The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By HarpsCTR
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello!!!

First post in FN2 section :WOOT

I've been busy installing a set of Alpine component speakers in my CTR. :thumbup:

Fairly easy, took 3hrs to do both doors...

Purchased speakers from;

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/prod...?product=22579

Speaker adaptors (from Halfords £12.99 same as these ones);

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/vaux...ors-p-498.html

Speaker adaptor leads (no need to cut original wiring)

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Speaker_adaptors/honda.htm PC2-818

Tweeter;
To remove open window and carfully prise off...

Once old tweeter is removed, cut away some plastic to make to hole big enough to fit the new tweeter unit. Once in it simply screws on with the plastic ring on the back. The tweeter can be angled in any direction

Woofer and crossover;
To remove doorcard remove blanking plate behind the inside door handle and the two screws, and remove one screw from the armrest (under door handle)
Doorcard simply clips off

Feed wire from tweeter through door frame to the crossover,

Use speaker adaptor to connect crossover to original honda speaker adaptor,
And use the wires supplied in the astra adaptor kit (break off
the astra adaptor "plastic bit") to connect the woofer to the crossover.

I used heavy duty velcro to stick the crossover unit inside the door...

I have ordered Dynamat Extreme speaker insulation to reduce rattle and interference...

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/pro...s_id/3051.html

Will install once delivered

Yes you do need to drill holes into the door to accomodate the astra adaptors

Finally screw eveything together and put insulating tape on all exposed connections,

Put the door back together and enjoy :WOOT

(I was told by the guy from car audio centre to run in the speaker He said half volume max for the first 40 hrs else the speakers will get damaged) :???:
By sitta
im a newbie at speaker systems... this component system have their own small amplifiers right? if you only install the front speaker and tweeter what about the rear speaker? will that still affect the sound quality?

does component speaker have much more bass than the normal one ?
By JohnnoTypeR
hey good pictures helpfull. does the speakers make a clear notice in sound over the stock honda speakers?
By HarpsCTR
JohnnoTypeR wrote:hey good pictures helpfull. does the speakers make a clear notice in sound over the stock honda speakers?
Cheers mate,

The Alpine speakers sound much better than the stock speakers especially at high volume. The stock speakers are poor at high volume (ie 20 upwards) they blow and loose clarity.
By JohnnoTypeR
think i go for the same route as you took. yeah your right over 20 sounds okish but when you go to 30 sounds like there bout to blow. any faults/ideas about the backs yet? cheers.
By viper8
Hi,

are the speakers 6.5" 17cm in size?
Do you know what is the maxiumum depth for the speaker? Want to make sure the window doesn't hit the speaker magnet on it's way down.

cheers.
By sitta
how thick is the spacing created by the astra adapter? and have you installed the dynamat yet? is it hard to install behind the power window motor, etc?
By MrThanh
viper8 wrote:Do you know what is the maxiumum depth for the speaker? Want to make sure the window doesn't hit the speaker magnet on it's way down.
i'd like to know too before trying to fit my old Focal 165 V2
By HarpsCTR
viper8 wrote:Hi,

are the speakers 6.5" 17cm in size?
Do you know what is the maxiumum depth for the speaker? Want to make sure the window doesn't hit the speaker magnet on it's way down.

cheers.
sitta wrote:how thick is the spacing created by the astra adapter? and have you installed the dynamat yet? is it hard to install behind the power window motor, etc?
MrThanh wrote:
viper8 wrote:Do you know what is the maxiumum depth for the speaker? Want to make sure the window doesn't hit the speaker magnet on it's way down.

i'd like to know too before trying to fit my old Focal 165 V2
Hello,
sorry about the late replies!
Im not sure on the maximum depth for the speaker. The Alpine speakers are one of the largest at 59mm in depth. They are 6.5"/17mm speakers and don't get in the way of anything.
I have installed dynamat to both the front and rear. It is very easy to install, again there is nothing in the way. The speaker rings are about 1" thick, without them the Alpine speaker doesn't fit as it hits the door shell.
Hope this helps
Harps
By juz1
are these comps alpine spr 17s by any chance? ive just got some for my ep3 and im wondering how do they sound? im getting mixwd comments and im getting abit uneasy and dont know weather to send them back.
By juz1
HarpsCTR wrote:Hello,

yep i think they are! they sound good once they have bed it, takes a good 40-50 hours of use though!

I've got the honda bassworks in the back which helps out with the bass.

hth

harps
got mine fitted last week and they sound awesome with my pioneer deh p700bt. I tell you what though, ive had to contact alpine about a part on my tweeters that broke. spoke to someone in parts and they have sent out a replacement foc straight away. thats customer service for you no questions asked, highly recomended :thumbup:
By askian121
Does anyone know if it is possible JUST to replace the tweeters and not bother with the speakers in the door card? also will they even make a difference if I just replace them??

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]