The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

What a guide, just got my civic and wanted a full service.

Printed off and took to the car and followed every step.

Engine and gearbox oil now have TOP QUALITY stuff in. I am doing spark plugs and putting my standard air filter back on next week too.

Thanks for making this guide dude.
Hello mate, would you be able to link us up to somewhere to buy the spark plug removal tool? I have a Halfords thingy at the moment which according to your guide, won't fit properly!

Oh and also, what diameter is the tubing used to fill the gearbox?

Thanks for this write up!! You should get a medal! :salut:

Serviced my car on Wednesday with my mechanic mate's help. It did help that it was up on a ramp, but me virtually memorising this how-to, impressed my mate to no end!! " the oil filter is under the arch mate!", "stick some copperslip on them spark plugs", It takes all 5L of the oil!", Only needs 1.7L for the gearbox!" , " I already did the airfilter". And he thought I knew nothing about servicing my car!! He was impressed!

Did an all over check and everything else seemed good, except for my CAT's cover was badly rusted up.

Looking forward to my next service now!! :thumbup:
Hi all,
Just thought I would add the following from my workshop manual which seems to have been missed.

Sump plug tightening torque is 39Nm (very important!).

Oil filter torque is 22Nm (need a special tool to do this, advise to do it as tight as physically possible by hand.

Oil filter removal tool best to do this is a "claw" type. You can get one from Screwfix for about £12, works lovely on all filters I have ever removed and is worth buying.

Tightening torque for air filter screws/bolts is 3Nm (very light!). The reason for this is that they rust. 3Nm is quite a light torque, you would need a bicyle type one for this. Ligthly by hand I find is fine.

Oil capacity is 4.7 Litre (officially) with a new filter. This has been bang on every time for me. Advise to fill to just over 4 litres, run for 3 minutes (again workshop manual advies this), then check the level after 5 minutes resting. Also check for leaks at this point!

Hope this helps, I think the above are essential to know. :bigthumb:

Ian

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]