.5hrs driving)

Above final destination to Frejus, France (via Col Du Turini for any rally fags). Optional stop over in Monaco

Day 8

Frejus and surrounding area (Cannes/Nice/Monaco/St Tropez)

Day 9

Frejus and surrounding area

Day 10 (336 miles, 7.5 hrs expected driving)

Frejus to Bourg-en-Bresse via Route Napoleon

Day 11 (442 miles, 6 hrs expected driving)

Bourg-en-Bresse to Calais via Reims

Total expected mileage 2211 miles
Last edited by evilowl on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By evilowl
Cat wrote:I also think it needs to be 5/6 hours max driving a day but no idea what each day on your map consists of.
Yeah I think late June / early July would be a good idea as more of the passes will be open but I will go with the majority

I have spread this out more than previous tours so there will be 2x double rest days for you to do what you want inbetween the driving stints, however as you know it's always difficult to calculate driving time in the mountains as your average speed is very low.

Will update the post with further details as and when I have some more time to work on it.

Oh and this will mostly be camping, not only to keep costs down but because there is no fecking way we are organising all that sh-t this time round as it's a pain in the balls. Unless someone wants to do it in which case speak now :)
By Newannaive
What brought this on evilfag..?

It's totally awesome btw, you rock. :thumbup:
By evilowl
Updated post 2 with expected daily mileage/driving time as calculated by Google Maps. Total overall mileage 2211 miles for the 11 days. There will most likely have to be some tweaking of this route to take account of days in the mountains
By Newannaive
Holy moly, look at the scenery !..thats cool. :salut:

Thought you may have got rid of the ctr by now, I take it by organising this you still have it then.?
By Cat
evilowl wrote: I have spread this out more than previous tours so there will be 2x double rest days for you to do what you want inbetween the driving stints, however as you know it's always difficult to calculate driving time in the mountains as your average speed is very low.
Just looked at your day to day breakdown and this looks good! I originally read the above as 2 rest days rather than 4 so that helps give time to relax even if there are a few days of hard driving inbetween. Plus it gives more time to take in the sights or even get a bit of a tan. :wink:

evilowl wrote:Oh and this will mostly be camping, not only to keep costs down but because there is no fecking way we are organising all that sh-t this time round as it's a pain in the balls. Unless someone wants to do it in which case speak now :)
It might be nice to have a soft comfy bed on a couple of the rest days/nights ...

Not promising I can organise this or anything but I'll have a look at hotels in those areas and see if there are any that wouldn't break the bank.

I've been given the all clear from the OH to go so long as I don't run away with a handsome foreigner :lol: (obviously depends on dates)
By evilowl
Cat wrote:It might be nice to have a soft comfy bed on a couple of the rest days/nights ...
Totally agree but Emma and I did a mini Euro Tour in 2009 and the average price for a hotel has soared since the heady 2004-2007 days of 50 euros a room. We were paying 90- 120 euros per night for B&B in places like Mercure or Campanile which are not exactly posh. Coupled with the crap exchange rate it's a real PITA. 2500 miles worth of fuel is going to be a huge budget hit as well as prices are the same as over here.

I would propose we start this on a Monday, to give all your grim northerners a chance to get to Kent without having to interrupt another day or two of work. We would therefore finish on the Thursday evening, leaves you 2 days to get home and then a recovery day before you go back to work on the Monday.

What sort of dates did people have in mind?
By ClaireD1985
I want to come but I don't think the budget's going to allow :bad-words:

I'm about 25 minutes from Dover and the tunnel. Might be able to speak to the local pub about you having rooms there overnight if you need somewhere. They do pretty good food and they've got a decient car park. They're used to having car nuts in, some of the drift community use it when they had practice days at Lydd.

http://www.roseandcrown-oldromney.co.uk/
Last edited by ClaireD1985 on Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]