The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By bluntcap
You begin with removing the lower part of the gear surround, take off the gear knob, place your fingers firmly into the rubber gaiter curling them behind the chrome piece, gentle but firmly pull it towards you. Once it has come out about an inch it needs to be pulled out and down the ensure the clips release properly.

Once it is out enough you will see the connections for the hazard light and the cigarette lighter, you only need to undo the hazard light switch to get enough access, just remove the clasp that holds it together.

Now you have exposed the gear leaver, the gear leaver should be put into the 4th gear position before removing anything

It is the white knob on the left you will be removing, what you need to do is un clasp the small metal hook type device, just gentle but firmly push the clasp opposite ways from each other so it slids off BE SURE TO NOT DROP IT! This is what it looks like after it is off

Then easily remove the gear linkage off the gear stick

The next bit is the the bit I found the most awkward, you need a 12mm spanner or a small adjustable spanner, gentle prie the plastic part off the metal ball, this is done by placing the open end of the spanner under the plastic bit and firmly using it to push it off, take your time with this as again YOU DONT WANT TO DROP THIS PIECE!

Once that bit is off, attach it to the neuspeed shifter part, by placing it on the ground and pushing the metal ball of the short shifter into it until it pops in......it is quite stiff but easily done.

Once that's done slide the short shifter onto the OEM gear shifter from the right hand side you can see the open ends that allow it on

After this place the other part of the neuspeed short shifter on the left handside this part is what is screwed on to keep it in place

Then screw all the bolts down tight and re attach the gear linkage at the back, theis again is quite fiddely trying to get the metal clasp back on, JUST TAKE YOUR TIME

Then put back the gear surround and screw on the gear knob

Jobs a goodun :thumbup:

It took me 20-30 minutes to do this, as for how it feels after is pretty dam impressive I have to say, the gear stick sits further forward, gear shifts are VERY much shorter and feel so much better. It has smoothed out my 2nd gear A LOT and helped make my reverse gear feel a lot lot better. All in all this is a fantastic modification for the money 10/10 from me :salut:
Always wondered how these went in, good write up. Glad your happy with I mate, think I'll treat myself to one of these going to get some shifter bushes an skunk 2 gearknob at the same time, hopefully make an improvement all round I guess?
By bluntcap
GSCTR wrote:Always wondered how these went in, good write up. Glad your happy with I mate, think I'll treat myself to one of these going to get some shifter bushes an skunk 2 gearknob at the same time, hopefully make an improvement all round I guess?
100% mate, I have the metal gear bushes and skunk 2 gear knob aswell, now with the short shifter the gear change and feel is 100 times better than OEM.......and at OEM it was already very very good :thumbup:

Its a must do my eyes pal.
By bluntcap
sdc25 wrote:Looks good mate.might have to pop up and get you to do mine :thumbup:

just after you take me for a run in ya motor lol
:lol: No worries mate :thumbup:

Newannaive wrote:Nice write up...but I have to ask, are those your hands or wifeys..?
I only have 1 reply for that..................... :badrazz:
By Spriggs
Nice write up, recieved mine from group buy yesterday so will be fitting tomorrow morning.

Feel more confidentof fitting now, cheers :thumbup:
By bluntcap
Stevo M81 wrote:Good write up Blunt, how much is it for a Neuspeed shortshifter as it looks like a nice mod
Aaron Coady is doing them in the group buy section mate, £63 delivered, only has a few left if your intrested. Well worth mod for sure.
By bluntcap
BlakMagik wrote:very good write up mate :thumbup:

might have to invest in one...where did you get the metal bushes for it??
Do you mean the metal gear bushes that go on the end of the gear linkages?? If so a member is selling them, gurdoiz is his name I think, if you can't find it let me know and I'll get you a link.....i'd do it now but I'm on my iPhone.
bluntcap wrote:
BlakMagik wrote:very good write up mate :thumbup:

might have to invest in one...where did you get the metal bushes for it??
Do you mean the metal gear bushes that go on the end of the gear linkages?? If so a member is selling them, gurdoiz is his name I think, if you can't find it let me know and I'll get you a link.....i'd do it now but I'm on my iPhone.
er thats what i meant mate! its alright, i found them :-D ....think all the short shifter kits have been sold on group buy, and there so much more expensive on other sites ive looked at :sad:
By bluntcap
mat wrote:great guide blunt, well written, excellent pictures!

i think that the foo's have unwittingly saved you from having a completely terrible taste in musics!

mat.
:lol: I know mate, bit of a :oops: moment with the other CD.

deus3x wrote:I am interested in one of these, where would i get one please?
Im sure the likes of Unit 8, TDi North and CPL can get you one no problem mate. All registered traders on here aswell :thumbup:
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]