The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By colthillary
Well hello all. Just fitted an MKI9200 in my 2009 Type R GT.

After lots of hunting around I couldnt find a complete guide, so to help any of you out there that fancy a stab wrap your eyes around my guide lol.

I will at this point state that:- This is a guide only and I describe the method in which I installed my Parrot kit. I take no responsibility for any damage to either your car or yourself / others etc should you follow this guide. You do so at your own risk!!! Read on only if you accept this disclaimer!

First off your going to have to remove the centre trim. Starting from the drivers footwell remove the top popper. This requires a sharp pull. Put popper to one side.

Now remove the blanking covers seen in this picture. You will need to push your seat fully to the rear.

push the seat forward to allow access to the remaining cover to the rear. As you can see you can either use an 8mm socket or a standard posi screwdriver. I used a socket as to not damage the screw but its up to you. Remove all three screws exposed by the now removed blanking covers.

Now from the passengers side, look towards the top of the plastic centre trim in the passengers footwell. here you will find two poppers which are already exposed without blanking covers. Same as before sharp tug will take care of these. Put them to one side when finished along with all your removed screws and blanking covers.

Now same as before remove the blanking covers from the front and the one on the rear. Then remove the screws holding the console in place.

Now you will find you have removed all screws etc that were holding the armrest console in place. Front the joint between the armrest and the gear stick console, give a sharp tug upwards. this will detach the front end of the armrest console. Remove the lead connectingpower the the ciggy lighter as shown here.

Now jump back in the back and pull the armrest upwards. If you have an 09 type r like myself, or indeed a car with usb etc you need to raise and disconnect the looms. Disconnect the who leads you see below.

All leads have now been removed so you can completely remoe the centre surround. I did this from the back so push the drivers seat forward. Leaving the hand brake raised, lift the console from the back and feed past the handbrake, you will need to use a slight angle to accomplish this. Once removed put somewhere safe and out of the way.

Now remove the trim around the gear stick. To do this prise up from the back. I used a credit card to give a slight gap enough for me to lift. This will then unclip as seen below. Now some would say remove the gear knob itself. I however did not. You can with a bit of findling work this through the console later on. Reason I did not do this is simple. It was put on by the hulk and wouldnt budge. !

Now from the drivers side we need to remove the side fascia. From the top corner put a credit card or somthing slim and plastic behind it. You could use a flat screwdriver but you will risk damaging the plastic. It should give enough to allow you to get your fingers behind it.

now prise from the front back.

Put the cover to one side once removed. Now remove the one retaining screw shown in the picture.

Remove the plastic surround from the drivers footwell. I worked from the bottom up. Sharp tugs will remove the clips no problem. Take note to there locations as seen below. This will allow you to prise in the right locations.

If you have footwell lighting (factory fitted) you will need to disconnect the light from its loom. You will also need to pull the cable retaining clip of of the trim.

Now remove the remaining piece of centre console trim. Give a sharp tug from either side to remove the retaining clips from beneath the radio.

As previously mentioned I left the gear stick trim in place and fed through the surrond. You can remove the gear nob if you prefer.

Now remove the bolts show here. They are located on the underside of the stereo unit.

Now remove the top dashboard trim above the stereo. from the front prise upwards with a credit card etc. Take care as to not damage the trim. This is quite stiff and will take a bit of effort to remove. Just take your time and take each clip at a time.

Once removed. you will see three screws on the front edge holding the stereo in place. Remove these and put to one side.

Now remove the stereo. This requires a bit of force as the stereo is held in place by retaining clips. Take your time and work the stereo forward.

Now here you can see the stereo removed in all its glory. I Left in this position to complete the install. No reason to completely disconnect.

Now disconnect the radio loom. This is the longest grey connector shown in the above photo.

Using your SOT-908 Lead connect the removed loom to the appropiate sot lead socket. Then plug the SOT lead into the back of the stereo. Connect all the releavant leads into the sot lead. It would be harder to explain than do. Just ensre the wiring corresponds on the sot lead to the factory loom. Very strightforward. You do have a pink mute wire coming from the sot lead. Connect this to the orange parrot mute lead. I just prised this under the plastic sheat and wrapped in insulation tape. You could use a spare socket if you wish.

Run the parrot mike cable from the rear of stereo (approx) down and to the back of the passenger footwell. Took the cable behind the rear of the carpet.

The cable wil tuck behind the dash easily, so work it all the way up as seen in the picture.

Tuck the cable behind the door seal and work up to the top of the passenger piller. Once at the top tuck behind the leading edge (this may interfere with the airbag. Do this it at your own risk). You will then be able to tuck the cable under the roof lining and work the cable to the middle of the car. Once there using the supplied cli attach the mike to the roof lining.

My stereo in the standard factory fint stereo. As such I did not require the amplified connections on the parrot kit. ut these leaving about a foot should you need them down the line for another car etc. Once cut use insulation tape to cover the ends.

On the removed gear trim (one with the flap!) You need to drill a hole suitably big enogugh for the parrot media loom to pass through. Once drilled feed the cable through and using the supplied grommet hold in place in your freshly drilled hole!

Now connect the mike and all remaining looms to the parrot blue box. I located mind in the recess towards the botom of the stereo. Run the parrot screen lead upwards and over where the top fasica is located. I ran the cable to the right so as to not be infront of the heaters.

Tidy the looms with some insulation tape and push the stereo back into position. Be carefull not to force as you may accidently damage a loom!

Once the stereo is pushed back in place. Screw the top three screws back in place. With the parrot screen attached put the top trim back in place. Ensure you have enough slack on the loom to located the screen where you want it. Push all the clips in place. Stick the parrot screen into postion.

Now you just need to follow the guide in reverse to put all the panels bacck as you found them. Dont forget to bolt the stereo back in from underneath!. Once completed you will have a shiney parrot kit all installed! Good Job!

By Arran
Great post mate! :salut:

I think this needs to me moved to the "How To" section :?:

I have exactly the same kit fitted in exactly the same place.
By Nadeem
Excellent guide. Did u fit the parrot steering adaptor and does it allow voicedial on iPhone 3G/3Gs? Thinkin of parrot or new headunit myself. What is sound quality like for music?
By Arran
Nadeem wrote:Excellent guide. Did u fit the parrot steering adaptor and does it allow voicedial on iPhone 3G/3Gs? Thinkin of parrot or new headunit myself. What is sound quality like for music?
I find the sound quality fine, it has equaliser settings on the unit so you can adjust the levels should you wish.
By colthillary
Works spot on with the 3gs. Theres a new update out for it off the parrot website, just download the updater tool and follow the instructions.

Sound quality is superb, adds a fair bit of bass compared the the head unit in the civic. Installed some Kenwood KFC-S702P speakers today. Was going to do a guide but it was friggin freeeeezin!

Was going to go a bit more in depth on the parrot loom side but would of been hard to show on a photo. Besides its quite straight forward. If anyone is thinking about doing this, go for it. Its a doddle. Took me about an hour n half and that's with taking photos lol.

Oh and thanks for the kind words guys. I dare say my guide will come in very handy for many over the coming years lol.
By Arran
A admin or mod should hopefully move this thread to the "how to" section :thumbup:
By grim66
how easy was it to do the speakers?? what size speakers and where abouts in the car, does it add much difference considering the head unit is still standard? so for so many questions!
By colthillary
To be honest it wasnt difficult. I tend to buy a new car every 2 years and always end up replacing all the speakers and fitting a sub in the end lol.

Size of the speakers I used were Size 158 x 158 x 70 mm and they fit fine. Windows close and the door card is flush. (front speakers)

Sound is greatly improved even more so via the parrot which adds a hell of alot more bass.

Used the halfords autoleads speaker mounts for an astra.

To do just remove the two screws from behind the door release handle (behind the blanking plastic) and the one screw from the door handle. its in the recess where you put your hand to close the door (underneath the rubber mat).

Remove the tweeter surround. Just undo the window and grab the top corner. Give a sharp tug and it will remove.

Give a good couple of tugs on the door handle (not leaver) and the poppers will give. Then just work your way along the bottom to release the remaining door poppers. Once released push the door card upwards and it will release. I never disconnected any looms, I just rotated the door card out of the way. put a coat or mat down for the door card to sit on (dont want to scratch it!).

The factory speaker is held in by one bolt at the top and two clips at the bottom. I just yanked them nasty things out!

unclip the factory loom connector on the back of the speaker. now you can splice into the existing cable, use spade connectors or just snip and solder your new speaker wires on to the existing loom.

mount your new speakers into the astra ring mounts using the screws supplied in the kit,

Offer up to the door and mark the three holes on the door frame. Drill using a 4mm drill bit.

I then put my dynamat into the door frame (behind where the speaker will be) you will need to heat this up first to make it plyable and more adhesive.

Connect your speaker wiring to the crossover, woofer and tweeter as per your speakers instructions (cant be bothered going into that much detail today).

I used velcro on the reverse of the door to hold the crossover in place.

Screw the mounted speaker to the door using the screws supplied in the astra kit.

Refit the door card. Tweeter needs to be passed through and over the door card for now.

Refitting the door card is simple. from the side closes the tweeter put the seal back into the window resess and work your way back. All going well it will slide straight in. you will know if its straight as your poppers will be aligned. Screw the card back in place and put the blanking covers back on. Now mount the tweeter in the panel that you have removed (prise out the old one). I put a bit of sponge on the reverse of the tweeter to stop any rattles.

Push the tweeter housing back in place

Job Done
By grim66
thank you very much!! im no novice at speakers as ive done two cars previous to this, a 95 civic and a 96 celica, im more afraid of damaging this one than those two!!
By Toon9
colthillary - quick question, where did you "mount" the parrot control unit mate?
Did you fit it on the steerign wheel - how does that work?

Cheers - great post BTW !
By schmitton89
Hi new here.
before starting up a new topic, this is the closest topic i have found to answering what i need.
Would I need to do all the previous steps if i just wanted to fit an ipod/aux lead into my 2007 type r?
I want a cheaper alternative to the parrot and bluetooth for hands free is of no interest to me. Music is all that really matters :)

thanks in advanced :smile:
By Sedge
Yes, this will help you get to the back of the stereo. You just need to decide where the cable comes into the cabin. Popular choices are the glove box & space under the radio.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]