The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By illeagalhunter
Found this on another site
This guide shows you how to replace the rear speakers on a 3 door Civic (ie Type R). The existing speakers are lightweight poor quality woofers. The new speakers are coaxial – ie with built in tweeters.

Thanks to Pottsy for the excellent Front Speaker replacement guide. I am assuming you have already done this as the sequence for the rears is similar.
Thanks to G4il1 for showing how to remove the rear speaker panels easily – Photos repeated here.

Parts Needed:
1 A Pair of quality 6.5” coaxial Speakers – I used Infinity Kappa 62.7i, simply because I found a good deal on ebay (about a third of the retail price!!). They need to be coaxial for the best improvement as there are no separate tweeters in the rear.
2 Two Speaker rings similar to those used for the front doors in Pottsy’s guide. Alternatively make them out of 19mm MDF sheet like I did. (An off cut of MDF cost £2 and this would have been enough to make numerous speaker rings). The MDF needs to be sealed to make it moisture proof - I used wood exterior primer.
3 4 sq ft of Dynamat Extreme soundproofing sheet – optional but recommended.
4 Check you have enough screws, clips and tape etc.

Sequence:
1 Remove the red armrest cover as shown in photo. Bend in the red part above the black to help release the clips. It needs a fair bit of levering and fiddling so you need to be very careful not to damage the trim
2 Remove the @ six screws holding on the panel above the armrest
3 Remove the panel above the armrest – this comes off easily.
4 Remove old rear speaker. There is 1 screw at the top, then a bit of a push breaks the bond with the door panel. Watch for the 2 locating clips at the bottom of the speaker.
5 Fix the new speaker ring to the door. I used 4 self tapping screws with panel clips behind the doors. The screws and clips came with the speakers. The steel panel needs to be drilled first.
6 Connect the speaker wires to the crossover. The colour coding in the wiki is repeated here as it is still correct for the Type R.
Rear Left + Yellow
Rear Left – Brown
Rear Right +Blue
Rear Right - Orange
7 Wire the crossover to the speaker as per speaker supplier’s instructions. I use duct tape to secure loose cables to panels – this avoids them being the source of an annoying rattle.
8 The Crossover is stuck behind the steel panel with double sided foam tape
9 Apply Dynamat Extreme sound proofing on both sides of the panel the speaker is mounted on + some on the outer body panel (see photos). I used @ 4 sq ft in total, which cost £20.
10 Mount the speaker on the speaker ring. I used 4 small screws per speaker in pre drilled holes. These screws came with the speakers.
11 Put the panels back.
12 Go and enjoy a nice cup of tea.

Photos in sequence below
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]