The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Mylee
It's hard to explain really, I might try and get a picture taken and up in the next few days, after all it's worth a thousand words :lol:

The 8K's must be really blue, I thought the 6's were and on the box it says they do up to 14!!!!!!!!
By LeeH
The 8k look fatastic but I just want to try the 6ks and see if there is much more light output.
By Mylee
I take it's just a matter of a bulb change? i.e different rated bulbs = the different colours available?
What sort of money are the bulbs?
By LeeH
I found some on e bay for £40. They look identical to the ones in the Tecone kit but I will confirm it when they are in and running.

You can but all the range 4 to 12k or something but its only the 6k that this particular seller had.
By Gizmo-R
Whats the deal with adding a diode on the H4 Bi-xenon kits :?:
By Baa
Thanks for posting the guide, I found it very useful :D
By karl_tate
i am looking at getting a kit for my facelift.

i dont quite understand what you mean about bending the pins??

also im not sure what colour to go for, 6 or 8k, i know its down to personal opinion but all the pics you guys have posted look different :?

so could you post some pics up from inside the car please :D

cheers

karl
By LeeH
Hi Karl, you need to go for the 6k TBH. I changed to 6 and found a noticeable difference. The 8k's look better but you sacrifice light output to an extent that you do not gain over the OE lamps.

Some foke have bent the metal holding in springs in to make them fit the smaller HID lamps. I didn't like the fit so I modded the bulb holder......your choice.

Regards

Lee
By karl_tate
thats another thing i was going to ask as well which i forgot. so you dont think that they are any better than the standard bulbs??

do you have any pics of 8k vs standard or 8k vs 6k from inside the car??

ah right i see what you mean now, the bulb holder spring, so it just needs bending to make them hold?? that doesnt sound very good to me TBH and doing a proper job is always best.

thanks

karl
By LeeH
The 8ks do not produce much if any more light output then your OEM light's with a good lamp in. For example Osram Silver Stars.

The 6k option will produce a LOT more light. So much in-fact once you have had HID's you will never go back IMO.

I have had all 4 of the above options and IMO 6k's are the way forward.

Lee
By karl_tate
ok lee thanks alot mate, that has made my decision up, i have been confused for which ones to go for, for a long time :lol:

cheers

karl
By limited edition
i realised the hardest part is drilling the hole in the bulb holder...and if you go wrong thats it!! i am waiting for my HID kit to turn up and in the meantime going through my mind how to install it the best way...pre planning.

i think on the holder i will place sticky tape around the plastic to stop it from breaking off if drilled too hard...but is the fit perfect? ie will a layer of tape stop the holder going into the head unit?

i will use super glue instead of hot glue as its easy to purchase.

anyone got tips in how to make the hole in the holder without damaging it in a major way? minimise risk acessement lol

thanks
By LeeH
limited edition wrote:i realised the hardest part is drilling the hole in the bulb holder...and if you go wrong thats it!! i am waiting for my HID kit to turn up and in the meantime going through my mind how to install it the best way...pre planning.

i think on the holder i will place sticky tape around the plastic to stop it from breaking off if drilled too hard...but is the fit perfect? ie will a layer of tape stop the holder going into the head unit?

anyone got tips in how to make the hole in the holder without damaging it in a major way? minimise risk acessement lol

thanks
Only way is to drill with a Dremmel type tool like in the how to irc mate. If you drill it out it will snag like crazy.

One way you could try is to use a large diameter drill bit and do it slow by had. (put a glove on) And then use a Rats tail file to do the rest.
By limited edition
LeeH wrote:
limited edition wrote:i realised the hardest part is drilling the hole in the bulb holder...and if you go wrong thats it!! i am waiting for my HID kit to turn up and in the meantime going through my mind how to install it the best way...pre planning.

thanks
Only way is to drill with a Dremmel type tool like in the how to irc mate. If you drill it out it will snag like crazy.

One way you could try is to use a large diameter drill bit and do it slow by had. (put a glove on) And then use a Rats tail file to do the rest.
FACK! not looking forward to it...its going to go all wrong in the first 5 mins
By Baa
limited edition wrote:
LeeH wrote:

thanks

lol, it's easy to do have faith.

I would recommend the dremal approach using a tile cutter bit to grind out the plastic.

The top of the plug is filled with glue to hold the metal pins in place, this will just pick out. The metal pins will pull out if you use a pair of long nosed pliers. all that's left to do is cut the plastic out with the dremal.
By LeeH
limited edition wrote:

:lol: Relax, it's easy.
By limited edition
LeeH wrote:
limited edition wrote:

:lol: Relax, it's easy.
i still say FACK!! lol

going order the spare parts tomorrow from honda..(£20?) and then when i get them (two flippin plastics!) i will study it lol then go in..no return...might consider melting the bits inside with a jet lighter lol...dunno..

dont have a dremmer tool thingy... :?
By limited edition
Mylee wrote:Cheers Lee, I'll have a look. I've also noticed what looked like a projected shadow on the road, from the car outwards about 10 feet. Again this maybe 'cos the lamps are so bright that I never noticed it before with the halogens.

Are you anywhere near MOT time yet?
i just fitted my pro hid kit in..i also got this shadow!? is that normal?? (look on page 1 at the photos...the shadow is there too) :?
By LeeH
limited edition wrote: i just fitted my pro hid kit in..i also got this shadow!? is that normal?? (look on page 1 at the photos...the shadow is there too) :?
2 things I can suggest.

1. The lamp is not sat true in the holder. So, try swapping them around. Then swap your ballast and see if you can transfer the shadow to the other side. This will rule out the head light itself.

2. My shadow disappeared when I changed from 8 to 6k lamps from a different supplier. So I think I had a faulty lamp.

Have a play and see how you get on.
By craigallison2001
Hiya,

Sorry been reading everything I can find on these yesterday and tonight too.

If I get a H1 kit from someone then does this mean that my face lift (55 Premier) will only have the HID on the dipped beam and not full beam too? is there a kit that makes both beams HID?

sorry if it's a dumb question but I want both on HID I think! :? :oops:

Cheers,

Craig
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]