The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

modd1uk wrote:Quick thread revival, im seeing numerous gearbox oil amounts here to use, the guide says 1.7, somebody said 1.8, honda told me 1.5 today, and autodata also says 1.5. Im doing it tomorrow so would like to know how much to use.
You can only buy them in litres anyway I think, in which case 2 bottles is needed. I only used 1.5 and it was full.
A good guide...just used it to change oil and gearbox oil. :salut:

My observations...

Need rags

There was no way a could get enough purchase just using my hands under the car to remove the filter, and there is no angle to tap it round with a screwdriver, so i punched a screwdriver straight through filter to remove...probably use the
end-cap tool next time.

also couldnt reach the gearbox top bolt with the wheel on, so had to take it off
Barney wrote:A good guide...just used it to change oil and gearbox oil. :salut:

My observations...

Need rags

There was no way a could get enough purchase just using my hands under the car to remove the filter, and there is no angle to tap it round with a screwdriver, so i punched a screwdriver straight through filter to remove...probably use the
end-cap tool next time.

also couldnt reach the gearbox top bolt with the wheel on, so had to take it off
I couldn't get the car high enough to be able to work from underneath the car but I found that removing the off side wheel and lying almost on my back (legs to the rear of the car) and then reaching up/behind with my right arm gave the correct angle to allow removal by hand
Im glad you guys are still enjoying my guide! :lol:

I am now back into Honda ownership! Ive got myself a FN2. However this will be serviced at the stealers, unless I do some interim oil changes.
this is a good guide however I would say I would'nt consider this a Full service.
that contains the following bits aswell:
remove all wheels and inspect brake components.
check exhaust system
check bushings
check brake lines for leaks or corrosion
perform. antifreeze test on radiator coolant
check batt terminals
check operation of steering
check coil springs
check tyre tread depths
check any play in bearings
check lights
if any of the above have a problem or low then take a % of life left or how soon they need replacing. any items on brake system need to be considered 1st.
grease hinges to doors or boot.
check wipers.
aswell
topup coolant
topup washer bottle
topup brake fluid
topup clutch fluid

this is a Full service.
I don't wait till mot time for these things as some things like brakes and tyres need to be addressed sooner.
No your incorrect - there is yet more: timing chain/belts, aux belts, tentioners, valve clearances, etc.

Take it with a pinch of salt. This was just to help fellow owners out with basic servicing. I am not going to write a guide telling someone how to check their lights, brake disc tollerances, etc.
christurbo wrote:No your incorrect - there is yet more: timing chain/belts, aux belts, tentioners, valve clearances, etc.

Take it with a pinch of salt. This was just to help fellow owners out with basic servicing. I am not going to write a guide telling someone how to check their lights, brake disc tollerances, etc.
don't take it in the wrong way but someone reading this post will presume this is a full service as that is what you stated it is.
as for tensioner and belts etc -no that is known as the major service and not in every full service.
if you see a service scheduale sheet it points out what needs to be done. I know this as I did servicing and most services at a decent garage follow schedule servicing normally from autodata.
I am glad you said its basic servicing as your orignal post said Full service which it isn't.
would of been good to have pointed out to all that this guide doesn't fully follow service scheduales e.g the things I listed.
no need to write guides on how to check lights most members will know how.
brakes is another matter best to get someone who knows how or a mechanic.

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]