The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By speedy36
Sorry mate but i think the pre face lift bulb holders are different to facelift so although your how to is excellent it doesn't show the mods we have to make to the holder on ours.

well done any how.

any more pics and takers
:thumbup:
By MattyMcRae
speedy36 wrote:Sorry mate but i think the pre face lift bulb holders are different to facelift so although your how to is excellent it doesn't show the mods we have to make to the holder on ours.

well done any how.

any more pics and takers
:thumbup:
its doing it with hids on dipped so they just plug right in and the wire clips holding the gulbs in on the facelift lights just need slightly bending to support the bulb
By yai46
For fitting H1 HID lamps to facelift headlingts, Just buy these adaptors. No messing about and a perfect fit!! :thumbup:

i have got to go now mate speak to you agin soon!

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/store/product.p ... =49&page=1

Rob
Last edited by yai46 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By devil84
ganda wrote:Gotta say the bulb adaptors are worth it, I got mine for £10 with my HIDs from Hidsdirect. Makes fitment alot easier, no need to remove headlights etc.
Did you get the HIDS from HIDsdirect also? what are they like?

TBH first time i heard of HIDSdirect but prices appears reasonable against HIDS4U.

What does everyone else think?
By ganda
Yeh I got their 50W kit and adaptors for £90 delivered. Had a Ballast go on me within a week of fitting, just rang them up and sent it back, they then sent me a new one. Still need to refit it.

I originally bought a 35w kit from hong kong for £33 and bodged the original bulb adaptors, but I don't think their as bright in the projector lenses as they are in the reflector style lenses. So I bought a 50w kit and they are brighter, I've currently got a 35w ballast and bulb on one side and a 50w ballast and bulb on the other and you can visibly see the difference between them. I got the bulb holders as I wasn't happy with how the originals held the hid bulb.
By devil84
LeeH wrote:Face lift CTR HID H1 Conversion.

Due to the H1 lamps in the facelift model but H4 retaining spring on the back of the projectors, fitting is not a straight forward plug and play. So please read on.

What is required?

1. Conversion kit available from http://www.hids4u.co.uk/
The guy is called Ian was the best by far of a few companies I contacted. As it worked out he has sold some kits through Mr Bilko via a group buy.

2. A dremmel type tool.
I bought one from ebay for £20

3. Hotmelt glue gun.
Again around £20.

4. Basic hand tools – Small flat head screwdriver and pliers.

5. Stick Velcro pads.

6. Spare set of H1 –H4 plastic adapters from Honda as there is no going back. £20

STEP 1 - Lamp Removal.
Take out old lamp and adapters keeping the old lamps safe in the car with the new adapters for back ups. Do not touch the glass.

STEP 2 - Adapter Mod.
Using a very small screwdriver GENTLY prise the resin and lugs away on the pins on the back of the adapter and pull out.

This is a little tricky but they do come.

STEP 3 - The Tricky Bit.
Using the Dremmel type tool use the thin cutting blade and file out the remaining plastic in the adapter. Mind those fingers!!

STEP 4 - The Vital Bit.
Cut off the rubber grommet and feed in the HID lamp in place.
At this point I will point out the orientation of the lamp is VITAL. Please note is slightly turned to the left.

***Without the correct orientation you will find it difficult to fit into the projector later.***

***** the position of the lamp is INCORRECT in this picture and should be the same angle but turned to THE LEFT*****

STEP 4 - Glue Time.

Hotmelt glue in place without gluing up the lamp. Do this but putting a blob of glue under the lip of the lamp and pressing back down FLAT.

Also glue the rear to stop any other movement.

STEP 5 - The Easy Bit.
Mount the ballast in the engine bay. The only place I could see to put them was near the front shockers.

I secured mine with self adhesive Velcro. WHY? Because I wasn’t sure about drilling through there. I will consult my best bud when I see him next, he’s a mechanic.

This will also allow quick removal if you are like me and clean your engine bay down as the ballasts in this lower are not 100% water proof. Ian does sell a better kit but at a price.

STEP 6 - Fitting Lamps
With the thin brown tube on the lamp facing up GENTLY fit and retain the clip. The one behind the washer bottle is a right slag to do but not impossible.

STEP 7 – Wiring Loom.
Plug in all the wiring. This is as simple as it sounds.

Make sure you get the polarity correct. The red wire on the Honda loom is +ve.

STEP 8 – The Best Bit.
Turn on your new lights and show off to all your mates.

****The colour of the HID lamp here is no way near to what it is in the flesh. This is way bluer*****

I chose the 8K lamps for a Bluer look. IMO I made the right choice they look the nuts with out sacrificing too much light output.

Any questions please post them here to help others.

Cheers

Lee

What step can i miss out because now I have the type r bulb holder for £19.99?
By Stevo07
Am I missing something? My two mates each have a facelift EP3. Got HIDs from ebay, straight swap with original bulb.

Edit: I asked and it turns out they bent some metal thing slightly
By speedy36
Is that the metal bent wire that holds the bulb holder in place????

:bad-words: :bad-words: still not got mine done :oops: :oops: think i should give it up........maybe one more try tomorrow if not to hung over!!!!!! :wink:
By Fire_2
BlackR and me ended up removing my front bumber and front lights

but now there all fitted with super neat wiring and hot glue gun'd in place

I found it easyer to fit the bulb holder to the lights first, then glue HID bulb in.
By speedy36
I've been on with this for ages as some one sold me the wrong holders so looking at fettling some other way. can't take bumper off as had to bastardise my mugen grill :oops:

:salut:
By devil84
speedy36 wrote:I've been on with this for ages as some one sold me the wrong holders so looking at fettling some other way. can't take bumper off as had to bastardise my mugen grill :oops:

:salut:
Speedy lol, are you still trying to install the HIDs?

why not get another set of holders? and have some HIDs lights on your EP3 asap :thumbup: and be done with this stress :thumbup:
By speedy36
if some one can tell me where to get the right holders from then i will.
i have rung hids4u and they told me they do them except for the ones on their site which they said wouldn't fit :scratch:

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]