The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Lewisgame
Thought I'd post up a step by step guide as I've had a few enquiries about changing it. No pictures I'm afraid but feel free to add your own when you change it.
Make sure the engine is cool as you'll be working close to the exhaust manifold.
This process is far easier with a rack raiser bracket fitted. Don't rush and take your time. Some may find it easier to completely remove the steering rack. Only attempt if you're confident on the tools. Any doubt get a professional to replace it. Incorrectly fitted parts to the steering rack could result in serious injury/death!

1. Remove air box or whatever induction kit that might be in the way. Raise the front of the car up so both front wheels are off the ground. Wheel chocks, axles stands ect ect.

2. Turn the steering wheel clockwise all the way. The steering arms should be at the gearbox end.

3. (With rack raiser bracket fitted) With a deep 17mm socket and decent length ratchet, bit of muscle you should be able to get to the 2 bolts that hold the rack raiser to the rack. Undo the 2 bolts and pull the rack arms forward towards the exhaust manifold.

3. (Without rack raiser bracket fitted) Use a hammer and chisel/punch to try and pry the locking washers back so they're flat. The chassis tie bar by the rack will need to be removed (front wheels may need removing to access bolts). Then with a 30mm (edit: I think it's 29mm but may vary if different rods have been fitted) spanner undo the tie rod arms. It's pretty tricky and tight but possible. When they're both off there'll be 2 17mm bolts holding the rack bracket on. Undo both of them and remove bracket.

4. Now turn the steering back to the centre. Then with a small screw driver, remove the clip for the boot at the gearbox end. If you're careful you can save the clip but you'll need special pliers to refit. Alternatively you can use a cable tie instead when refitting.

5. Push the boot off the gearbox end slightly. Then where the rack slider is, you'll need to pull the boot out towards the engine using a screw driver or a right angled pick helps.

6. Turn the steering wheel clockwise until lock and then turn back slightly. The rack boot should stay in the middle and the slider should be at the gearbox end of the rack.

7. Push the boot as far as you can to the left, you then should be able to get your fingers in and feed out the rack slider.

8. Grease up the new rack slider and fit into the rack.

Do the reverse of the steps and you're all done! Wheel alignment is recommended after.
Last edited by Lewisgame on Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Lewisgame
chrisdubya wrote:Bit of a bump, but will doing this alter my geo setup?

Cheers
It shouldn't really as replacing the slider stops up and down movement of the arms not side to side. But I'd recommended to check the front toe settings after.
By mc36155
chrisdubya wrote:Cheers bud. Don't suppose you have part numbers?
53605S5A003 slider £21.36

53611S5TE32 housing comp slider £199.33

i would think you only want the slider
By 15repyt
mc36155 wrote:
chrisdubya wrote:Cheers bud. Don't suppose you have part numbers?
53605S5A003 slider £21.36

53611S5TE32 housing comp slider £199.33

i would think you only want the slider
Hi mate.

Are those Honda part numbers? Because I went to my local Honda and they said they could only supply me with the rack. The part number for the slider he said he can't find. :scratch:
By mc36155
Probably trying to pull a fast one or doesn't know what he's doing.. You can buy them seperatley. Tell him he's an idiot and sort his life out
By Bankzi
Refitting my rack soon along with riser, anyone know if you can fit the steering rods easily whilst the rack is fitted? Or fit before fitting the rack
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]