The largest Civic Type R club forum

Established in 2002 it brings together people from all over the world to discuss their one love of Type R's.

By Newannaive
Been meaning to do this for ages as one of my rev counter bulbs had blown..another one blew the other day so replaced all of them today...took about 20mins.

Thanks to tuf for telling me how to do it..thought I'd take a couple of pictures plus get the bulb details as Honda want 5quid per bulb plus holder..(you only need the bulbs)...I went to a local motor factors and got 10 bulbs for 6quid. :cooldude:

stuff needed
philips/star screwdriver (stubby)
9x Lucas LLB286T 12v 1.2w PCB bulbs
can of beer.

First off, drop the steering wheel to give you some room and give the black plastic surround a little tug and it will come out, start at bottom and then just ease out the top.

Next undo the 3 little screws to remove the clocks

2 at bottom...

..and 1 at top.

Now prise the clocks forward to gain access to the 2 wiring plugs.(turn ignition off, this was my testing the lights piccy)

Take the clocks in the house and crack open a beer...

flip them upside down and you will see 9 black bulb holders..(I had already taken out the far right one in pic to take to shop and find the right bulbs..also the 2 that are missing on top right of pic must be for a different model civic, not needed)

Twist and pull each bulb holder to remove, they come out easy. Mine were all a little scorched and the two that were blown were even worse.

Replace each bulb with one of your shiny new Lucas bulbs, 10 for 6quid. :-D

Take the clocks back to the car and test it, plug in the wiring plugs and turn the lights on...I had to remove one of mine as it didn't work but it turned out the little wire on the bulb was twisted and wasn't making contact, bent it back into shape and it was fine.

Refit....

and enjoy brighter clocks... :salut:

By Newannaive
CIVICTYPER786 wrote:hi

just out of interest how come the little orange alarm light is on?

because I'd turned the ignition on without disabling the immobiliser.

Mr Anderson wrote:What beer do we need? No pic of that :roll:
I knew you'd say that. It was fosters. :salut:

tse_adam wrote:fantastic instructions. I'll know what to do if something blows.
t'was my pleasure. :smile:

djtopa wrote:Can somebody tell me are that bulb the same in the central console(where are AC,vent controls)?
I don't think they are the same buddy, I have had my centre panel out and iirc they are an led light of some kind.

ImportR wrote:Good tip about the bulbs! :thumbup:

was just wondering.....are LED replacements available to fit the dash?
I'm not sure mate, if they come in a similar sort of holder then I can't see it being a problem, I have not heard of or seen any though.
By WoodyzR
Anyone tried a bulb colour change yet??

Not that there is anything wrong with the standard ones!
By Syfa
Great instructions for a very easy job thank you matey - easy when you know how :) - My missus was a little puzzled when I took out a can of Stella.

Just in case anyone else wants to do what i did - DON'T - The LED lights are Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiteeee in the dashboard - swapped them all back out again lol

Long time ago I had and Ep3 for 220k kilometers in[…]