The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

All chat/questions relating to this highly memorable driving holiday in here.
seano wrote:They are very sensitive to this kind of thing - I suspect just a large group of similar foreign cars is enough. I got stopped and quizzed on the trip to the Renault factory @ Dieppe last year. OK I talked my way out of it in my best franglaise, but rest assured if I hadn't been in an old scrote in a Renault going to the local Renault factory, I wouldn't have got away with it. I wasn't making any noise, just driving slowly through the Bolougne port area. France is having a huge crack down on road accidents and they have explicitly legislated against this.

Seano
Hmmm ... Norway anyone? :wink:

Really strict speed limits but no police! :twisted:

Booze is too expensive though so scrap that! :lol:
I'd be really interested in a HET, never been on one yet!

If anyone needs help with organising anythin then I can help.

I'm excited already and we are only talking about it :roll:
Hi Mike

Not sure if it could ever really be re-created, times have changed as have the laws and the forum.

I sometimes wonder if a few of us could do something with 10-15 cars and could get away with it.

But it would have to be by invite only - no knobends.

It wouldn't be the same but it would be something. I appreciate that this post seems elitist/snobby but it would have to be that way to work.

Seano
seano wrote:Hi Mike

Not sure if it could ever really be re-created, times have changed as have the laws and the forum.

I sometimes wonder if a few of us could do something with 10-15 cars and could get away with it.

But it would have to be by invite only - no knobends.

It wouldn't be the same but it would be something. I appreciate that this post seems elitist/snobby but it would have to be that way to work.

Seano
I still get itchy feet when I think about the tours we had. but I agree with Seano 30 cars are far too many.
I'm trying to pursuade Sarah to get wed in Italy so I can go for a drive round Europe.

30 cars was a little excessive but splitting up into smaller groups seemed to work quite well.

Maybe something to look into for next year - It's something I'd definately be up for.
mikeg wrote:I'm trying to pursuade Sarah to get wed in Italy so I can go for a drive round Europe.

30 cars was a little excessive but splitting up into smaller groups seemed to work quite well.

Maybe something to look into for next year - It's something I'd definately be up for.

I will let you know how my road trip to Italy for my wedding goes :thumbup: 7 days 7hours and counting :shock:

Still have to write my speech! :lol:

In truth though, even if the next HET is not a full on Tour of Europe, but a trip to a couple of tracks via some scenic routes, I reckon we could get away without attracting too much attention :thumbup:
Superbully wrote:I reckon when the ones that are genuine have all paid up, it's only going to be a group of about 10 to 15 anyway..
Last time Turbo5 organised there were at least 25 cars!
Pretty sure there would be the same again which makes for difficulties if all this stuff about laws etc is true.

Heard a sad tale about one of our 2007 travelmates. Dunno who remembers Dean who was Matt Mansfield's (red FN2) passenger? Anyway he was involved in a car accident, pretty serious from what I can gather, coma, head injuries, looks totally different to how I remember him.

Get well soon Dean! x
I am willing to play a part in the planning stage for a HET. I shall report on the willingness of local customs to turn a blind eye to speed etc..

Although I am thinking if each leg had a definitive end time and all those who fall outside should head on to the next RV.
Cat wrote:
Superbully wrote:I reckon when the ones that are genuine have all paid up, it's only going to be a group of about 10 to 15 anyway..
Last time Turbo5 organised there were at least 25 cars!
Pretty sure there would be the same again which makes for difficulties if all this stuff about laws etc is true.

Heard a sad tale about one of our 2007 travelmates. Dunno who remembers Dean who was Matt Mansfield's (red FN2) passenger? Anyway he was involved in a car accident, pretty serious from what I can gather, coma, head injuries, looks totally different to how I remember him.

Get well soon Dean! x
Was Dean the stocky lad who was in the Navy or Airforce ?
A tour could work, but the groups would be 3 cars maximum. (and if we are honest about previous tours majority of the sub groups were about this size anyhow)I spent 90% of the previous tour with Daren a 2 car convoy, Salem/Sharky and her parents were a two car group for some of the tour.

A good time for a tour is either May or October anything in between is full of camper vans and tourists. I think May would be too short of notice.
Turbo5 wrote:A tour could work, but the groups would be 3 cars maximum. (and if we are honest about previous tours majority of the sub groups were about this size anyhow)I spent 90% of the previous tour with Daren a 2 car convoy, Salem/Sharky and her parents were a two car group for some of the tour.

A good time for a tour is either May or October anything in between is full of camper vans and tourists. I think May would be too short of notice.
Dave has the bug :thumbup:

How about one in 2011?
Turbo5 wrote:A tour could work, but the groups would be 3 cars maximum. (and if we are honest about previous tours majority of the sub groups were about this size anyhow)I spent 90% of the previous tour with Daren a 2 car convoy, Salem/Sharky and her parents were a two car group for some of the tour.

didn't we go June in 2006? That was alright. September should be reasonable traffic wise as well.
We had the May 2005 tour which was organised by Gonzo (Steve an ex moderator on here) After the Nurburgring we went our own way, the group stop in Germany visiting cities etc and I went up to the Ukraine, Slovakia, Poland border. about 12 cars

The year after we had the July 2006 tour through the Alps/Monaco and the Nurburgring on the way back this was about 18 cars

and the last tour we did was the June 2007 through the alps again the stelvio and back through Germany to the Nurburgring.

I did a private Tour in 2008 to Malta but that was one way trip dropping off a brand new Honda S2000 for my brother -in-law.

If I organised another it would most probably be the Pyrenees, ferry to Northern Spain then through the Pyrenees on the French/Spanish border through Andorra for duty free goodies and cheap fuel then along the south of France taking in the Millau suspension bridge Monaco then up the route napoleon then through the Alps before going via Germany to the ring. September/October this year could be possibility for me. I am sure Ross, Craig, Seano Catz and a few of the people who have done the other tours would be interested.
Turbo5 wrote:If I organised another it would most probably be the Pyrenees, ferry to Northern Spain then through the Pyrenees on the French/Spanish border through Andorra for duty free goodies and cheap fuel then along the south of France taking in the Millau suspension bridge Monaco then up the route napoleon then through the Alps before going via Germany to the ring. September/October this year could be possibility for me. I am sure Ross, Craig, Seano Catz and a few of the people who have done the other tours would be interested.
Almost identical route to the one I'm planning.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]