The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By nodrog80
This is what I did today with help from terryctr.
Got the H1 HID kit from HIDS4US - 55W 5000k slim ballast got free H1 bulb holders
Got some extra strong Velcro and heat shrink from Ebay
Got 2 x 100amp fuses from Halfords

Pull the power wires with the blades back through the plastic cap.

Destroy the fuses removing the plastic and split the blades to give 4 thicker blades these provide a much better fit into the oem headlight connector.

Then solder these thicker blades onto the smaller blades on the kit wiring. Hint if your heat shrink is quite small then best to feed over small blades before soldering as its quite difficult to put it over the thick blades.

Then heat the heat shrink to provide a nice finish

Then feed the connectors to the bulb itself through the oem rubber cap from he headlight make sure you do this the right way round. Leave the plastic cover on the bulb just now. I found it easier to snip the small lip on the bulb holder wings with tin snips. It made fitting the retaining clip easier IMO. Put the bulb holder just below the plastic cover of the bulb ensure the shaft is away from the bulb so the wings are nearest the bulb.
Cut 2 strips of Velcro the same size as the ballast and stick one side of these to the back of the ballast leaving the other side until mounting in the engine.
Then connect the 3 connectors together can't really mess this up! Then good to go and fit

Difficult to get pictures of actually fitting bulb but it can basically only go in 2 ways put the grey bar at the top and put through the hole. Obviously remove the plastic protector from the bulb at this point and don't touch the bulb. Put the bulb in the hole and push the bulb holder up against the bottom of bulb then fasten the retaining clip over the back of the bulb holder. Look at the other side if you want to see how it connects. Once clipped slide the 2 rubber cups up the wiring then refit the oem rubber cap and the kit cap should push into the middle and provide a half decent seal. Then connect the power wires into the oem headlight connector. Red to red and black to black. You'll appreciate the additional bit of work soldering the bigger blades much better fit! Bit of electrical tape over this just to cover it up.

Do the other side and that's it bar mounting the ballast and tidying up. On the near side the ballast mounting was a bit more difficult but mounted on the wheel arch at the sideof the battery using the velcro. On the off side there is a flatter surface just beside the aux belt. Then a wee cable tie or 2 to keep all the wires and the other wee box out of the way. Just attach to some wiring or engine mount.

Now they're all fitted and should look like this

And give you a bit of a better view in the dark like this
By RS Grant
Are you boys anywhere near Dundee, Scotland... because I'd gladly make cups of tea and supply beer tokens if you wanted to do this job for me!! :lol:

Cheers,
Grant
By nodrog80
RS Grant wrote:Are you boys anywhere near Dundee, Scotland... because I'd gladly make cups of tea and supply beer tokens if you wanted to do this job for me!! :lol:

Cheers,
Grant
We're in Glasgow so not that close. If you're passing this way then give us a shout and could do it. But it's really easy the only fiddly bit is getting the clips back on to the hid's.

Cheers
Gordon
By RS Grant
nodrog80 wrote:We're in Glasgow so not that close. If you're passing this way then give us a shout and could do it. But it's really easy the only fiddly bit is getting the clips back on to the hid's.

Cheers
Gordon
To be fair you're a whole load closer than I thought you'd be!! ...and I'm through in Shawlands seeing friends quite a lot, so if you're serious, I'm more than keen to sort out a time to meet up. I'm not bad at DIY stuff, exhausts/wheels/turbos/anything that has nuts and bolts and requires a little brute force isn't a problem...... it's the fiddly delicate stuff like this HID malarky that I really struggle with!! :lol:

Cheers,
Grant
By GazzaK
Does this kit flicker when turning on?

Looking at adding a kit like this to my FL, can't decide on what kit to follow. Great how to btw :)
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]