The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Lewisgame
Ok so first of all here's the programming procedure.

1) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).
2) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on one of the transmitters. (A non-programmed transmitter can be used for this step.)
3) Turn the ignition switch OFF (0).
4) Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 two more times with the transmitter used in step 2.
5) Turn the ignition switch ON (ll).
6) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on the same transmitter. Check that the power door locks cycle to confirm that you are in the programming mode.
7) Press the “LOCK” or “UNLOCK” button on each transmitter. (You can program up to four transmitters per vehicle.) Check that the power door locks cycle after you push each transmitter button, confirming that the system has accepted the transmitters code.

Now some of you may of experience an issue as I have. After leaving the car for a long period and the battery goes flat, the car loses the key fob memory. You attempt the programming procedure, it goes into it but then doesn't work afterwards.
Here's a cure!
For some reason the keyless entry module plays up. There is probably a way to recover this through Honda and their diagnostic equipment but things get pricey then.
I sourced a second hand one, which apparently is from a Mazda 6 from eBay for only £15 (new from Honda is around £300) Remove the old one which is behind the stereo towards the right (you can get to it with a struggle without removing the stereo unit) fit the new. Carry out the programming procedure. Job done!
Here's a comparison of the parts. There is a slight difference in some part numbers and where they were built. There's plenty more from other Honda vehicles available on eBay but I don't know if they'll work.
The one connected and made in Japan is the 'Mazda' one. The other is the original.
Last edited by Lewisgame on Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]