The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Tomw88
bluntcap wrote:
jase_87 wrote:
bluntcap wrote:No idea why your 1st gear feels different......the shifter only shortens the throw, it doesn't affect the actual gearbox in anyway. All I can think is that the "crunch" you feel was already there, but as the throw is 30% shorter it just makes the crunch alot closer.........understand?

good thinking batman :thumbup:

although my car has only done 36k :scratch:
Mine's only done 39K and there's a slight difference in 2nd gear.........most CTRs have it mate, nothing to worry about. Next time you get a service (or even before) Drop the transmission oil and fill it up with Honda MTF-3 and some Slick 50 Gearbox oil treatment (halfords £15.99) I did this and it's improved my gear changes alot.
thats good to know :thumbup:
dont have much problem with my 2nd gear, now and again it crunches
think i will give this a try!
By sloan85
Just fitted the Tegiwa version of this. Cheers for the write up, the Tegiwa instructions aren't the best.

One thing I found is to make sure you put the spring clip back before puting the linkage on the short shifter. The shape of the bush means it will push through the spring clip when it is in position. I found it impossible to put the spring clip back once everything was connected.
By bluntcap
Ok, see the 2nd [picture in your post above, see the 2 white knobs at the end of the shifter, see the 2 dark lines over each of them........that's the clip mate, it's only the one on the left that needs to be removed, it6 just keeps the white knob thing in place while gear changes are happening.

Know which bit I mean ok??
By devil84
bluntcap wrote:Ok, see the 2nd [picture in your post above, see the 2 white knobs at the end of the shifter, see the 2 dark lines over each of them........that's the clip mate, it's only the one on the left that needs to be removed, it6 just keeps the white knob thing in place while gear changes are happening.

Know which bit I mean ok??
oh really - i thought they were grooves lol :lol:

yes i get it - as you say - its quite springy?, so therefore when detaching, you need to make sure it does not fly off when you loosen?

Is that right?

Also, is there any side effects of putting short shifters on. Hearing some stories on here , about people not being able to put in certain gears etc or putting in wrong gear when going at speeds over the (unintended) gear change will allow.

I see peoples first response is: 'have you put short shifter on'

any comments?
By bluntcap
Yea it can spring away if you're not careful, I was just so so careful and did it slowly so it wasn't a problem, bit of a pain to put back on. Maybe tie a long piece of string onto incase you drop as you try to put it back on, then it'll be easily retrieved.

I have never never had an issue. The Neuspeed shifter shortens the vertical throw not the horizontal throw. If it were the horizontal I could see it being an issue but not the vertical.

The only thing that caused my reverse gear to be a little tight was the metal gear bushes that you can buy, but it wasn't anything bad it just tightened it up a good bit. Some people have had issues, but I never did.
By haggis
just used this guide to fit my Short shifter

great write up Blunty!

i never came across any bother, having small hands is a help though :D :thumbup:
By bluntcap
haggis wrote:just used this guide to fit my Short shifter

great write up Blunty!

i never came across any bother, having small hands is a help though :D :thumbup:
Good to hear it came in handy mate :thumbup: :thumbup:
By bluntcap
Yea I have them as well, I really like the 2 together, but you may find the short shifter is enough, the bushes will just stiffen everything up, making the changes feel very very precise. However some people think it's a bit to stiff, but I like it.
By haggis
stiffer the better imo! :lol:

got the ES engine mount inserts, and got some superpro polybushes on the way

i reckon the shifter bushings would be the icing on the cake, i like nice precise shifting :D
By bluntcap
Sounds like they will be perfect for you :lol: Just get the four for the bottom of the cables that attach to the top of the gearbox beside the engine. No need for the others that go around the actual shifter in the cab......can't see the point in them at all. :thumbup:
By Duke748s
Top write up!

I've just fitted the tegiwa short shifter, managed to get it done in about 15 mins. Mine when straight on without any filing. I heard some people had a problem with the fitment of both the tegiwa and the neuspeed. Makes a hell of a difference alot more than i was expecting?
What difference do the metal bushes make?

Thanks again for the quality how to :thumbup:
By bluntcap
Duke748s wrote:Top write up!

I've just fitted the tegiwa short shifter, managed to get it done in about 15 mins. Mine when straight on without any filing. I heard some people had a problem with the fitment of both the tegiwa and the neuspeed. Makes a hell of a difference alot more than i was expecting?
What difference do the metal bushes make?

Thanks again for the quality how to :thumbup:
Glad it helped you mate :thumbup:

The metal gear bushes really tighten everything up, most people love it like I did, some find it to tight. But they don't cost much, 18 quid. worth a shot in my eyes.
By bluntcap
Dixy1987 wrote:I fitted mine today using your guide - Cheers mate. :thumbup:

The difference is amazing! Feels so much better, a lot like how the S2000 gear change feels.
Good to hear mate :thumbup: Yea the gear change is much improved with them.
By AL1 786
Hey Blunty!
Fitted my Neuspeed Short Shifter few days ago and WOW gear changes are so much more precise and feel sharp! OEM was Excellant but now its Awesome!
Personally, I feel its helped sort out issues with 2nd and Reverse gear!
10/10 Highly Recommended! :thumbup:

P.S. Quality write up mate! :thumbup: However, because im a numpty I butchered the gear knob lock nut whilst trying to take it off! :lol: Would have been nice if you mentioned on how to remove this for novices like myself! :roflmao:

Ibrahim!

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]