The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

All chat/questions relating to this highly memorable driving holiday in here.
Bigbucks925 wrote:I have an idea you know the way at the back of some of the main stream car magazines there is advertisements for driving holidays across Europe with stops at the ring and the stelvio pass. Well I think maybe it would be a good idea to ask one of the company's for a custom made trip and they would organise it and all we would have to do is go. :-D
Nice idea but most trips I've seen cost well over 1K per person. I can't totally remember the cost for HET 2007 but it was quite affordable for most, sure it was around the £400 mark and a lot of the hotels we stayed in included dinner and breakfast.
salem wrote:I'd be up for having a go at organising a Euro trip if someone who has been before is willing to help out with routes.
I'd be willing to help out. :-D

My concern wasn't as much the route planning, more how you go about reserving hotels for a good price and securing them before you get a deposit from anybody.
I guess Premier Inns here in the UK reserve your room and you just pay on arrival so there must be hotels abroad do the same. It's just a bit of responsibility for an organiser to reserve rooms on their credit card but I guess maybe that's the only way to do it, and ensure full payment is made from attendees well in advance.
Newannaive wrote:campsites. :salut:

CTRO Eurotour 2010

May/June

route including awesome roads like stelvio pass.
day or 2 at the ring.
beer.
food.

sort it out ffs.
Damn you, I now have to sort my car out in time for this Epic Saga of lunacy, oh, also explain to the new wife why I am driving off into Europe so soon after the wedding..
Although a commendable idea economy wise, on the practical side it will make smooth running of the itinery a nightmare.

It's bad enough getting everybody out of their pits in nice hotels, to leave at an appointed time. With camping that problem is going to be at least trebled i think :lol: People suffering from the night before/can't be assed with camping side of things etc trying to pack up camping stuff to a schedule IMHO is asking for problems :lol:

I think the best solution for organisation would be a joint effort, with different people responsible for different parts of the trip. Obviously they will have to communicate well with each other. I think that is more realistic to do than to find someone prepared to organise everything on their own...
Don't mind volunteering for a bit of route planning as i've done one before, so know some good places and what are reasonable Kilometers per day. Prepared to even have a bash at locating some accomodation too if needed...

Mark
Superbully wrote:
Although a commendable idea economy wise, on the practical side it will make smooth running of the itinery a nightmare.

It's bad enough getting everybody out of their pits in nice hotels, to leave at an appointed time. With camping that problem is going to be at least trebled i think :lol: People suffering from the night before/can't be assed with camping side of things etc trying to pack up camping stuff to a schedule IMHO is asking for problems :lol:

I think the best solution for organisation would be a joint effort, with different people responsible for different parts of the trip. Obviously they will have to communicate well with each other. I think that is more realistic to do than to find someone prepared to organise everything on their own...
Don't mind volunteering for a bit of route planning as i've done one before, so know some good places and what are reasonable Kilometers per day. Prepared to even have a bash at locating some accomodation too if needed...

Mark
sounds great...but in my humble opinion, it is alot of work to organise digs for every stop, getting money in advance etc. I'd be quite happy to chuck a tent up of an evening, might even come across a premier inn style place on a few nights etc...Then, all you need is a list of names and a list of campsites or whatever...bring the amont of orgainsing down and some people may be more inclined to help organise.. :-D
looking at 2 easy days to stelvio pass.
a long days driving will get you to nurburgring, so call it 2 days and have a bit of morning at stelvio.
spend a day at the ring
1 day of driving back to dover.

call it a 7 day trip then.

anyone got any sources to find digs/campsites etc..??
Newannaive wrote:looking at 2 easy days to stelvio pass.
a long days driving will get you to nurburgring, so call it 2 days and have a bit of morning at stelvio.
spend a day at the ring

Speak to Owly as he seems well in the know
Nick wrote:
spend a day at the ring

he's gone awol dude.. :sad:
Newannaive wrote:
Nick wrote:
spend a day at the ring

he's gone awol dude.. :sad:
Nah he hasn't - pm karl as he can reach him - iirc, karl was seeing him this week :thumbup:
Harv wrote:could well be up for this and can help with routes etc. stelvio pass is busy, far better roads imo
the road on the way to stelvio looks a bit of a stormer as well....on google maps :oops:

jot some ideas down then.. :salut:
Harv wrote:could well be up for this and can help with routes etc. stelvio pass is busy, far better roads imo
That's what I was thinking.

What sort of route do you reckon then Harv?
And, what mileage per day? This is the tricky part I reckon because although it may be 200 miles and you think "easy, can do that in a few hours" in reality it can take a lot longer due to the nature of some of the roads.
Mark83 wrote:
Newannaive wrote:have to have a butchers at dunkirk on the way home as well.
I normally travel Dover-Dunkirk. Longer crossing (2hrs) but it's cheap and you can have a nap/food.
first leg organised by mark. thanks mark.

CTRO HET 2010

Dover > Dunkirk > ?

:-D
Cat wrote:

And, what mileage per day? This is the tricky part I reckon because although it may be 200 miles and you think "easy, can do that in a few hours" in reality it can take a lot longer due to the nature of some of the roads.
It comes down to where you are, 200 miles on a motorway is alot less than 200 miles in the Alps! You can get to the ring in a few hours from dover so id suggest going there first, then shoot down to the alps after that the next day.

id have to look through my maps for routes in the alps/south france etc.
Harv wrote:
Cat wrote:

It comes down to where you are, 200 miles on a motorway is alot less than 200 miles in the Alps! You can get to the ring in a few hours from dover so id suggest going there first, then shoot down to the alps after that the next day.

id have to look through my maps for routes in the alps/south france etc.
cool, do it. :salut:
Newannaive wrote:
Mark83 wrote:
Newannaive wrote:have to have a butchers at dunkirk on the way home as well.
I normally travel Dover-Dunkirk. Longer crossing (2hrs) but it's cheap and you can have a nap/food.
first leg organised by mark. thanks mark.

CTRO HET 2010

Dover > Dunkirk > ?

:-D
Dunkirk>Spa>Nurburg

The Nurburgring 24hr race is 13th-16th May if you weren't aware. A provisional touristfahrten calender will be released next month.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]