The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Lewisgame
This is for the EP3. As many will know there are times where the idle hunts. I've copied this direct from the Honda Manual.

The idle learn procedure must be done so the ECM can learn the engine idle characteristics.

Do the idle learn procedure whenever you do any of these actions:
Disconnect battery (will include flat battery)
.Replace the ECM or disconnect its connector.
Reset the ECM.
Remove #6 ECM 15amp fuse from under-hood fuse/relay box.
Remove #19 battery 80amp fuse from under-hood fuse/relay box.
Remove PGM-FI main relay 1.
Remove any wires from under-hood fuse/relay box.
Disconnect any of the connectors from the under-hood fuse/relay box.
Disconnect the connector between the engine compartment wire harness and ECM wire harness.
Disconnect the G2 terminal from the transmission housing.
Disconnect the G1 terminal from the body.
Disconnect the G101 terminal from the cylinder head cover.

Procedure:
To compete the procedure, do this.

1. Make sure all electrical items (A/C, Audio, Rear Defogger, Lights, etc.,) are off.
2. Start the engine, and hold it at 3,000rpm with no load (in neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, or until the engine coolant temperature reaches 194°F (90°C)
3. Let the engine idle for about 5 minuets with the throttle fully closed

NOTE: If the radiator fan comes on, do not include its running time in the 5 minuets.
By Norv
When I've done this the EPS light has come on and then gone again after an ignition cycle. Assuming this is a confirmation of the teaching in procedure. Worth noting though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
By 15repyt
Norv wrote:When I've done this the EPS light has come on and then gone again after an ignition cycle. Assuming this is a confirmation of the teaching in procedure. Worth noting though.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
The eps light does that if the steering hasn't been moved for over 5 mins.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]