The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By djohare
Does a good job :)
seen this on another website, heres a step by step guide>

what you need is a non metallic container (mug) put a folded bit of aluminium foil down one side of the mug, connected a wire for the negative (note in my pic i have the red and black leads the wrong way round GEARKNOB GOES TO BATTERY POSITIVE, FOIL GOES TO NEGATIVE). i attached my gearknob to a bolt and hung it into the coke (i used diet but i dont think it matters) THE GEARKNOB AND FOIL MUST NOT TOUCH.

the best way to do it is get your gearknob hanging in the coke and make sure theyre not touching before you connect the battery (batteries).

For my first attempt i used two batteries for 18v and got the results below after about 1 minute, a bit blotchy and not really the colour i was looking for.

so i added another battery and put it back in for another minute..... getting more like it now :thumbup:

i then started trying again, adding more and more batteries, but it just started going a bit grey. i sanded it down with a bit of wet and dry in a drill (took about 30 secs) and tryed a few more times. to get it looking like below i had 7 batteries connected together (63v, i think voltages upto 150v are used) and connected the power for about 3 secs, span it round 180 degrees and gave it another 3 secs.this was because i found the side nearest the foil changes colour a lot more quickly.

The idea is that different colours can be gained by using different voltages, but you would usually have an adjustable power supply and better solutions than coke to get a broad spectrum of repeatable colouring. even so, just with the batteries and coke, i'm sure you can get good results by experimenting a bit........there's a lot more info out there on this, i have barely touched the surface.

...If anyone tries this, post their pics up :)
By sa08
bornlucky1 wrote:Dont buy coke myself - would lilt work?
Mmmmm Lilt, with a totally tropical taste! :-D
By mjhamilton
that is pretty cool... fyi if you make the foil go around the cup you will get an even coat in one go, although of course this will make it all a little dangerous trying to stop contact :thumbup:

... does your now purple knob still taste of coke when you lick the tip? :lol: :lol:
By bornlucky1
sa08 wrote:
bornlucky1 wrote:Dont buy coke myself - would lilt work?
Mmmmm Lilt, with a totally tropical taste! :-D
Do different liquids produce different funky effects - if so then tizer would be :cooldude:
By foolserrand1985
mjhamilton wrote:that is pretty cool... fyi if you make the foil go around the cup you will get an even coat in one go, although of course this will make it all a little dangerous trying to stop contact :thumbup:

... does your now purple knob still taste of coke when you lick the tip? :lol: :lol:
How so? In the picture contact is made and broken at the battery terminal.

Tempted to give this a crack, just need to find something I want to coat..
By mjhamilton
foolserrand1985 wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:that is pretty cool... fyi if you make the foil go around the cup you will get an even coat in one go, although of course this will make it all a little dangerous trying to stop contact :thumbup:

the elctrons flow from the foil in the cup to the metalic knob and the reaction causes the coating on the surface..... you see the foil it only on one side of the cup.. if this were to run around the entire circumferance of the cup there would be an even coating...

.... however you would need to start again and work out the number of batteried required as the resistance would be greatly increased...

Forget my babble and stick with the tested method above.. this rocks and it is noce to see old school chemistry being used in the garden shed :thumbup:
By foolserrand1985
mjhamilton wrote:
foolserrand1985 wrote:

the elctrons flow from the foil in the cup to the metalic knob and the reaction causes the coating on the surface..... you see the foil it only on one side of the cup.. if this were to run around the entire circumferance of the cup there would be an even coating...

.... however you would need to start again and work out the number of batteried required as the resistance would be greatly increased...

Forget my babble and stick with the tested method above.. this rocks and it is noce to see old school chemistry being used in the garden shed :thumbup:
Sorry, I understood that part. I was meaning how is it more dangerous if the circuit is made and broken at the batteries?
By mjhamilton
foolserrand1985 wrote:
mjhamilton wrote:
foolserrand1985 wrote:

Sorry, I understood that part. I was meaning how is it more dangerous if the circuit is made and broken at the batteries?
oh I see... ok.. when you put your knob in the coke you just need to be a little more careful when you connect up the battery that's all.,
By samg1988
im struggling to get this to work.

Did you have your gear knob polished before hand? I've tried sanding mine a little first using wet and dry and a drill.

Even using 8 batteries nothing happens, and you said it happened in 3 seconds with 7 batteries :(

By rico83
samg1988 wrote:im struggling to get this to work.

Did you have your gear knob polished before hand? I've tried sanding mine a little first using wet and dry and a drill.

Even using 8 batteries nothing happens, and you said it happened in 3 seconds with 7 batteries :(

You'll need to sand it more than that. You need the ALU exposed, it will be laquered (sic). Looks like it was polished first.
By samg1988
well, I polished my knob for a good 15 minutes with a drill and 1500. No laquer in sight. But still, nothing. Just a sticky knob.

Maybe mines not titanium for some reason. Pre-facelift EP3.
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]