The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

ok need some advise. Ive recently purchased a omp steering wheel however how do i fit it?

also what is needed to keep the passenger airbag working + stop the airbag light coming on?

if someone can tell me how i will then provide a step by step guide with photo's.

Wheel:

rear:

and yes i have used the search button and found this however still not 100% sure how:
Dunno about the FN2, but I had it out of my EP3 once to change the steering wheel. I imagine its probably similar.

Disconnect the battery and give it half an hour (dunno if the half hour is really necessary but I didn't want to test the theory.

Behind the steering wheel and going in from the side (if you get me) there are two plastic removable covers, one on each side, under those is torx headed bolt which holds the airbag in, remove those (they are very tight) lift the airbag out and disconnect the cables and horn switch, job done.

Refitting is the reversal of removal.

Not that its of importance to you really, as yur SRS light is already on, but you should never disconnect or reconnect an airbag while the battery is on, because it will put on the airbag light and the system will need to be reset by a dealer.
Thanks,
Matt
ok ive found this:

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/articles.php ... eringwheel

i just need to know about the airbag/ airbag light now?

any help would be very appreciated as have been search for a while now :sad:

Found this as well:
Re-check the airbag has been connected BEFORE you re-connect the battery as if it isn't & the airbag lights, it's a visit to Mr Honda to remove!!
so need to get it right or else it would be on by now.

after more search also found this:
Momo steering wheel boss comes with a airbag delete clip to stop dash light coming on.

From there you can fit almost any aftermarket wheel you like.
i need that airbag delete clip!

now found this:

http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/view ... ring+wheel

with the link to this:
http://www.civictype-r.co.uk/forum/view ... 3&t=155197

doesn't show how to make one though :sad:

now found this from 2003:
hey mate, i have changed mine to a momo commando sterring wheel, air bag light doenst stay on due to the fuse in between the check points on the yellow wire, its a pain to centre sometimes as u cant be too sure if it is dead centre, i think mine is but now the steering wheel shows up the dreaded pull to right scenario more, honda are sortiong this though..

if u need ne help jsut shout, bte u can see it at silverstone :)
someone must be able to help me now?

found this as well:
Coolio, i'm off outside to do mine in a minute then! Did you get a 2ohm resistor to bridge the airbag plug and keep the light off? I did when I did my steering wheel and it worked sweet.
still fookin search. now found this - even more reason to get it right!
SRS reset honda £55 !
right think ive figured it out - also good if i do set the light off.

get a 2ohm resister and stick it in the yellow thing like this:

correct?

still search. now found this:
So after fitting everything you are left with 2 connectors that used to plug into the original airbag unit. A yellow plug that has 2 pins for the SRS, which I have bridged with a resistor to cancel the SRS warning light.
confident thats all i need to do :scratch:
Right this should have been made a sticky in this section ages ago - also wish i had found this when i first started lookin!

also found a pic of what i need (i think):

guessing its just one of these under that tape:

anyway thanks to carlos will be fitting mine tomorrow :)
Carlos420uk wrote:Here's a mini fitting guide for the steering wheel, boss and quick release that I have just installed. Hopefully it will help others out if they come to fit something similar.

As said above the fitting went pretty smoothly, but I did have 2 problems after it was all done. First thing was the horn wasn't working, which for me was un-acceptable. Secondly after first installing the SRS simulator and turning the ignition I was delighted to see that it worked and the light went off as usual. Well me being me I had to see what would happen if I turned the ignition on without the sim in place; yup the light come's on and stays on...Cool i'll just put the sim back in then I thought; but alas when I re-attached the SRS sim the airbag light still stayed on and I had obviously logged an SRS fault to the ECU :roll:

Onto plan B. I thought, disconnecting the battery will surely reset the light won't it? So I left it disconnected for a few hours, and then went back out and tryed the car again with the sim in place; bloody light was still staying on :bad-words:

Luckly I had my Honda service book and youtube! So I looked up how to reset the SRS airbag light on the car and clear the fault code that I had generated. Turns out its a simple procedure, you have to get at the little yellow "MES" (Memory erase socket) plug that is located above the interior fuse box to the left slightly; its a right pain to get at and pull out unless you have child's fingers! Once you have the plug in your hand you basically have to follow the procedure in this video:-

Once I had done the above I re-attached the SRS sim and tryed the ignition again :WOOT the light stayed off!

That left me with just the horn problem, I found that I had only 1 oem wire with a plug for the horn, which the male plug from the new boss fitted into perfectly; but then I was then left with another wire with a female spade connector and nothing to attach it to :scratch: . I figured that this second wire could only go to earth, but I had no earth connector or plug to use, and the Mugen boss is alloy so wouldn't work as an earth. I noticed that the main steering colum shaft that the wheel bolts to had a 5mm hole machined in the middle of it, which gave me an idea. So of to Maplins I went and brought a bananna plug, a length of black wire and a pack of male spade plugs. I then set to work making a plug and play earth wire for the new setup with the bannana plug one end and the male spade the other. The bananna plug fitted nice and tightly into the shaft hole and the spade plug then plugged straight into the female on the new boss, voila horn works lovely!

Pics from the fitting, sorry not that good quality as it was dark when I was doing this:-

Thats all for now, i'll get some proper pics of the car and mods up soon. Haven't drove it for nearly 3 weeks now because of the bad weather Don't want to get my lovely clean arches dirty lol
Hi Matt, the resistor is available from any good electronics supplier (Such as Maplin). The one that I got with my steering wheel kit looked like a mini blade fuse with a (2) on the top, as they do have, but the bloke I got it off said it was a resistor? Either way I know its a 2ohm one you need as even Honda use one for some SRS procedures.

Basically I think your confusing the MES plug with the main driver airbag plug. The MES plug is the one below the dash thats a bugger to get at; you will need to short that out in sequence if you trigger the light on accidently. The main airbag plug (Yellow one at the steering wheel location) is where you bridge permanently with the 2ohm resistor to simulate an air-bag being present to the eps unit. The srs light will go off on ignition and the passenger airbag will still work fine once you have done this.

Getting the horn to work is another puzzle, but basically when the button is pressed it connects the single wire that usually goes to the airbag / horn to earth, thus completing the circuit and activating the horns. I mad a little wire with a banna plug on the end, then you can plug into the steering coloum and get your earth from there. Then I just hooked up the oem horn wire to one of the connectors on the back of the horn and the new earthed wire to the other side, thus when the horn is pressed the 2 contacts are connected and the horn will work.

Hope this helps you mate.
hi matt

sorry i havent replied for ages, i dont get online much these days!

i was planning to include instructions but the courier guy came early so had to get it wrapped up quick.

the instructions are pretty good so far, i never used an airbag delete cos my car didnt have any in it :lol: but the advise given so far seems good

as for the horn:

remove the old wheel and column trims, there should be an iirc orange wire on top of the column module, i think it it plugged in on its own with a white plug

on my 2003 car this was the horn wire. i simply joined a wire to it, and then manufactured a small spring plate type device out of a piece of spring steel. i attached it to the steering column so that it contacted the brass ring on the back of the boss, but was able to slip round easily. all this has to do is to connect the orange wire to earth, so that when you press the horn button on the wheel it earths the orange wire.

the easier option is to forget the wheel button and mount a horn button elsewhere, just connect the orange wire to one side of a simple switch and the other side to earth, then you dont have to mess about with the slip ring.

hope that helps mate and i hope you enjoy your wheel :)
Bump

I've got a wheel to fit and the boss (I think it's OMP) has one wire with spade connector but then the wheel has a horn button with two wires with spade connectors :scratch: I assume 2 need connecting together and the other earthing?

Also I assume the 2ohm resistor just goes straight into either plug hole to bridge the gap

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]